Bike is dying during idle.

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my 2006 FZ6 sitting for about a month and a half. Originally I thought I had a fuel pump problem so I was saving for a new one but the issue turned out to be a bent breather hose. Anyway, I took the time off riding for some fixes: replaced neutral switch, re-soldered the kill switch, oil change, coolant change, coolant reservoir change. During the time I would start the bike and idle it a couple times a week without an issue and I did add Seafoam.

Now I just took the bike out to double check everything for a ride tomorrow and it died while pulling into a parking space. It started right up and idled for a while, then died again, and repeat.

Any ideas on the problem?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you revving, or just sitting there?

You mentioned that you resoldered the kill switch. Make sure that connection is very good and isn't inadvertently cutting the ignition.

I would check all of the possible ways to kill the ignition just to be sure that isn't the issue. Side stand, run switch and clutch safety switch are all possible ignition cutting culprits.

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you revving, or just sitting there?

You mentioned that you resoldered the kill switch. Make sure that connection is very good and isn't inadvertently cutting the ignition.

I would check all of the possible ways to kill the ignition just to be sure that isn't the issue. Side stand, run switch and clutch safety switch are all possible ignition cutting culprits.

No rev, just sitting.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats you idle set at?

Did you have a fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank when the bike sat? I know you mentioned Seafoam but was it in there and into the entire fuel system before you parked it?

Ethonol fuel will go stale and start varnishing up in as short as a month.

From what you state, I would either add a heavy dose of Seafoam or a heavy dose of Chevron Tectron.

Better yet than both is Yamaha's Ringfree. Much stronger than both (not a stabilizer but a fuel and top end cleaner, (1oz per 10 gallons) vs Seafoam (at 1oz per 1 gallon)

Some fresh fuel and a good run with a good additive won't hurt.

Yamaha Ring Free Fuel Additive

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
Whats you idle set at?

Did you have a fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank when the bike sat? I know you mentioned Seafoam but was it in there and into the entire fuel system before you parked it?

Ethonol fuel will go stale and start varnishing up in as short as a month.

From what you state, I would either add a heavy dose of Seafoam or a heavy dose of Chevron Tectron.

Better yet than both is Yamaha's Ringfree. Much stronger than both (not a stabilizer but a fuel and top end cleaner, (1oz per 10 gallons) vs Seafoam (at 1oz per 1 gallon)

Some fresh fuel and a good run with a good additive won't hurt.

Yamaha Ring Free Fuel Additive

It's at about 1300.

I'll try fresh fuel and Ringfree.

Also too, when I restart it I have to flip the Kill Switch off and on for it to turn over. I would think if it's a bad/loose connection with the Kill Switch it would shut off during riding due to bumps and vibrations oppose to a calm idle.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's at about 1300.

I'll try fresh fuel and Ringfree.

Also too, when I restart it I have to flip the Kill Switch off and on for it to turn over. I would think if it's a bad/loose connection with the Kill Switch it would shut off during riding due to bumps and vibrations oppose to a calm idle.

Added to previuos fixes, Jump the kill switch to see if it eliminates the issue. :)