Best roads in the upstate

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
This question is for guys riding in the upstate SC area: Mountain roads excluded, what are the best roads for riding here? So far, I've been riding mostly on busy roads in the Simpsonville and Greenville areas, but haven't found that "great road" that I want to keep riding on. Where do ya'll like to ride? Are there any good rural roads out in my area, by Fairview road or Harrison Bridge road in the Simpsonville area?

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
whats up?! we should def meet and ride im in clemson but lived in taylors for awhile... anyways some roads.... obviously you can go up to caesers head or hit up highway 11.. gorgeous rides... i dont mind riding the roads between anderson and mauldin they are ok but since i live in clemson i usually hit up the roads towards the mountains... but seriously you other guys in the upstate... we need to get a group ride together for sure.... o ya you could ride Woodruff rd on fri afternoon, i hear you can go fast ;)

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm over in Belton if we are talking the same I know quite a few good roads but a "good" road to me means curves and scenery I mostly ride the mountains a couple times a month to get my fix but there are some decent ones in the 85/385 area. I don't like to give out all my "secret spots" on the net but I'll tell you some. I ride this area pretty regularly but haven't been over to your area as much but Hwy 418 between 385 and 101 is nice not super curvy but nice and Garrett Patton Rd off of it is good too. Over my way in Williamston/Belton there are a bunch. One of the better ones is off Hwy 25 just before Princeton is McCullough School Rd. and River Rd. which run between 25 and 247 but it fairly residential with quite a few blind drives so be careful.

Now if you wanna talk the mountains just about anywhere North of Hwy 11 is awesome. Of course 178 and 276 are both good but if you go all the way up 178 into NC at Rosman you can pick up Hwy 215 through Pisgah NF up to the Blueridge and back across to 276. That's some of the best riding in the mountains....great curves and absolutly beautiful....there's a few scenic pics in my gallery of that area. Takes about 4-5 hours to make the loop from Hwy 11 stopping frequently but makes a great day ride.

I would like to get together with others in the area for a ride more frequently. I only have a coupel people I ride with on a regular basis. Currently down though wife is in the hospital getting ready to have our son. We should be back home within a couple weeks though. should be about back to normal within a month or so though....atleast as normal as can be with a newborn baby..lol. Also planning a big ride with some buddies from Florida the week following Memorial Day through the NC mountains about a 4 day ride from the Upstate to Chimney Rock area over to Deals Gap and back down through north Georgia.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
One of my favorite roads, that isn't travelled a whole lot, is the Greenville watershed up to and around Saluda. I never get tired of riding it, and I found some new backroads last year that are a lot of fun too.

178 to 215 to 276 and ride it all the way back :rockon: We usually only stop once or twice though...

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I would like to get together with others in the area for a ride more frequently. I only have a coupel people I ride with on a regular basis. Currently down though wife is in the hospital getting ready to have our son. We should be back home within a couple weeks though. should be about back to normal within a month or so though....atleast as normal as can be with a newborn baby..lol.

Congrats on the baby!!! Kids are awesome!

I also enjoy riding with others and meetin ghtem. Post up on here when ya'll are gong to ride. I'm on here every weekday at lunch checking out rides, but I really don't get to do too many weekend rides. But since I live at the bottom of Caesar's head, if your up this way I could hook up with ya'll for a little while anyways...

shamrocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the road ideas, guys. I knew you'd have some good places in mind. Tonight, I took Georgia Rd. to Garrison Rd to Augusta back to Georgia and that was a beautiful, quiet ride. I would love to ride with some other folks, but I am definitely still riding to learn so I would probably be left behind a lot, LOL.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Ryan we are really excited but nervous at the same time.

I am going to try to get a couple hour ride in sometime this week close to the house. Let someone else take a shift at the hospital so I can get a lil' break with the bike...just needing so RR after week straight inside this place. Shamrocker let me know if you have some time I can show you some roads down my way. No worries about being new we all have to learn sometime heck the best riders never stop learning.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Thanks for the road ideas, guys. I knew you'd have some good places in mind. Tonight, I took Georgia Rd. to Garrison Rd to Augusta back to Georgia and that was a beautiful, quiet ride. I would love to ride with some other folks, but I am definitely still riding to learn so I would probably be left behind a lot, LOL.

Like he said, we're always learning. I never leave anybody behind, for long that is... I always wait up at a turn or after a really fast section.

I work by the Bi-Lo trucking center & Dukes Mayo. I really don't get into Mauldin much at all, since i live in Cleveland, near the Jones Gap turn-off...

shamrocker

Reaction score
Another beautiful road I found is rt 417 towards Spartanburg. I took Curtis Rd from Simpsonville, and it eventually ended at Woodruff Rd. Then I took a right and followed 417 as far as I wanted, then turned around and came back. Traffic was very light and the roads are really nice.