Best GPS, Mount & Wiring Set Up

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I found the Garmin brand handlebar mount for this eTrex model at REI for $18 and picked one up. I used it first on my bicycle riding through Manhattan and Brooklyn last weekend, and yesterday I put it on the fizzer to find a warehouse on the south shore I had to tour for work.

dscn3501.jpg

Nothing fancy here, no articulating arm, but the position is actually really good... no issues there. The problem is, as someone else mentioned, that the engine vibrations turn the device off up above about 6k. ?!?! "Low Battery" flashes a few times as it flirts with failure, and then finally it gives in to sweet, sweet vibrationy oblivion and winks out. You can reach down and turn it back on, but if you get up over 6k again, it will happen. This phenominon is not intermittant or gremlinish, it comes trotting right out like a trained pony whenever you want to see it - just nail the throttle and wait about 5 seconds.

Anybody found a fix for this? Does plugging the device into a 12V adaptor keep it on? My batteries were almost new, by the way.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I found the Garmin brand handlebar mount for this eTrex model at REI for $18 and picked one up. I used it first on my bicycle riding through Manhattan and Brooklyn last weekend, and yesterday I put it on the fizzer to find a warehouse on the south shore I had to tour for work.

dscn3501.jpg

Nothing fancy here, no articulating arm, but the position is actually really good... no issues there. The problem is, as someone else mentioned, that the engine vibrations turn the device off up above about 6k. ?!?! "Low Battery" flashes a few times as it flirts with failure, and then finally it gives in to sweet, sweet vibrationy oblivion and winks out. You can reach down and turn it back on, but if you get up over 6k again, it will happen. This phenominon is not intermittant or gremlinish, it comes trotting right out like a trained pony whenever you want to see it - just nail the throttle and wait about 5 seconds.

Anybody found a fix for this? Does plugging the device into a 12V adaptor keep it on? My batteries were almost new, by the way.

I've got the ol' yellow eTrex (without the 'joystick'), and using the 12V adapter solved the vibration problem.

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site
I've also got an eTrex Vista with the same mount. Works great, even over 10k rpm. I set it up in my KLR- a vibration machine. My trick was to cut out a bit of foam and glue it to the inside back cover, applying additional pressure to keep the batteries in place. So far, no issues. FWIW- before I did this, I tried the 12v socket (again, on my KLR650) but the vibes still shut the gadget off. It may have been that the 12v connection came loose over time, and I dont know how the less abrisive vibes of the FZ6 would improve it. Based on 04Fizzer, the 12v should work. Let me know how it works for you, cap'n... I will be sure to travel with my 12v adapter.

DrM

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've got foam lying around, which makes that the first trick to try. I'll do it on the way home then.