Anyone Try To Paint...

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried to paint any of the following on your bike?

Tanks
Wheels
Frame
Engine Parts
Forks
Swing Arm
Handlebars
Inside Part of The Brakes
Calipers
Rearsets
Front Fender

If so what did you use to do it?
How hard was it (simple explantion)?
How is it holding up?

Main reason for asking is because the parts the do well with self painting would be cheaper then telling a paintshop to paint the whole bike...

Any help would be awesome :thumbup:

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
I've painted the majority of your list on mine and have had great success in doing so, so far everything ive painted is holding to expectations, i ordered all the factory paint from Motorcycle Paint :: Touch Up, Aerosol & Refinish Paint - ColorRite when you go to do it just scuff everything up real well with the red scotchbrite pads before painting and you should be good to go.

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've painted the majority of your list on mine and have had great success in doing so, so far everything ive painted is holding to expectations, i ordered all the factory paint from Motorcycle Paint :: Touch Up, Aerosol & Refinish Paint - ColorRite when you go to do it just scuff everything up real well with the red scotchbrite pads before painting and you should be good to go.

Did you use primer and clear coat on everything? Also I'm assuming you used the spray cans?

Also what about the stuff that heats up like all the engine parts and calipers? do they have heat resistant paint at colorwrite?

also how do you choose a color other then the factory colors for the bike?

I'm thinking about blacking out everything or possibly blacking out everything and coloring the wheels and some small parts a different color...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Some of these jobs can use automotive paint from Kragen (like exhaust and radiator covers) and I'd use the same for the forks. The engine casing can use a high temp paint like bbq paint and black.

always test a small area to check color matching. Also, painting is easier if you take the part off the bike first.

if it's colored (non-black or silver) go with the color-rite website (i haven't used it yet).

but black is generally black :)

here's my painting thread:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/7334-painted-exhaust-radiator-cover.html

Last edited:

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
So...

Tank - Automotive Paint/Color Rite
Wheels - Automotive Paint/Color Rite
Frame - High Temp Paint
Engine Parts - High Temp Paint
Forks - Automotive Paint/Color Rite
Swing Arm - Automotive Paint/Color Rite
Handlebars - Automotive Paint/Color Rite
Inside Part of The Brakes - High Temp Paint
Calipers - High Temp Paint
Rearsets - Automotive Paint/Color Rite
Front Fender - Automotive Paint/Color Rite

is that all correct??

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
For the brake and engine parts use VHT brand caliper paint,it comes in a spray can, it's resistant to chemicals,brake dust,salt and water,plus it's self priming,you can get it at autozone,great stuff:thumbup: