Bike for a BIG friend

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to start the discussion of getting my friend into riding, one problem. He's 6'8'' and an average build for that height.

Normally people recommend 250-500cc bikes for beginners, and I definitely don't think it'd be a good idea for him to get anything bigger than that (not too confident in him). So this is painting the picture of the famous scene from Tommy Boy, where Chris Farley is singing 'Fat Guy in a Little Coat', except it's 'Tall guy on a tiny bike'.

pic-dump-241-18.jpg

This guy is really fat, but you get the idea

Anything with a small enough motor to be beginner worthy is going to buckle under his weight, and that's if he can even fit on the thing.

So my question is, do you guys know of any beginner friendly bikes for really big guys, or should I just give up and let him follow around in his convertible?

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'4" (close to 6'5") and weight 245 (I was close to 260 when I started riding 6 months ago). I played college basketball so I'm not a complete fat ass but I am about 40 pounds overweight.

So, to tell you the truth I would start on an Fz1 or an FJR. I started on an Fz6 and the ergonomics were too small for me. I would get numbness in my hands on a regular basis. I got the Fz1 and love the fit, the only change that I need to make is get the gel comfort seat or something different for my butt. The riding position including hand and foot controls is great. I would get him to take the BRC and ARC as soon as possible though so he has a chance to control the bike. If you are very calm and patient the Fz1 is pretty tame under 5k rpm, but above there it starts to get interesting. I got a little to out of control on my first ride and laid it down but that was all my fault. Since then I've put on 4,000 miles in about 2.5 months and love the bike.

Other bikes I would consider. The Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Tiger, Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki SVF1300. They all are larger engine displacements but with that comes bigger ergonomics. As long as he doesn't go "full retard" as I like to say when losing conscious thought between my right wrist and brain.

Here's how I look on my Fz6

View attachment 47277

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
what about an adventure or supermoto style bike

as an average height guy I found my friend's superduke to be far too tall, though I would perhaps recommend something with less power

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't matter if your friend weighs 400 pounds a liter bike is still too much for a beginner IMO. Sounds like a dual sport or adventure touring bike would fit him well. They have a tall seat height and plenty of power. V strom 650, nc700, versys are just a few that come to mind.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so I'm 6'3 230 lbs - a bit shorter than your friend, but here is what I did - I started on Kawasaki KLR - it's a great "little" bike. a single-cylinder 650 is not your sports I4 600cc - it is certainly much more forgiving than most of the bikes. It's a proven design, almost bulletproof, very upright and comfortable, probably the most number of aftermarket accessories of any bike. Sure, your friend won't be doing wheelies (though it is possible), or race, but, if, as you said, it's for him to get into riding - KLR will do everything he needs.

Oh, and don't be surprised if, after he upgrades to a different bike, your friend keeps the KLR. people tend to get attached to them.

Versys may be another alternative, in case your friend is turned off by The Tractor's "we upgrade looks once every 20 years" appearance.

Edit: Also, V-strom 650 is another respectable bike that will be much more forgiving than 1000+ cc bike

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone,

I feel like the FZ1 may even be a bit small, and most likely too powerful for him, but we'll check them out.

I was leaning towards recommending a dualsport, so in line with what greg and outasight20 suggested. I remember seeing the versys in the shop last time I was there and liked the look, I just didn't remember them being all that big, though the more I think about it, the less my feet were touching the ground on them.

Edit: Missed you there Smersh - definitely just to get him in to riding. I want him to find something he'll be comfortable on, get a feel for what it's all about, learn the basics and enjoy himself. KLR is definitely a great option for that.
and if he hates it, I've been thinking of adding a dualsport to my collection of toys.:thumbup:

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
get a 'busa!!! thatll tote him around nicely! :thumbup:

lol sorry but i had to....
anyway if he is into the sportier appearing bikes then the sv 650 isnt a bad option..it doesnt have a whole bunch of power but it has decent grunt..its easily destroyed by the fz in every aspect...(I outrun my friends 2005 sv in any turn and any straight for any distance at any roll speed)

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is afraid of the liter bikes. Just because someone gets on a bike doesn't mean that they will automatically go WOT. I did only because I have little self restraint at times. A sane reasonable adult with at least the BRC should be able to get on any bike and do fine.

And to be honest if I didn't get the thrill from the fz6 as my first bike I wouldn't have kept up with the sport. I hear people talk about a KLR and its 49hp only to realize that is half of the fz6 and almost a third of the fz1. I would be bored to death unless I took the KLR off road in some crazy stuff

Last edited:

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
KTM 990 Adventure gets my vote, it's an excellent v-twin and she won't easily go bezerk like an in-line four.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
so I'm 6'3 230 lbs - a bit shorter than your friend, but here is what I did - I started on Kawasaki KLR - it's a great "little" bike. a single-cylinder 650 is not your sports I4 600cc - it is certainly much more forgiving than most of the bikes. It's a proven design, almost bulletproof, very upright and comfortable, probably the most number of aftermarket accessories of any bike. Sure, your friend won't be doing wheelies (though it is possible), or race, but, if, as you said, it's for him to get into riding - KLR will do everything he needs.

Oh, and don't be surprised if, after he upgrades to a different bike, your friend keeps the KLR. people tend to get attached to them.

Versys may be another alternative, in case your friend is turned off by The Tractor's "we upgrade looks once every 20 years" appearance.

Edit: Also, V-strom 650 is another respectable bike that will be much more forgiving than 1000+ cc bike

I was also going to recommend a KLR or something similar (dual sport) for the tall seat height. but V-Strom is a bit much. it is a very forgiving bike in some respects but it's quite top-heavy.

oh and people get attached to KLR's because they zip-tied themselves to the bike by accident:BLAA:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I was also going to recommend a KLR or something similar (dual sport) for the tall seat height. but V-Strom is a bit much. it is a very forgiving bike in some respects but it's quite top-heavy.

oh and people get attached to KLR's because they zip-tied themselves to the bike by accident:BLAA:

I heard the zip-tie is part of the parts list for the KLR and the microfiche shows places where you can use the zip tie to replace real parts

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why everyone is afraid of the liter bikes. Just because someone gets on a bike doesn't mean that they will automatically go WOT. I did only because I have little self restraint at times. A sane reasonable adult with at least the BRC should be able to get on any bike and do fine.

And to be honest if I didn't get the thrill from the fz6 as my first bike I wouldn't have kept up with the sport. I hear people talk about a KLR and its 49hp only to realize that is half of the fz6 and almost a third of the fz1. I would be bored to death unless I took the KLR off road in some crazy stuff

People being afraid of liter bikes makes no sense whatsoever. Probable and old wives tail propagated by motorcycle dealers to get people to blow money switching bikes over and over.

I have seen plenty of people riding 1000cc bikes like old grandmas in a town car. No adult is automatically compelled to pin the throttle there a plenty of people who just like sitting on a powerful motorcycle and never use 1/3 of the bikes power. Just like some people like 500 hp+ cars that just like to cruise around in badass car even though they never go fast.

What gets riders in trouble is not being able to corner well. You need a bike that you are comfortable sitting on. If you are not comfortable you are not going to be confident and without confidence you are going to fail in riding. That is why the motto goes, look, lean, and believe. Believing is crucial in riding.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
People being afraid of liter bikes makes no sense whatsoever. Probable and old wives tail propagated by motorcycle dealers to get people to blow money switching bikes over and over.

I have seen plenty of people riding 1000cc bikes like old grandmas in a town car. No adult is automatically compelled to pin the throttle there a plenty of people who just like sitting on a powerful motorcycle and never use 1/3 of the bikes power. Just like some people like 500 hp+ cars that just like to cruise around in badass car even though they never go fast.

What gets riders in trouble is not being able to corner well. You need a bike that you are comfortable sitting on. If you are not comfortable you are not going to be confident and without confidence you are going to fail in riding. That is why the motto goes, look, lean, and believe. Believing is crucial in riding.

i dont know anybody that owns a bike that doesnt occasionally "get the itch." the OP said that this would be a first bike so we are all going to assume ZERO RIDING EXPERIENCE. i have plenty of mature "adult" friends, none of which would i recommend the even FZ6 for as their first bike. im also not gonna say that a 250 is the way to go necessarily. i wish somebody currently made a 350-500cc 4cyl. sport (not super-sport) bike for around $5-6K. however nobody does.

also i was on the highway last fall in my car following a two guys on 650 DS bikes, a KLR650 and a DR650 and they were haulin-@55. i was in "travel mode" and driving above the posted limit and they passed me easily and were gone. KLRs are also very light and nimble and in tight corners you'd have fun TRYING to catch an experienced rider on one with an R6. its no supermoto but its no joke either.

For the record (again...) the FZ is my first street bike but ive been riding since i was very little in the dirt, and dont consider it to be my first bike.

also just for comparison's sake:

i recently built and sold a shifter kart with ~40hp here's the specs:

210lbs
0-60 - 2.5 sec
0-100mph-0 - 7 seconds

so since the KLR weighs about 100lbs less than the FZ that 49hp is more like 65-70hp. something to think about.

Last edited:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I heard the zip-tie is part of the parts list for the KLR and the microfiche shows places where you can use the zip tie to replace real parts

KLR is 30% made of zip-ties. the remaining 70% are broken into: 20% duct tape, 10% nails, 39% owner's love and affection, and 1% is the infamous doohickey.

I'm waiting for the day when i move back to CT so i have space to find and keep an '08-styled KLR.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I supposed it's similar to an oil thread - opinions vary, but here is my thinking: I agree that comfort is important, but I think that confidence alone is not enough - you need skill matching your confidence. And humans are not exactly known for their ability to correctly identify risks and correct estimation their skills (average driver thinks that he's better than average)

A beginner is bound to make mistakes - downshifting unnecessarily, releasing clutch too rapidly, stalling the bike. MSF course cannot possibly make people go through those mistakes to learn how to recover - those skills are acquired over a prolonged period of time and it's important to have a machine that rider can handle. Modern sports-bikes are designed to provide A LOT of power and great handling to their riders - they are high-performance machines not very different from those used on a track. But all that handling and power also requires skill.

Learning to ride on a liter bike is like learning to drive in a Ferrari. Is it possible? Of course. Does this car make it more likely that the new driver will make a mistake? No. But is it more likely that the racing ponies will not forgive that mistake - absolutely. Why not take little non-turbo Subaru that handles well, won't win any competitions but will be more forgiving if you accidentally floor it (or not accidentally - maybe you are just trying to make it up that hill.... trying... trying... ok, we'll wait for a better wind)

Also, in my opinion, high-powered engine leads to over-confidence as the rider is learning to ride. I think when learning to drive, the most dangerous are not the first 30,000 miles when the driver is cautious, but the next 40,000 when they think they have experience which leads to over-confidence. Riding miles are different, the concept is the same

Additionally, learning on a less powerful bike also teaches the handling and working the clutch rather than simply relying on "power reserve" - that's why you see those "grandmas" on liter bikes left behind in curves by a guy on a "small" 600 cc.

There are plenty of riders out there riding liter bikes and not using full power available, but it takes skill to recognize the situation and unleash only the correct amount of power and I doubt that those guy learned on those liter bikes.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear people talk about a KLR and its 49hp only to realize that is half of the fz6 and almost a third of the fz1. I would be bored to death unless I took the KLR off road in some crazy stuff

Numbers alone usually dont predict how much fun a bike can provide - take KLR to twisties and watch what happens.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
It's also not the HP that makes a bike fun in my opinion (especially on the street), it's the torque, accelleration, and handling.