bike spluttering on acceleration

Back2biking

Reaction score
Visit site
hey all my 2004 fz6 is spluttering on acceleration especially from 2nd gear on.The bike was running perfect until i went away for a few weeks.It was left outside under a cover.The idle speed is not consistent now jumping from 1000 to 1200rpm.I have been told it could be water in the tank.condensation building up in the tank.So what do u reckon guys?

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I would personally first check the spark plugs. See if one is different than the others. This can indicate a problem with a cylinder/fuel injector.

While you have them out, make sure to replace them.

If all the spark plugs look good and once replaced, try out the bike. It may have been a plug going bad.

If you still have problems, use a full fuel system cleaner. This will make sure it is not a partially clogged injector or some water in the lines.

from there, it gets tricky due to it may being electrical. But before any speculation, I would take a day and do the sparkplugs/fuel system clean.

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
it could be a little water, or plugs or injector prob but also when you take the tank off check the vaccum hoses too, somthing couldve happened to one of them.

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
Had my 2004 TPS changed about 3 weeks ago under the recall. It was acting like I was hitting the rev limiter at about 7K RPM. Runs like new now.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If it ran fine before it was parked, it sounds like a fuel issue. Buy some seafoam or something similar and I bet that will clear it up, if it is a fuel issue and not the tps

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being an '04 your bike shouldn't come under the TPS recall, seems that only the '05 model year was affected, may be worth double checking that your bike is indeed an '04 model?

Recall Details for YAMAHA - YZF - R1, FZ6 S/N, FJR1300, TDM900, MT-01, XV1700PC AND XT660R/X

Yamahaboyz

Keep in mind a TPS can fail whether it is under recall or not. Being it's an 04 it could be worn and any device can become defective.
Since there is a mode we can put the FZ6 in to test the TPS it never hurts to take a look at it if it might be suspect.

To the OP,
Does the bike sputter only when the rear wheel is in motion? Or does it sputter regardless off rear wheel movement?

Last edited: