Bad ide sound

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Bad idle sound

With reference to buying a used Clutch basket, just buy a complete assembly where they expose ALL of the clutch discs vs buying just the basket.

The point being; sellers selling the basket alone, well it **may be because** the clutch went bad and they tossed it, so I would avoid those purchases!

I think you'll find the new noise and have that behind you as its likely that bearing.
That said, a replacement clutch basket is not going to make it quiet. Sorry. It will cut the noise in half so to speak as you will only hear the cranks defect come around and meshing its defect once per revolution on the newer CB.
Remember its 1.954:1 ratio so those two defects only pair once in a while (44 & 86 teeth).

So, you need to address the invisble defect on the crank or it is going to make noise, just not as much!

In another thread i suggested a few options to find the issues. Running thin wax paper or even carbon paper though the gears will give you some insight. You have to remove the spark plugs so turns over smoothly by hand as you do this.

Grab a replacement basket and bearing and lets find the defect in the crank.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

On another note; this crank is in many an R6 which are wrecked often. The crank is not that expensive but the time and labor to install it is.

If you have a FSM, look through it. The task is not for everyone. Also finding a crank with matching rod and main journal ODs would be great. Read the FSM. You will see.

That said, im pretty sure you can improve its condition substantially...

thisisdylan

Reaction score
Visit site

New clutch bearing will be here in a few days. What is the best way to lube it? Soak it like the clutch plates, or just coat it liberally with oil and install?

I found a used basket on ebay that I think will be sufficient. The bike was totalled after 1500 miles so the parts should be pretty good. The seller is parting out the plates and the individual basket parts separately to get the most money, so buying all the parts would be a lot, but just buying the basket won't run me too much. The pictures in the listing for the plates look good. I think I will get the basket soon.

If I require a tranny / crank replacement, I don't think I would attempt it myself. If there are still problems that I can't solve, I would get a quote for labor, then get some use parts.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I highly recomend you follow this guideline:
- Remove RS cover.
- Remove clutch cover and inspect bearing. If its not obvious that bearing failed; Remover bearing it and lay it on sturdy white paper towel towel and blow some MAF cleaner through it. Look for metal flecks in the towel.
Inspect cover. Confirm bearing did not damage cover.
- If bearing and cover are fine, now you need to look elsewhere. When CB is removed; look at that bearing (later).
- First; drain and save your fresh oil if need be.
- Remove spark plugs and using a syringe, add about 5 cc of engine oil to each cylinder.
- Spray LOTS of cleaner on both the crank and basket gears. Get them OIL free.

- With a good light and at least 4x magnification; try to find and mark the damaged area on both crank and CB.
If you cant find them, you'll need to either use Prussian Blue paste and run it through the gears or something thin like carbon paper. With Something thin and strong, cut it to a width a little wider than the gears. You're going to try to feed this into the gears while you rotate the Crank.
- The goal here is to ID where the damage is on the crank.

Making sense so far?