Back In School

B

Bo67

Well, after much thought I decided to go back to college and finish my degree.
I got an Associates Degree from the Air Force a few years ago but in my current job at the Department of Veterans Affairs I have peaked career-wise until I get my bachelors degree.
I declared my major in Social Psychology last month, had my credits transferred to the college I'm attending and will start school as a sophomore on Tuesday.
Some things that influenced me to do this at 40 years old:

1. I like my job at the VA but want to do better (both in level of responsibility and financially I will admit).

2. I have 4 kids (14, 11, 10, 6 years old). The oldest two are asking for help with homework that is beyond my knowledge. I either forgot it over the years or didn't learn it in the place.

3. There are some people where I work with their bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees that are idiots in my opinion. You can tell they are in the VA for themselves instead of for the proper reason which is helping disabled veterans. They bitch and whine all the time about how tough their job is while they take home $70K-90K a year. It makes me sick. I worked on aircraft in the Air Force for 20 years in wind, rain, snow, a couple of wars etc... so my sympathy level for them is zero. I make $32K a year with the VA and know I could do their job ten times better if given the chance; that's where the degree comes in.

Sorry, this is turning into a gripe post but people like that have always bugged me.
I wasn't a stellar student in my youth but I've maintained a 4.0 GPA through college so far. Spending my own money on it seems to make me work harder I suppose.

This semester will be a snap; I'm only taking two classes. Next semester will be tougher: 3 classes, a full time job and teaching the state motorcycle safety course on the weekends will zap most of my time but I think (and hope) I can handle it.

My posts will probably be less frequent from here on out since I'll have homework every night but I'll be sure to set time aside at least once a week for all of my buddies here on the forum.

Sadly, the money I had been saving up for a Two Brothers exhaust for the bike just got spent on tuition and books 2 weeks ago. Oh well, I'll get it in the end I guess.;)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Bo! Actually, you've already done the hardest part: getting started! :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after much thought I decided to go back to college and finish my degree.
I got an Associates Degree from the Air Force a few years ago but in my current job at the Department of Veterans Affairs I have peaked career-wise until I get my bachelors degree.
I declared my major in Social Psychology last month, had my credits transferred to the college I'm attending and will start school as a sophomore on Tuesday.
Some things that influenced me to do this at 40 years old:

1. I like my job at the VA but want to do better (both in level of responsibility and financially I will admit).

2. I have 4 kids (14, 11, 10, 6 years old). The oldest two are asking for help with homework that is beyond my knowledge. I either forgot it over the years or didn't learn it in the place.

3. There are some people where I work with their bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees that are idiots in my opinion. You can tell they are in the VA for themselves instead of for the proper reason which is helping disabled veterans. They bitch and whine all the time about how tough their job is while they take home $70K-90K a year. It makes me sick. I worked on aircraft in the Air Force for 20 years in wind, rain, snow, a couple of wars etc... so my sympathy level for them is zero. I make $32K a year with the VA and know I could do their job ten times better if given the chance; that's where the degree comes in.

Sorry, this is turning into a gripe post but people like that have always bugged me.
I wasn't a stellar student in my youth but I've maintained a 4.0 GPA through college so far. Spending my own money on it seems to make me work harder I suppose.

This semester will be a snap; I'm only taking two classes. Next semester will be tougher: 3 classes, a full time job and teaching the state motorcycle safety course on the weekends will zap most of my time but I think (and hope) I can handle it.

My posts will probably be less frequent from here on out since I'll have homework every night but I'll be sure to set time aside at least once a week for all of my buddies here on the forum.

Sadly, the money I had been saving up for a Two Brothers exhaust for the bike just got spent on tuition and books 2 weeks ago. Oh well, I'll get it in the end I guess.;)
I am about to finish my Hons degree this month. Im 37. The exhaust is neither hear nor there in the grand scheme of things. My sincere wishes and good luck to you my friend. knowlege it the form of true power and the foundation to advancment and humanity.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went back to college recently, except for this past semester. I've been meaning to finish up Bachelor's degree but work and kids was a slight detour for me. Now with much encouragement from my Director and fellow colleagues I find myself aiming for something higher. The financial incentives (rewards) are good. All those years without my degree wasn't quite wasted, I pursued certification in my field of work that not only gave me national accreditation but an increase in my hourly rate as well. Now being in management I definitely need to be able to show not only in my technical skills and experience but as well as in my college degree. So for all of us that are shooting for our degrees... Good Luck and Great Job in taking the first step of committing for a better future.:rockon:

B

Bo67

Thank you all for your kind words. I know most of all that there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom... one you're taught, one you gain from living. My grandmother immigrated from Poland to the States in the 1920's. She never finished high school but was hands-down the wisest person I've known in my life.

Nice avatar Botch! We still on for a ride this spring? We're only about 5 hours from each other so let's plan for a meet either here or there or in between (maybe around Bear Lake)?

Perryn and all- You guys are my heroes. Your honesty and sincerety in your many posts makes me envy you... you truly are all good people in my book.

Thanks again for the ego boost guys....I appreciate it!

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Good on you Bo. I'm 37 and have been stuck in the same career for 12 years. I'm currently trying to make the change to something slightly different, and hopefully better. At our age we have probably another 30 years more work ahead of us so we'd better get it right. It's tough when you have youngs 'uns too. (A teenager never stops eating! They cost a fortune! (We have a 15, 13 and 5 year old)). Hopefully you will sit back in a few years time and think it was a worthwhile investment in terms of your time and money