Ashamed, can't get stripped oil filter off

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
since this thread is all about oil filter fun - I'll throw out a story. Years ago I rebuilt the 302 in my '94 Mustang to a 331 with heads, cam, intake, blower, et cetera. After breaking in the engine, I went to do the first oil change to get all the "gunk" out. Low and behold, a freshly painted block + heat + rubber oil filter gasket = very difficult to remove. After trying various tricks, I got it removed and completed my oil change. Flash forward a few days to the new engine's maiden voyage. I drove 5 miles or so to an auto parts store for some miscellaneous part and on the way back, my oil pressure light lit up. Then I smelled oil. Burning oil. I had the car towed home, put it up in the air and discovered that the side effect of the "nearly impossible to remove" oil filter was that it had sheared off the gasket - the previous filter's gasket was still attached to the engine block. Turns out that gasket on top of gasket doesn't seal very well and leaks quite nicely under high pressure.

Moral of the story - if the filter was a pain to remove, make sure you didn't leave the gasket behind in the process. The secondary moral involves masking off that surface when you paint a block...

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I promised everyone a picture, and thank god its a picture of it off the bike. I had a buddy stop by to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and he was unable to get it off either. I finally put my red neck hat on, and jam packed one of my filter wrenches with sand paper to give it some leverage and tighten it. I will not be over tightening it this year :)

You need to frame that and enjoy the modernistic art aspect it projects....
Blah