Anyone seen this before?

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
Different direction arrows for front or rear application.
I noticed the wheel rotation arrows on a Royal Enfield in the carpark at work.
I've never seen anything like this before, have a look at the attached image.

So, anyone else seen this?

Mac.

:aus::aus:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very common on bicycle tires. Never seen this on motorcycle tires.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
it looks like both tires are the same so it wouldn't matter which one goes in the front or the back

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
I have indeed, only really seen on older bikes as the tyre sizes of the front/rear were only slightly different back then, so ones bikes rear tyre could be the same size as anothers front :eek:.

I believe the only reason the direction is opposite is that the forces on the tyre on the front wheel are produced by braking only, and so are in the opposite direction to the main force at the rear tyre, acceleration. With this being the case the tyre is rotated to put the ply in the best orientation to deal with the main force being applied.

Well, at least I believe thats the reason... :confused:

Yamahaboyz

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
I have indeed, only really seen on older bikes as the tyre sizes of the front/rear were only slightly different back then, so ones bikes rear tyre could be the same size as anothers front :eek:.

I believe the only reason the direction is opposite is that the forces on the tyre on the front wheel are produced by braking only, and so are in the opposite direction to the main force at the rear tyre, acceleration. With this being the case the tyre is rotated to put the ply in the best orientation to deal with the main force being applied.

Yamahaboyz

+1. That is the right answer. I had a friend who had a Royal Enfield and I got the same answer from his mechanic when I asked the question.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the tires on my bike have the arrows. I always thought it had to do with the shape of the tread and the way the water channels work.

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site

Yamahaboyz

That sounds right, forces on the tyre would be an issue.

I was wondering how it would effect water displacement?
Maybe the old bikes don't go quick enough for it to be a real issue :eek::eek::BLAA:

Mac.

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the tires on my bike have the arrows. I always thought it had to do with the shape of the tread and the way the water channels work.

Does you tyre have two arrows (one each way) or just one?

All modern tyres have a rotation arrow and usually the words "rear use only" etc.
This does relate to intended use and direction of water channels.

I'd never before seen a tyre that could be used both front and rear.

Mac.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont know about older bikes, but being a country boy i know about tractors:BLAA:

on a tractor the front tires run backwards to the rear to better steer it

/.
. \
/.
.\
/.
.\
/.
.\
/.
.\rear going /\ that way

\.
./
\.
./
\.
./
\.
./
\.
./ front going /\ that way:ban:

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Alot of my cruiser friends mount a rear tire backwards on the front (arrow facing opposite way) for longer life. The tread for rear tires is almost twice as much as for front. They mount it backwards for reasons stated above; for braking force instead of acceleration force.