BiLT riding gear any info on quality?

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Just recently got the latest flyer from Cycle Gear and saw some new very resonably priced gear they sell called BiLT. The prices look great yet ive always thought you get what you pay for. Does anybody have any info on the gear the make/sell? Any info would be appreciated :)

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering about those $69 dollar boots myself! Anyone with any experience with BiLT? Rich

i went into to cycle gear when they launched the BiLT line, theyve done away with frank thomas

the boots are pretty minimal.. its leather, but there isnt much else.. my frank thomas boots have all kinds of reinforcements here and there... id say the bilt boots are about on par with some touring boots.. just higher up the calf

the suits feel well "Bilt", the stitching is internal, but flatened so you cant feel it, but they lack vents, just has perforations in certain arears.. not soo good for texas

all in all, i say the line is appropriately priced.. probably wont last as long as astars or dainese, but its good street gear.. i wouldnt track BiLT

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought I remembered reading through a thread about the BiLT stuff, but I couldn't for the life of me remember where. I found it...

Bilt Helmets/Jackets/Suits - Sportbikes.net

Personally, after reading through that thread, I wouldn't use the stuff for anything other than low-speed commuting. And if that's true that they discontinued the Frank Thomas line, that's a shame. I don't have any Frank Thomas stuff personally, but I've seen a lot of it and it seemed like quality stuff.

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I read more into it on the sportbikes.net and it seems like if you want some cheap entry level gear go for it, otherwise spend a little extra and get some decent quality gear. Maybe if a few people start buying it and say it is as good as some of the reputible brands i may consider looking into it further. :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I heard that the gear starts falling apart just after a few rides. Kind of puts Cycle Gear in a very embarrasing situation. Not sure why they have selected to carry this brand.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard that the gear starts falling apart just after a few rides. Kind of puts Cycle Gear in a very embarrasing situation. Not sure why they have selected to carry this brand.

Their Frank Thomas house brand seemed to fall appart. I picked up a pair of the stunt boots only to have them fail quickly. After that, I avoided FT at all costs. I did buy the new Bilt leather pants for $100 bucks. I have never had a pair so I have no frame of reference to judge the quality. So far the seem ok after one ride. Going on a long ride this weekend so they will be put to the test.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I have BiLT gear as my first gear because im a new rider but i really like the stuff.

I have bilt trackstar leather boots Cycle Gear - BILT: Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Boots, BLACK i bought them because they were only 99 bucks and provided much better protection then tennis shoes. They were uncomfortable as heck the first day i rode with them but the quickly got very comfortable to wear i can walk all over with them. NO crash experience, i did have a few fall overs where the bike fell on me and my feet are still here :).

I also bought their trackstar perforated leather jacket. Not only because it was on sale for 159 but because i tried on the other slightly more expensive brands and they were more uncomfortable. Cycle Gear - BILT: Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Jacket, BLACK I got rid of the thin foam back protector and put in a joe rocket one which cost 80 bucks but at least can protect a back lol.

Over all im very happy with them as my first gear. Cycle gear has a crazy return policy where you can wear stuff for 30 days and if you dont like it just return it. And the staff near me spent a few hours helping me get the correct size of stuff.

When i get better at riding i will most likely want better gear but for now im happy :D

Oh yea I also bought the trackstar bilt gloves but i returned them quick. VERY uncomfortable and bought a pair of sedici gaunlet gloves that im very happy with.

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2pc frank thomas leather suit and love it. It looks great and fits great and it appears to be well made. I also have a motoboss 2pc mesh suit (got from them for under $100 on clearance) and the pants are the exact same as the fieldsheer mesh pants that sell for nearly $200. I think the mesh suit is very good quality as well. It is nicer than my old mesh jacket.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
ive got a bilt mesh jacket, it dosent have that expensive feel like some of the others do but i have no complaints, it was a very good price and so far everything has held up well....it is only a few months old at the same time so we will see as time progress

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
yea i just bought a helmet and looked for people on here that had looked into it. i found just whats been said that it is a cycle gear exclusive but the reviews i saw on it were way more good than bad. pretty nice helmet i think but mine are basic no design. i dont have any with dragons or any elaborate things on it. i would hope that cycle gear wouldnt sell crap gear because if word gets out then thats on the whole business. the other gear i looked at didnt have as many bells and whistles either but im sure they get the job done.

RustyBasterd

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a bilt mesh jacket it works fine. Its not flashy the fit isnt perfect but for the price its a solid piece of gear. I got mine to hold me over until I can upgrade to something more substantial.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a bilt mesh jacket it works fine. Its not flashy the fit isnt perfect but for the price its a solid piece of gear. I got mine to hold me over until I can upgrade to something more substantial.

same here plus it did match my helmet and my bike so that was a plus....

siksoundz

Reaction score
Visit site
hi me and my wife both use bilt helmets so far so good vents could be better but they work i have no complaints about the helmet execpt 1 thing it is only dot not dot and snell cert but other than that good product fot the price 59.99 helmet and my wife has a bilt jacket and she loves it 69.99 on sale from 139.99