Are our cables Teflon lined?

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 12K on my bike and I haven't really done anything with lubing the cables. I was going to buy a cable lubing tool like I used to use on my dirt bikes but I read an article that said if the cables are Teflon Lined that lubing them can actually be harmful to them.

Does anybody know if our cables are Teflon lined?

W

wrightme43

I know they have some sort of crazy lining but I dont know that its teflon. Sorta looks like nylon or something to me. Its a mystery???? LOL

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the cable lubing tool and found that with the clutch cable it was really easy and plenty of lube was making its way out by the engine (into the rag I had ready). On the throttle cables I found that I could not get a good seal because of the way the plastic connectors are so I am not sure how much lube made its way through. Next time I might try a bit of plumbers tape to try to seal up the slot prior to clamping down the tool and then remove it when I am done.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
So ddg, you haven't noticed any degradation since lubing the clutch & throttle cables? How long has it been since you lubed them?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
My clutch cable felt like pulling a wire saw through concrete so I lubed it with one of those cable lubers. It was an improvement but it's still really stiff, I think the cable is just shot.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I was cautioned not to lube these cables because of the liners - not sure if its teflon lined or not. However... The service manual does state: "Apply Yamaha chain and cable lube or engine oil SAE 10W-30 thoroughly." There is also a section on checking and lubricating cables.

My thought is, unless there is a known cable problem, it MAY be best to leave them alone and replace them at some interval. I cannot find a set interval at which you should replace your cables, but it should be obvious when the old one is at its end. If they are exposed to rain alot, then I would think it OK to lube the cable but plan on replacing them more often.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'll leave mine un-lubed for now and if they get like sovietrobot's I'll give it a shot of juice & see what happens. Having the luxury of being a fair weather rider, there shouldn't be too much guck getting into them.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
My throttle cables on my last bike rusted away to nothing so I swore to myself I'd lube all my cables once a year. I'm still gonna do it with the FZ6. I just use 90W gear oil though, I tape a bag to the top of the cable and let it drain through. It doesn't stay around for as long as proper lube does - but I can't see it causing any damage. Not used proper cable/chain lube on it yet, but I bought a cable oiler recently and might try it out next time!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I would use (and do regularly) cable lube. I believe you can buy lube that is safe on liners. I have lubed my cables at least 20 times in the last 15 months (I ride in rain, dirt, and dust) and have had no problems whatsoever. and everytime I lube them you can feel the difference. Would you not lube your chain/engine/etc and just replace it when it wears out? NO! do your maintenence like the manual says you will not hurt anything.

p.s. you don't need to lube them as much as I do but I am just anal like that.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
90w gear oil??? Man that's some nasty stuff, smells bad and sticks to everything. I think I'll look for some of the aerosol cable lube stuff and see if I can find any that says it works with lined cables.