Bean Clean Motorcycle Chain Cleaner and Degreaser Review

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
An inexpensive motorcycle chain cleaner made from soybeans, it's biodegradable and it cleans bugs, grime and tar.

More...

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you say its a chain cleaner, that cleans bugs too? How often do you have to clean bugs off your chain?

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
I just tried to order the 4-pack for testing. Their on-line store crashes when you get to the shipping screen. I sent them an email. I will post a review after I try it out.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my case of Bean Clean while I was away over the weekend. I went for a ride last night and then cleaned and relubed my chain. It was starting to get dark while I was doing this so I didn't take time to take pictures but I will next time I clean it. I have only had my bike for about 3 weeks but I bought it used and it has around 1200 miles on it now so the chain wasn't very dirty. But with the Bean Clean all I did was spray a few of the links and wipe the chain off with a rag and kept going along like this until I had the whole chain clean. It took very little effort to wipe the old chain lube and what dirt was there off. When I was done the chain was very clean. I also used the Bean Clean to clean the rear rim and it removed all the chain wax and dirt that had collected there with very little elbow grease. I then sprayed with a water bottle to rinse any of the cleaner off and once it was dry I lubed the chain with the Dupont Teflon Dry Wax I use. I was very happy with how well this stuff worked and how easily it cleaned both the chain and the rear rim.

BigJoeG

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a case of Bean Clean at my front door when I got home Friday night and decided that Sunday would be a good day for bike TLC. I am almost embarrassed to tell you how dirty my chain was. In 1500 miles I had only made one lame attempt at cleaning and then re-lubed with the DuPont Teflon Dry Wax.

I started by placing a piece of cardboard behind the chain and on the garage floor to minimize overspray. I then sprayed the lower section of the chain, scrubbed with an overgrown toothbrush, and wiped with the blue shop towels from the auto parts store. It took about 1/3 of a can to get the chain and rear sprocket sparkling clean. I had no idea that they could look so good. I could have used less, but I did an extra spray down as a rinse.

The instructions mention that it leaves behind an oily residue that can be rinsed with water. I washed the whole bike afterwards and noticed that when I rinsed the bike that the water beaded up on the chain and that it still felt oily. Perfect! I found that some soap was required to get all the residue off the areas that got hit with overspray, but that it took hardly any effort.

I relubed the chain and I am good to go. All in all I am very happy with the Bean Clean. There was virtually no odor and it cut through the grime quickly. I am going to try it on the bug splatters on my truck next.

Word of Caution: You need to make sure you clean up any Bean Clean that gets on the concrete floor of your garage! I had just a little bit that missed the cardbord I had laid down and it was as slick as ice. Almost took a tumble.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to clean my Bicycle chain with gasoline and it woks very good but the chain then needs lots of lube, A friend of mine that happens to be a mechanic told me to use Kerosene, works same or even better than gas and also has a high oil content so not need of much lube, that translates in less dirt build up, I got a gallon for $3.00 at any hardware store and so far I have use les than 1/4, (my Bycicle, my wife's bicycle and my fz6)
I just use a paint brush to wet the chain and parts, and then just rinse it with water let dry and apply a minimum amount of lube.

Last edited:

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
yeap can use kerosene on ure chain cleaning. even the fz6 manual advises u to use it.

but for me, i use GT85 for chain cleaning. find the kerosene smell too strong for my liking.

MemphisTaco

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered a 4-pack of this stuff. Can't wait to get it and clean up sprocket and chain on my bike. Splitting cost with a buddy. Anyone else tried this yet?:thumbup:

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
IA friend of mine that happens to be a mechanic told me to use Kerosene, works same or even better than gas and also has a high oil content so not need of much lube, that translates in less dirt build up,

I'm using kerosene too, but would consider bean clean for ease of disposal. I use a cup of kerosene and a chain brush, then let the kerosene evaporate. Smelly and takes a few days. If I could dump out the bean clean in the yard or down the sink, it would make life easier.