bike tipped over, need help!

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike got tipped over on the left side. Thank god for the extended frame sliders. But I think my handlebar got knocked off alignment a little. Looks like it's tilting a little to the left. Is there an easy fix for this? How much would the dealer charge me?

Thanks in advance.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you have aftermarket bars then it is a one piece handlebar.
When you say it is tilting to the left it sounds to me like the bars are bent. Once they are bent there is no going back and they should be replaced.

If the bars moved without bending then they would have rotated forward or backward in the bar clamps. If you put the bike on the center stand and turn the bars all the way to the left and check the relation of the bar to the tank, then turn to the right and check the same. If they are different then the bars are likely bent. If not then they may be ok and need to be rotated back to where you want them.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I took in my bike for the 600 miles service today and told the dealer what happened. First he asked if I was going through insurance and I said I'm trying to work it out with the guy who hit me first. I asked for an estimate and he said that would take 3 hours. Hmm. So I asked him for a quick estimate as I just need to let the guy know how much it will cost. So he took a quick look and said the front fairing stay might be off. He said when bike tipped over the weight of the front fairing may have pushed the front fairing stay. Is this possible?

Anyway, right now the bike is in the shop just for the 600 miles services ($287.54 by the way). The lower left front fairing is a little scratched as well as the left rear grab handle (very, very minor).

Anyway, here's the price quote for the parts:

Stay 1 = $135.99
Panel assembly 1 = $429.99
handle, seat = $138.99

Does this price seem right? Oh, he also said it would take two hours of labor at $89/hr.

Once I get the bike back I will post pictures. Is there a particular angle of the picture that I should take?

I did take picture of the damages before, check it out, frame slider rules!

Last edited:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I took in my bike for the 600 miles service today and told the dealer what happened. First he asked if I was going through insurance and I said I'm trying to work it out with the guy who hit me first. I asked for an estimate and he said that would take 3 hours. Hmm. So I asked him for a quick estimate as I just need to let the guy know how much it will cost. So he took a quick look and said the front fairing stay might be off. He said when bike tipped over the weight of the front fairing may have pushed the front fairing stay. Is this possible?

Anyway, right now the bike is in the shop just for the 600 miles services ($287.54 by the way). The lower left front fairing is a little scratched as well as the left rear grab handle (very, very minor).

Anyway, here's the price quote for the parts:

Stay 1 = $135.99
Panel assembly 1 = $429.99
handle, seat = $138.99

Does this price seem right? Oh, he also said it would take two hours of labor at $89/hr.

Once I get the bike back I will post pictures. I did take picture of the damages before, check it out, frame slider rules!

Factory parts are usually pretty expensive in general. I would say thats pretty close but to be sure, ask the User Krid80, he works in Service a Bike store.

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
STAY - 152
BODY, FRONT UPPER 1 - 392
REAR FLASHER LIGHT - 24
HANDLE, SEAT - 195

What about the Stator cover and Exhaust Shroud? Also I would be surprised if the stay is damaged, most likey if the fairing is out of whack it is the bracked that attaches it to the frame is bent a little.

If you got hit, why are you not getting insurance to deal with it?

Also 600 mile service for 300 bucks is tossing your money out the door. Learn to service your own bike it is easy. Stay away from the stealership.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
STAY - 152
BODY, FRONT UPPER 1 - 392
REAR FLASHER LIGHT - 24
HANDLE, SEAT - 195

What about the Stator cover and Exhaust Shroud? Also I would be surprised if the stay is damaged, most likey if the fairing is out of whack it is the bracked that attaches it to the frame is bent a little.

If you got hit, why are you not getting insurance to deal with it?

Also 600 mile service for 300 bucks is tossing your money out the door. Learn to service your own bike it is easy. Stay away from the stealership.

Not sure what stator cover and exhaust shroud are, but the damages to the bike were pretty much shown on the pictures posted. Very slight scratch on the clutch lever and bar ends. I think they're trying to screw me too! I will hold off on the repairs until I get some pictures. If the stay is not damaged and the fairing is out of whack, is that hard to fix by myself?

The only reason I'm thinking of not getting insurance involve is because I'm afraid my rate will go up or that I will have to pay deductible. I'm pretty sure it's his fault (I got him on video saying 'I didn't see you') and he pretty much said he would take care of me. I'm just afraid that when insurance get involved he changes his story and say it was my fault.

I actually got the 600 mile service included in the contract price. I just didn't tell the service people about this so they won't skimp out on doing full service. I'll let them know when I go pick up the bike :D

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
You can find our online parts fiche for your bike here: Festus, Missouri, Polaris, Tomberlin, Victory, Yamaha, ATV, Motorcycle, Utility-Vehicles, Watercraft, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Apparel

If you place a web order through that site, you get 20% off your whole order (discount is often not reflected until you get your order confirmation email).

From your pictures, looks like you need the attached (all prices are retail)

attachment.php

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait a minute, very confused. How come my dealer quoted me $138.99 for seat handle and yours $248.95?? He said it's all one piece.

Well I'm going to wait a few days till I get my bike back and get the pictures for yall to analyze. I sure hope it's a quick fix.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Wait a minute, very confused. How come my dealer quoted me $138.99 for seat handle and yours $248.95?? He said it's all one piece.

Well I'm going to wait a few days till I get my bike back and get the pictures for yall to analyze. I sure hope it's a quick fix.

I dunno, maybe they didn't look it up or looked up the wrong thing.

here's a screen shot of the part listed on Yamaha's Dealer system showing current MSRP and availability.

attachment.php

Acsmith02

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, the wife didn't see where I had parked when she backed my truck right into my bike. I thought my bars were bent as well. It end up being that they slid too the left a little bit and were rotated forwards. A 10 mm socket and about 5 min of adjustments had it fixed right up :) I was lucky, only other damage was a scuffed up bar weight, scuffed up turn signal, and a broken foot peg.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you sit on the bike, on the center stand, you can usually see if the front end is crooked / bent up.. It's most likely the front stay.

On my 07,(which was dropped on both sides by the previous owner-on 2 different occasions) I could see the front end bent up and over, just slightly. The front stay is what supports the entire front plastic nose. It doesn't take much to bend them. I didn't want to screw with trying to straighten it (maybe 3/4" out) and just replaced it with the other plastic parts/gas tank,mirror, etc. About $1300 in parts alone, I did all the labor.

Two hours labor isn't bad, I had more time into mine as I had to replace the stay, gas tank/fuel pump/rt side pod/timing chain cover besides the entire nose and rt mirror....

Last edited:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Stay away from Dealership prices on parts and labor whenever possible. Ronayers.com is a good site to buy OEM parts from. The handlebar and stay are fairly easy to replace yourself, saving what will probably end up in a few hundread dollars of labor from the dealership. I recently went through a replacement of the entire front cowling 1, stay, and handlebar, so if you have any questions, just let me know.

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, not sure how it works 'state side' but it makes sense that if your involved in an accident and it's not your fault then the person who IS at fault should pay to have your bike restored as NEW - they or their insurance, who cares which, you shouldn't have to pay a penny. In which case, who cares how much it costs - get the OEM gear. It should have zero bearing on your insurance - it wasn't your fault. :confused:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys, thank you for all your help and support. I am so ticked off right now this happened to my brand new (1 months old, 600+ miles). Anywho, I got my bike back from the 600 miles service. The bill? $322!!! I politely gave them an IOU note (price of first service was included in my contract) and paid nothing :D

I took some pictures for you to analyze. It seems that the technician who did the service took my bike for a test ride and noticed that something was not aligned (he said a lot, I noticed a little) and he fixed it for me. So I guess the front stay was not damaged?? I do now notice a damage to the left front fairing, there's a gap in it, look like it popped off. I wonder how much it will cost to fix that.

I've decided to go the insurance route. I'm going to ask dealer to keep the original parts maybe I can sell it here. ;)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys, thank you for all your help and support. I am so ticked off right now this happened to my brand new (1 months old, 600+ miles). Anywho, I got my bike back from the 600 miles service. The bill? $322!!! I politely gave them an IOU note (price of first service was included in my contract) and paid nothing :D

I took some pictures for you to analyze. It seems that the technician who did the service took my bike for a test ride and noticed that something was not aligned (he said a lot, I noticed a little) and he fixed it for me. So I guess the front stay was not damaged?? I do now notice a damage to the left front fairing, there's a gap in it, look like it popped off. I wonder how much it will cost to fix that.

I've decided to go the insurance route. I'm going to ask dealer to keep the original parts maybe I can sell it here. ;)

You should be able to loosen that panel, there's some retainers (that's not supposed to be seen) that looks like it popped out and is showing. It'll probably go back in once removed, re-installed. There's several allen head bolts holding in the panel..

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
"You should be able to loosen that panel, there's some retainers (that's not supposed to be seen) that looks like it popped out and is showing. It'll probably go back in once removed, re-installed. There's several allen head bolts holding in the panel.. "

Thanks. I got that part fixed today, fairly simple.