Bi-Xenon Projectors and Night Riding

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Those that have done the bi-xenon projector conversion- what's your experience with actual night riding, specifically leaning. I've been doing some research on this (check out hidplanet sometime if you want to read a ton about projector conversions) and some people have expressed concern that when leaning a bike, you will have very little light into the corner your going into, which makes sense. Just curious for the reactions of those that have done it. Pictures or even night riding videos would be great. I've got crazy ideas going through my head on how to possible make a self-leveling bracket for the projector.........

Thanks

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Those that have done the bi-xenon projector conversion- what's your experience with actual night riding, specifically leaning. I've been doing some research on this (check out hidplanet sometime if you want to read a ton about projector conversions) and some people have expressed concern that when leaning a bike, you will have very little light into the corner your going into, which makes sense. Just curious for the reactions of those that have done it. Pictures or even night riding videos would be great. I've got crazy ideas going through my head on how to possible make a self-leveling bracket for the projector.........

Thanks

yes with low beams on, when leaned over the cutoff looks something like this / but all you have to do is hit your high beams and visibility is beyond 100%. Besides, how often are you going to be attacking backroads in the dark. And if you are, won't you be using high beams?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes with low beams on, when leaned over the cutoff looks something like this / but all you have to do is hit your high beams and visibility is beyond 100%. Besides, how often are you going to be attacking backroads in the dark. And if you are, won't you be using high beams?

perfect answer! if you can't see without headlights to assist, then you will need to slow down to a safe speed anyway, especially with oncoming traffic, othewrwise, high beams are your friends

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good. I may still pursue the autoleveling projector just for fun and to be able to say I did it. I don't think Id be able to make it fit in the headlights, probably a separate individual light mounted in the middle under the fairing. Could also serve as a sudo fog light if the weather got bad being mounted down lower. I figure the factory lighting draws 55+60 = 115W with the high beams on, so I can run 3x35W HIDs no problem.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I started another post trying to figure out how light my path while riding at night, but I was called a maniac!

What ever... there are too many old folks in here....

I also have bi xenonn projectors,
and yes high beams are better whe turning, but not enough.....

I tried to put 2 fog light just under the stock lights....but I just didn't like the looks...

pointing up and out seems to be ok but..... check the pics...

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
I started another post trying to figure out how light my path while riding at night, but I was called a maniac!

I tried to put 2 fog light just under the stock lights....but I just didn't like the looks...

that's something i am considering to do instead of changing the stock ones to projector lights! how did you mount the projectors? have any pictures of how you mount the projectors?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

And just how old are you Guss? While there are plenty of older riders on this forum, many of us are still in our 20s. However, we ride responsibly and try to be law abiding citizens. If you interpret that as being "old", then that's your opinion and are entitled to it. But don't be surprised if you offend people by complaining about the more mature mentality on this forum in comparison to other forums you may visit elsewhere.

To the OP: The issue you are concerned with is actually the exact reason you NEED projectors with HID headlights. As mentioned, that cutoff is what keeps you from blinding other drivers while on public roads. The highbeams remove this cutoff giving you better visibility above that line, which can help you in the turns at night if you are on a dark, deserted road.

I think a self-leveling system would be pretty trick. Let me know how it goes.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
And just how old are you Guss? While there are plenty of older riders on this forum, many of us are still in our 20s. However, we ride responsibly and try to be law abiding citizens. If you interpret that as being "old", then that's your opinion and are entitled to it. But don't be surprised if you offend people by complaining about the more mature mentality on this forum in comparison to other forums you may visit elsewhere.

To the OP: The issue you are concerned with is actually the exact reason you NEED projectors with HID headlights. As mentioned, that cutoff is what keeps you from blinding other drivers while on public roads. The highbeams remove this cutoff giving you better visibility above that line, which can help you in the turns at night if you are on a dark, deserted road.

I think a self-leveling system would be pretty trick. Let me know how it goes.

I have to agree. I am in my 20's still and if you are riding so hard in the dark that your HID headlights even on high beam aren't sufficient, something needs to change.

I don't ride like a douchebag, especially in the dark. If that makes me old, bring it on.

I agree, rsw81, self leveling would be really cool!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm, after seeing that, there really isn't a lot of space between the bottom of the fairing and the fender. Certainly not enough for me to do what I was thinking. I think gusss's idea (man that's a lot of s's in a row....) of a light that just could come temporarily when cornering might be the way to go if I can find something small enough. I guess another option would be mounting something off the forks or fender if it didn't look too stupid. Also need to pick up an accelerometer eventually and see how it responds to cornering on the bike and see if it's even feasible. I know they respond to tilt just fine, but IDK what the cornering forces on the bike are going to do to it.....

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

How about mounting them from the base of your rear view mirrors? The 'bullet' lights you have are small enough that might not look too bad. If they were flat black, they would almost blend in with the rubber boots....

If you wanted to get really involved, the pod light locations seem to be big enough to put that size projectors behind.... then you could aim them wherever you wanted. wouldn't matter how cross eyed they might look, behind a cover. No one would be able to tell.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have to agree. I am in my 20's still and if you are riding so hard in the dark that your HID headlights even on high beam aren't sufficient, something needs to change.

I don't ride like a douchebag, especially in the dark. If that makes me old, bring it on.

I agree, rsw81, self leveling would be really cool!

With the FZ, the best thing you could do to make the headlights stable is to upgrade the fork springs. If the chassis doesn't 'dive', the headlights stay consistently aimed.

It's no good to aim the lights with the rider's weight off the bike..... that's not the way they are aimed when you need them, especially with the OEM springs. The chassis will be pointed 'downhill' compared to the 'no weight' condition.

Once the sag is set correctly, the headlights can be aimed accurately to allow as much light where you need it as possible.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
with those big frojector fog lights...the clear space to the fender is no problem...

I've seen other SLIM fog lights that could probably look better..

The big issue here is that if we have done the projector retrofit (which is my favorit mod) the light output is amazing.....so trying to aim some light to that dark spot, if halogen, it wouldn't do a difference, it would have to be HID.
And in the forks..... that kind of looks weird ...

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
How about mounting them from the base of your rear view mirrors? The 'bullet' lights you have are small enough that might not look too bad. If they were flat black, they would almost blend in with the rubber boots....

If you wanted to get really involved, the pod light locations seem to be big enough to put that size projectors behind.... then you could aim them wherever you wanted. wouldn't matter how cross eyed they might look, behind a cover. No one would be able to tell.

Now this is the best idea so far
Kind of hard to do, and involves some serious cutting...
And as he says, no one would be able to tell, instead it would look kind of kool!
I have some OEM (bmw projectors with ballasts and bubls), I'll try to get this projector fog lights borrowed and try to put the xenon bubls, tie the foglights close to my mirros, go out for some SLOW night curving at total dark, and probably get a video!!!!
Give me some time though!!
Again.... GREAT IDEA!

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I took a night ride last night and was thinking about this thread as I was riding. I honestly don't think there is any loss of sight distance over the oem headlights if properly aimed. When ripping around a corner with factory halogens, the visibility is crap. With the HID low beams, you see the same thing only the light is brighter.

High beams in the corners FTW

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I took a night ride last night and was thinking about this thread as I was riding. I honestly don't think there is any loss of sight distance over the oem headlights if properly aimed. When ripping around a corner with factory halogens, the visibility is crap. With the HID low beams, you see the same thing only the light is brighter.

High beams in the corners FTW

you are 100% right...
that's what we are tryingh to improve!!!

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
self leveling would be the only answer, but as Top Gear explained when reviewing the Nissan GTR, the headlights can't keep up with how fast that car can change direction. Do you think they can keep up with a bike?