Anyone with FZ8 experience?

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, recently I've been debating weather or not to get a new bike next year. I've been looking at a lot cruisers online, but it just seems to be too much chrome for me. Right now I'm back to drooling over the FZ8. It seems to have everything that I want, without being too powerful and heavy.

I would really like to get something that is a little smoother at slower speeds and smooth to ride on the highway. I'm also hoping that the clutch is a lot better than the FZ6. I've never gone through with the KN clutch mod, so I still get annoyed with the small friction zone sometimes.

My daily commute is 50/50 city/hwy. I'm hoping that it would be worth upgrading. If anyone here can share any experience that they have/had compared to the FZ6, I would appreciate it. Thanks. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to post the same question on our FZ8 sister site. I bet at least few people on have FZ6 experience and can give you a comparison.

I can tell you this about FZ1 (even though you're not asking :D ): the clutch is completely different. VERY long friction zone and significantly less effort to pull the lever in. The power.. yeah, it has some, but really if you're used to FZ6, FZ1 should not scare it at all.. just be mature about it :D

Just something to think about. Personally, I can't have another naked bike (as my only motorcycle) with the amount of highway riding I do.. gotta have a screen.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Ecri. I may look more into the FZ1 too, but I didnt want to give up so much fuel economy. How much do you average? I know an FZ1 would probably be easier to acquire where I live. And I do miss my screen too, especially now that the temps are dropping.

Decisions decisions... :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Ecri. I may look more into the FZ1 too, but I didnt want to give up so much fuel economy. How much do you average? I know an FZ1 would probably be easier to acquire where I live. And I do miss my screen too, especially now that the temps are dropping.

Decisions decisions... :(

I average 37 when I commute (keeping RPMs way low and generally being easy on the throttle). When I ride more aggressively (higher RPM and getting up to speed quicker), I get 34.

I know FZ8 is rated at 39mpg.. not sure what real world numbers are.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a 1 and be done with it. Life is too short.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
The power.. yeah, it has some, but really if you're used to FZ6, FZ1 should not scare it at all.. just be mature about it :D

What he could of said is don't be like Ssky0078. I got my Fz1 and crashed it the following morning, all high on gasoline and too much speed.

I would honestly say the Fz1 when ridden responsibly is a very tame bike, very composed even on sketchy road conditions (I've had mine on dirt roads and camp grounds). My mileage averages between 30-36 in AZ. The best I ever got is 40 mpg in Colorado and I believe the difference in gasoline quality makes a huge difference.

However, if you get the bike up over 7000 rpms it is an absolute thrill that is worth the extra gas money. I commute about 1250 miles a month. At 44 mpg on my fz6 that was good for about 28 gallons of gas. And on my Fz1 being calm and not riding hard I would say I average 33 mpg for about 38 gallons of gas a month. So basically for that $40 for the MONTH, I have an AWESOME time. It's kind of a no brainer for me.

Have you thought about the Fz-09? I think that bike will get pretty good mileage and mixed with the torque of the Fz1 and top end of an Fz8 with a linear power curve sounds like the best of both worlds. And it's lighter than both the other bikes.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you thought about the Fz-09? I think that bike will get pretty good mileage and mixed with the torque of the Fz1 and top end of an Fz8 with a linear power curve sounds like the best of both worlds. And it's lighter than both the other bikes.

A big +1 to that!!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ8 or FZ1 you don't go wrong. But like other says... wait until the official FZ9 review are out. There starting to pop out here and there. So far the review are quite good fro a $8000 sticker price.

I was the first one b&^% about the 9 but honestly I can't wait to see one at the stealership. I'm in the market to get one also this year...

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've sat on a couple of FZ8s but never ridden one - didn't really like the feel, not sure what it was about the bike but I wasn't too happy. I know, not a reason/science founded response - just my reaction.

Fazer'd

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an '06 FZ6 earlier this year into the summer before I crashed. I have an '11 FZ8 now and love it. I like the handling better, for whatever reason my 8 is much more responsive than my 6 was. I like that it was much more low end grunt and I don't need to rev it nearly as much to really get scootin. I like the look of the naked bike better but do miss the fairings on the highway and in the rain. The plus side of not having the fairing is it's a hell of a lot funner and more exciting. You really feel the speed more. Also, I don't go as fast on the highway which makes my girlfriend and sister happy (both ride with me). The throttle is much better on my 8 than it was on my 6. On the 8 its feels more like my 6 after I installed the G2 throttle tamer and power commander which I didn't have to do for either. It was a lot easier strapping things to the 6 though. The friction zone is still small but just not as snappy as my 6 was. Of note though, I'm fairly positive the previous owner changed the sprockets. My speedo always read quite a bit faster than my actual speed so that probably exacerbated the snappy throttle. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like more information. I can PM you my number if you want.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I will echo what I believe Erci said about "I can't have a naked bike as my only bike".

I personally don't know how people commute and tour on naked bikes. It's great around town and on backroads at up to 60 mph but doing 80mph on the highway for 150 miles between stops and you will be dying for some wind protection. I bought a touring cruiser as my second bike with a full windshield and it's so smooth and clear in the saddle that I could smoke a cigar if I wanted to while doing 80 mph.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ8 or FZ1 you don't go wrong. But like other says... wait until the official FZ9 review are out. There starting to pop out here and there. So far the review are quite good fro a $8000 sticker price.

I was the first one b&^% about the 9 but honestly I can't wait to see one at the stealership. I'm in the market to get one also this year...

The 9 has gotten mostly good reviews so far. The only downside is the soft front end suspension, which is a Yamaha brand problem for anyone over 165 pounds. The 9 is narrower because of the triple engine and some people have noted it feels a little more like a motard than a sport bike.

I've sat on a couple of FZ8s but never ridden one - didn't really like the feel, not sure what it was about the bike but I wasn't too happy. I know, not a reason/science founded response - just my reaction.

I have a 1 and rode the 8 on the demo ride. I couldn't wait to get back on my 1. The 8 tank and seat I didn't like the feel as much as the 1. The 8 suspension is even softer than the 1 and people with the 8 will get a 1 rear shock to improve their suspension if that makes any sense. I guess I should point out I'm 6'4" and 240lbs so I need as much size as possible and even make the Fz1 look like a small bike

For me, any Yamaha I buy I will have to get the suspension done for at least springs and likely the rear shock.

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all the responses. :D

About the FZ-09:
I have to admit that I had only viewed pictures of the bike when it was first revealed by Yamaha. I did not want to get caught up in any of the hype regarding this bike, so I avoided any threads, reviews, videos, information, etc etc. But after the few recommendations and seeing the price of it... :eek: I shouldn't have even considered the FZ8! lol. I've been spending some time reading about the FZ-09, and I think I might be sold! But we'll see... I'll definitey be looking out for more reviews. :D

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

but theres no screen, the tank is small, theres no centerstand.

what about a Versys, WeeStrom, VFR, or something like those.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Original poster asked about FZ8, which also has no screen. Tank IS smaller, but MPG rating is much better than FZ8 (44 vs 39), so miles per tank might be very close. If you're looking for a naked fun bike, FZ9 cannot be overlooked.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I will echo what I believe Erci said about "I can't have a naked bike as my only bike".

I personally don't know how people commute and tour on naked bikes. It's great around town and on backroads at up to 60 mph but doing 80mph on the highway for 150 miles between stops and you will be dying for some wind protection. I bought a touring cruiser as my second bike with a full windshield and it's so smooth and clear in the saddle that I could smoke a cigar if I wanted to while doing 80 mph.

I've hauled ass through the northern AZ desert at 95 mph for about an hour to an hour and half stretch of time on my naked Fz1. There is a certain height that I can tuck where at the high speeds it actually creates a wind tunnel from the gauge cluster cover. I typically stop for gas every 100-130 miles because my butt and legs get sore. In a car I never push more than 2 hours at a stretch either because I like to move around. And smoking is bad for you.

what about a Versys, WeeStrom, VFR, or something like those.

3.7 gallons at 44mpg is a range of up to 162 miles. Even if you went to the reserve which will probably kick on at 3.0 gallons or about 132 miles in the range. This is basically the same as my Fz1 with a 4.5 gallon tank because of the difference in fuel efficiency. I typically don't like to ride more than 100-130 miles at a time because my butt gets sore.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Original poster asked about FZ8, which also has no screen. Tank IS smaller, but MPG rating is much better than FZ8 (44 vs 39), so miles per tank might be very close. If you're looking for a naked fun bike, FZ9 cannot be overlooked.

the fairing exists on the "Fazer8" in europe, and can therefore be remedied if desired. but if i was commuting 50/50, i would require a screen. also if you are talking about slightly over the horizon. Honda is making patents on a trellis frame to house the 800cc V4 from the VFR. this bike is also rumored to be a nekkid bike. but its still in concept form so it probably wont be out until the end of next year at the soonest. or Honda will make a beautiful concept that everybody will want, then scrap it and built another retarded bike. like building 3, 500cc bikes that are all the same but at the same time different raising their manufacturing costs for no reason. i really wish Honda's marketing dept. was as good as their engineering dept.

true on the 100+ mile rides. but, i like to tour sometimes, i ride 350+mi. (1-way) nonstop to NC a few times each summer, as well as other trips, and 1000 miles over the weekend combined. the big deal for me though is that i dont like the idea of having to fill up the bike all the time, if i was commuting. i can fill my FZ6 up 2x a week for a typical 25mi. commute (my bike gets ~55mpg). i would have to fill up 3-4x a week (practically every other day) on the FZ-09. and it would add an extra stop for my short jaunt to the mountains...

Last edited: