Audio Device Mixer

opfpqgoon

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have decided that it would be nice to have a few audio devices (radar detector, satellite radio, ipod, portable cb) connected together so that a rider needs to only wear one set of headphones. I did a quick google search and all I found was an expensive (~$150) powered model with 4 inputs and then another solutions that is essentially the opposite of a splitte (5 female 3.5 jacks and 1 male jack).

My question is has anyone else wished that there was some sort of audio mixer that allowed for individual audio control but that doesn't come with the $150 price tag?

I am thinking of designing one and want to know it anyone on here wants to be guinea pigs to test some designs.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Ask and Wal Mart shall provide lol :thumbup: It's not amplified but it always worked for me.

Belkin RockStar F8Z274ttP

I ran one on my FJR for a few years before I switched to a SENA SMH10. I had all the cables ran under the seat than a hook up at the crotch area of the seat where I'd hook my headphones.

But if you have no need to talk to anyone then the above setup will work fine though you will have one wire running to the bike from your dome.

You can get amplified audio mixers that work better as far as volume control as the Belkin Rockstar does take some fiddling to get the volume of all your doo-dads just right but is a very low cost alternative to other more costly setups.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I think this one has what you want and adds Bluetooth.

The SR10 is going to be costly and you're going to need a bluetooth headset to go with it. Like I said if you don't need to talk to anyone just want to listen there are must lower cost alternatives out there.

If you need to talk on the CB things get a bit more costly and I can show you how I did it and still used my Belkin but you're going to need a headset. If you just want to listen to the CB then you can still use the Belkin just fine.

opfpqgoon

Reaction score
Visit site
The belkin is designed to be run the opposite way, is there any problem with interference from all of the devices running on the same circuit without any diodes?

Also would volume control for each input be something desirable?

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Each device should already have it's own volume control so having another volume control coming off the Belkin device seems like it would be duplicating what you already have.

You could add an inline volume control to your output to your headphones so you can turn volume up and down on the fly if you need to.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
There are several other options available soem more expensive but better and some les expensive. The Mixit 2 comes to mind for just an amplified hub. There are also the Autocom, Starcom and Baer intercom systems that really begin to creep up there. Rugged Radios makes another set-up that is good as well.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
I tried several schemes and equipments, but I finally broke down and bought one of the "expensive" systems, in my case, Autocom. There is some truth regarding you get what you pay for. The audio is exceptional. The wind noise suppression works and enables easy conversations at 100+ mph between rider and passenger. It's nice to have priority between music, phone, FRS radio, GPS, etc, e.g., your music volume is automatically decreased when higher priority sources come on the air. But then, I'm an old guy who likes toys :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried several schemes and equipments, but I finally broke down and bought one of the "expensive" systems, in my case, Autocom. There is some truth regarding you get what you pay for. The audio is exceptional. The wind noise suppression works and enables easy conversations at 100+ mph between rider and passenger. It's nice to have priority between music, phone, FRS radio, GPS, etc, e.g., your music volume is automatically decreased when higher priority sources come on the air. But then, I'm an old guy who likes toys :rolleyes:

I like Jim's set up. You could plug the output of many devices and route them to the input of listen device but then each device is dealing with the other with constantly variable impedance. One a more devices may fail because if these mismatches.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Same system I have Jim. I love it. I run the Garmin NUvi 765 that links to the iPhone for any phone calls that I may or may not want to answer. The two way communication via the attached radio is awesome. Clear as a bell even with earplugs in. The system works in full duplex so you can hear yourself talk. A little pricy, but I can take it with me to any other bike very easily.