Anyone using B-Xenon projector with 55W ballast?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't seem to get a straight answer from a few vendors on ebay.

All of the bi-xenon projectors seem to use 35w ballasts. But since I already have the HID reflector bulbs with 55w ballasts I would like to use those.

Incidentally, when using the HID reflector bulbs it is perfectly fine to use either 35w or 55w since it is the same bulb for either one

Anyone here have experience doing this using 55w ballast?

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't seem to get a straight answer from a few vendors on ebay.

All of the bi-xenon projectors seem to use 35w ballasts. But since I already have the HID reflector bulbs with 55w ballasts I would like to use those.

Incidentally, when using the HID reflector bulbs it is perfectly fine to use either 35w or 55w since it is the same bulb for either one

Anyone here have experience doing this using 55w ballast?

There are a few threads goign about this, so you're trying to see if the ballast itself can be used for either the 35w or 55w bulbs? Not 100% on that, there are a few guys who will know the answer and will be around today though.

Alfa95

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if what you mean by bi-xenon is actually a high and low beam bulb. The ballast is what determines the wattage in a HID application not the bulb. You can have for example a single H7 bulb and use it with either a 35W or 55W ballast. The 55W is just going to be brighter than the 35W. My experience with high/low beam HID bulbs like a H4 is that it uses and extra harness that goes connected directly to the battery. This is to give it enough power for the high beam function to work, since it actually uses I believe a magnet to switch between high and low beam.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The projector has nothing to do with it. The 55W ballasts can be used with a 35W HID bulb, the problem with doing that is it actually cuts the life of the bulb down significantly. If you want to use the ballasts, I would get new bulbs. The Retrofit Source sells 50W bulbs, that can be used with your ballasts. Ebay wouldn't be the place to go if you ask me, but I can hook you up with a discount from The Retrofit Source. Here is a link to the bulbs that I was talking about. Of course all of this is assuming that you are using a D2S:

D2S: Morimoto 5Five (50w) - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

If it is H1 you need, The Retrofit Source currently does not offer a higher wattage bulb with AMP connections than 35W. Let me know if I can help you with any new gear, like I said, I get a discount.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey FZRBlack

I don't really like the HID bulbs without a projector, because they blind everyone on the road since the relector housing is designed for a halogen bulb. Plus the light is scattered. To each his own I suppose. The projector would be an excellent upgrade. I stay away from ebay kits, they are usually junk and the seller doesn't stand behind them. I only buy from the retrofit source. I offer Retrofitting services, and discount kits from the retrofit source. While they aren't as cheap as those ebay projectors, they are quality and they will back up their products.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45691

Sent from my Transform Ultra using Tapatalk 2

nabaah

Reaction score
Visit site
I had tried to use the 55w ballast with a 35w projector kit and the bulbs would just light up and go out. I switched the bulbs still had the same problem. I got a 35w ballast and everything worked fine. I thought that it would work with 55w ballast, but didn't in my case.