Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed

Donnie_D

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm brand spankin new to the forum, I've been reading here a lot though. So anyhow, I have the 09 fz6 and wanted to tackle this mod.
Now I saw on e-bay this:
H4 Bi Xenon HeadLight 05-10 YAMAHA FZ6 FZ6R FJR1300/A
Link:
H4 Bi Xenon HeadLight 05-10 YAMAHA FZ6 FZ6R FJR1300/A: eBay Motors (item 180549998476 end time Nov-18-10 00:12:09 PST)

Would this work, seems simpler as a job but I'm thinking since it looks like a projector is not included, the lite might go all over, unless it'll work perfectly with the stock reflector?!... any ideas?

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Hey everyone, I'm brand spankin new to the forum, I've been reading here a lot though. So anyhow, I have the 09 fz6 and wanted to tackle this mod.
Now I saw on e-bay this:
H4 Bi Xenon HeadLight 05-10 YAMAHA FZ6 FZ6R FJR1300/A
Link:
H4 Bi Xenon HeadLight 05-10 YAMAHA FZ6 FZ6R FJR1300/A: eBay Motors (item 180549998476 end time Nov-18-10 00:12:09 PST)

Would this work, seems simpler as a job but I'm thinking since it looks like a projector is not included, the lite might go all over, unless it'll work perfectly with the stock reflector?!... any ideas?

Donnie, here's a summary. Yes, you can run a kit like that to install a HID bulb into your stock projector housing, but this light output will scatter everywhere, annoying drivers who have to see your headlight. (On my daily early morning commute in the dark, I encounter at least one car who has installed HID bulbs into their stock housings and it's really, really annoying.) It's easier to install a kit like that too since you don't have to open your headlight housing, but again, the output will be scattered and annoying.

Buying a kit like I mentioned in the previous message is more expensive (Not too much more though, since you need two of the cheaper kits) and more difficult to install, but the light output is stellar due to the projector lenses and the low beam features a sharp line cutoff that avoids scattering light into opposing driver's eyes.

Looks like the kit you linked to gets the low/high beam by shifting the bulb in and out, which I doubt will do much with regards to high/low beam in the FZ6 housing. The projectors that I and others have used have a mechanical shutter that physically blocks light from the top of the projector.

I obviously think that doing the projector install is the right way to do the job.

Donnie_D

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it's gonna be pretty crappy if I go the cheaper/easier way. Than you for your feedback :thumbup: it definitely helped me make up my mind.
Although this is going to be a next-season project, maybe one weekend during the winter when I'm doings absolutely nothing and the weather cooperates.

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
Well. My lights just came in.

When I was ready to pull the trigger on this mod, I found Kassabian9898 is no longer selling the lights (there are only a few items in his ebay store).

I ended up purchasing this item: H1/H7/9005/9006/H4 High/Low Bi-xenon Projector HID kit - eBay (item 220708696973 end time Feb-06-11 19:27:18 PST) from Hot-bid88. He doesn't have much feedback, but I figured I'd take a chance. The price was right.

He had no problems sending me one adapter ring for the H7 and and one for the H4.

The item came FAST. I ordered on the 4th and it came on the 10th. Not bad at all.

The kit looks to be good quality and judging from the pictures posted, I think it is the same kit that many others purchased.

I think I'm going to pull the headlights out this weekend and get to work. I'll keep you updated on my progress!

birdman2389

Reaction score
Visit site
Distephano, wondering if you have tried the install with the kit that you bought...

Also did you make the seller an offer or purcchase for 125?

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
Distephano, wondering if you have tried the install with the kit that you bought...

Also did you make the seller an offer or purcchase for 125?

Birdman,

I purchased at his asking price. Compared to other prices I've seen on ebay for similar kits, I thought it seemed to be a fair price.

As for the install... I have the fairing removed and have taken apart the headlight housing. I'm actually painting the reflectors in the shop today during work, so I should be able to get to work on putting things back together this weekend!

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Disterphano, I have a question for you once you put the projector into the housing and put the lens back on.

I am planning on purchasing the Generation 5 which is brighter but is also 5 milimeters longer than the Generation 1 which you got. From what you can tell, is there an extra 5+ milimeters inbetween the projector and the lens? Thanks.

Jeremy

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
Disterphano, I have a question for you once you put the projector into the housing and put the lens back on.

I am planning on purchasing the Generation 5 which is brighter but is also 5 milimeters longer than the Generation 1 which you got. From what you can tell, is there an extra 5+ milimeters inbetween the projector and the lens? Thanks.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I installed the projectors and checked the fit with the lenses on this morning. I checked the clearance on the right side, because that projector sticks out slightly farther due to adapter ring that gets installed *inside* the head light housing. I would say you have about a 1/4" of clearance at the closest point, so 5mm should be no big deal. This is assuming, of course, that the diameter of the projectors you are buying are the same diameter as the ones I bought.

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to all of you who have done this mod!

I've got everything installed in the fairing and I'm down to just the last few connections to the bike, but I've run into a snag.

The kit I've purchased does not have any direct connections to my battery! Everything is supposed to be run through the stock headlight harnesses, which presents a problem with the stock low/high beam set-up.

From what I've seen on here, most people have done a "Dual headlight mod" and then just split the right headlight harness and run both lights off of that. I understand what is going on there, however, I think in those set-ups, the power is coming right from the battery, not through the harness

My ballasts are 35W each and the stock lights are 55w. If I do the dual headlight mod, split the right harness into 2 and run both lights from that, I'm pulling 70w through a harness that was built for 55w.

Is there a good way to convert BOTH sides to low/high beams, which would just let me run each ballast from each (modified) stock hardness?

I hope someone has some help for me!

Thanks!

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I answered my own question after I thought about it some more.

The power for the left side will be coming over the existing left side harness. The power for the right side will be coming over the "new" low beam wire on the right side harness. The high beam signal into the control will come over the existing right side harness and I will just need to split this wire to get a high beam signal to the left side control.

This shouldn't be too bad at all!

Now I just need to track down a weather resistant rocker :rockon: switch and indicator light to mount in the fairing for my angel eyes!

Hello to all of you who have done this mod!

I've got everything installed in the fairing and I'm down to just the last few connections to the bike, but I've run into a snag.

The kit I've purchased does not have any direct connections to my battery! Everything is supposed to be run through the stock headlight harnesses, which presents a problem with the stock low/high beam set-up.

From what I've seen on here, most people have done a "Dual headlight mod" and then just split the right headlight harness and run both lights off of that. I understand what is going on there, however, I think in those set-ups, the power is coming right from the battery, not through the harness

My ballasts are 35W each and the stock lights are 55w. If I do the dual headlight mod, split the right harness into 2 and run both lights from that, I'm pulling 70w through a harness that was built for 55w.

Is there a good way to convert BOTH sides to low/high beams, which would just let me run each ballast from each (modified) stock hardness?

I hope someone has some help for me!

Thanks!

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to give anyone thinking about buying these projectors from Hot-Bid88 a quick heads up. I spent a good chunk of Sunday getting the ballasts and controls mounting in the fairing and wanted to test the angel eyes, projector lights and low/high shutters.

Well, the angel eyes and shutters work fine but I ran into a snag with the lights. The way this kit is set up, it pulls all the required power through the stock harness. No direct connections are made to the battery, like many of the other kits people have used. The way it works is that a "control" plugs into the stock headlight connector. A water proof connector with +/- 12 volts comes out of the control, which connects to a mating plug on the ballast, along with a lead that connectors to the projector for the high/low shutter.

It appears that both the water proof connectors coming out of the control have bad internal connections. When I fire everything up, the projector bulbs do not light. If I wiggle the wires around at the base of the plug, the lights will flash or stay on if I keep the wires bent in a specific way.

I've contacted the seller and so far they have only responded by sending me the installation instructions (which don't match the kit they sold me, due to the above mentioned lack of direct battery connections.) They don't seem to grasp what I'm talking about at this time. So until I can say this was resolved quickly and easily, I cannot recommend you purchase these kits from this seller, which is a shame, because I was very happy with the overall quality of the kit, besides this.

On the bright side, these water proof connectors are a standard headlight connector (9001 or 9004 or something, I can't remember). I found a pair of them at the auto parts store for about $12.00. So at very worst, I can cut the faulty plugs off and spice on new ones and have the problem fixed, however, if I do this, I would like to reimbursed for my time and money spent on parts, so I may end up contacting Ebay.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow!! This is a great thread!! I was about to order the plug and play HIDs (you know, the almost illegal ones) but thought I would do a search on here first. Thanks everyone! I will get projector HIDs instead. One question tho...has anyone installed projector HIDs with the LED Angel Eyes? Any feedback would be great.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Wow!! This is a great thread!! I was about to order the plug and play HIDs (you know, the almost illegal ones) but thought I would do a search on here first. Thanks everyone! I will get projector HIDs instead. One question tho...has anyone installed projector HIDs with the LED Angel Eyes? Any feedback would be great.

Interesting question Def.

I do not know of anyone who has installed HID projectors with LED Angel Eyes. Probably because all of the HID projecter kits that I've ever seen with halos are CCFL, not LED.

Maybe somebody who went with bare Morimoto projectors added LED halos?

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The way this kit is set up, it pulls all the required power through the stock harness. No direct connections are made to the battery, like many of the other kits people have used. The way it works is that a "control" plugs into the stock headlight connector. A water proof connector with +/- 12 volts comes out of the control, which connects to a mating plug on the ballast, along with a lead that connectors to the projector for the high/low shutter.

It appears that both the water proof connectors coming out of the control have bad internal connections. When I fire everything up, the projector bulbs do not light. If I wiggle the wires around at the base of the plug, the lights will flash or stay on if I keep the wires bent in a specific way.

You may try reversing the polarity. I have "plug and play" kits on a car of mine and once I switched the plug around it worked with no problems. They are cheap connectors and seem like it's on the wrong way but that's the only way it works. It may be worth a shot. It worked on the 2 sets of HID's I have bought from ebay. Both sets I had to do that on.

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've run into ANOTHER snag with this kit.

My plan to do the "dual headlight mod" works and now I have low beams on both sides. The problem is, the "new" low beam I have run to the right headlight is only live when the headlight switch is set to low. So, when I flip the switch to high, the right bulb turns off.... but then it turns back on! The shutter also flips to high as it is supposed to.

It appears that the controls have logic in them to light the bulb when either of the 12+ contacts have voltage on them. The problem is, now the right light "blinks" when I flip the lights to high. When I flip back to low, the shutter moves back to the low position, but the light doesn't "blink". It does however, if I flip the switch to high again.

Anyone have any input on how to get rid of the "blink", short of making up my own wiring harness and hooking the low, always on 12+ straight to the headlight relay that goes live when you start the bike?

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
You may try reversing the polarity. I have "plug and play" kits on a car of mine and once I switched the plug around it worked with no problems. They are cheap connectors and seem like it's on the wrong way but that's the only way it works. It may be worth a shot. It worked on the 2 sets of HID's I have bought from ebay. Both sets I had to do that on.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that tonight.

After tons of brain storming, I think the most simple way for me to solve this whole problem is going to be snipping off the stock harness and wiring my own by bridging the stock wires. The current rating should be fine according to my research.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading through about half of the 48 pages on the thread I think I'm going to go for it. I saw this kit on ebay. LINK

I plan on painting the reflector black as well, but what do you guys think of the "devil's eye" look? I was thinking of sticking with white halo's though.
Headlight_idea.jpg

Here is a bad photoshop attempt with the devils eye and Bonemans bike.
Devils_eye2.jpg

Also I had already ordered the dual headlight harness from BD43, is there anything it would be used for in this set-up as well? I would like to be running Low/Hi on both sides.

-TIM-

Last edited:

Bri

Reaction score
Visit site
Tim,

Are you sure that this G5 projector will fit? I almost ordered a set of these but wasn't sure if they would fit since they are a bit longer than the G1's. Also, will the supplier sell you one H4 and one H7?

Let me know what you find out!

Thanks,
Brian

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: I finally finished the bi-xenon HID projector installation

The vender i was looking at is Kassabian9898 a few people on page 46 mentioned having good luck with them and that they would ship both adapters for the H4/H7. It sounded like the projector was the same it was just a different adapter ring to secure it from what I understood.

As for the G5 fitting I'm not really sure, I read a page or two back that they are 5mm longer. I guess I should take a closer at the differences between the two.

I was just trying to get a feeling if anyone like the "devils eye" look. They just happened to be G5.