Anyone else feel like Yamaha is losing its touch?

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
The newer bikes I'm excited about are the CBF1000FA, Ninja Z1000SX, Versys, GSR 750 as soon a faired version is available, and the new Z750 as soon as a faired version is available. Does anyone else get the feeling the Yamaha hasn't done anything exciting with their bikes since the 2007 FZ6 redesign?

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
well that cross plane crank R1 was a bit good.

the GSR750 looks really good and would be on my shopping list, but I wanted a sub 600cc bike for tax and insurance costs.

Having owned a Z750 I can only hope the new model is a vast improvement as the one I had was dire.

Versys???? Er no thanks.

Last edited:

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
The Super Tenere is nice, but it's about $14k and 580 pounds.

The crossplane engine is cool, but is not offered outide of the R1.

Still, name a new Yamie in the FZ6's class that's exciting.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
The XJ6 is a fine looking machine................ maybe Yamaha see it it as a competitor to others in the class while the FZ8 is closer to the Z750, GSR750, Shiver etc.

Exciting is very subjective - I certainly don't see a Versys or CBF1000 in that light. To me, faired bikes are quite boring.

Quite likely the crossplane engine will find its way into an FZ1. Developing an engine for one machine is a huge financial commitment.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
super tenere seems to be an inferior bike to the BMW for very near the same price. a kitted out super tenere is within 1 or 2 thousand bucks or so from a kitted out BMW.

and sure 2k sounds like a lot.....but when you're spending 24,000 dishing out the extra 2 doesn't seem so tough for a better bike

my numbers might be off but im pretty sure theyre now

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read that the economic downturn of the last two years has been particularly hard on Yamaha; both musical instruments and gas-powered toys are not "must-haves", and both Suzuki and Honda have had their auto and other divisions to fall back on (I don't know about Kawasaki, nor do I know how much financial interdependence exists anymore between the two Yammie divisions). Suzuki in fact didn't import any bikes this past year, concentrating instead on redesign/retool, they may be back particularly strong.

Trivia Question of the Week: both the Yamaha music division and the motorsports division use a "tuning fork/ring" emblem, but they differ in one way between them. Can anyone tell me how? ;)

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
The smaller engine classes seem to be lacking with Yamaha. Honda with the release of the CBR 125 and now the 250 are looking pretty good for cheaper insurance rates and simple in-city commuting. Honda has also come out with the CBF600 or CBF1000 in Canada which is virtually the same as our FZ6 or FZ1. Downgraded half-fared version of the CBR600 or CBR1000. The tenre is nice but the market is not just the BMW they have to compete with. There is the suzuki V-strom or the Ducati Multistrata. With a 35" seat hight limits the number of riders that are tall enough to ride.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read that the economic downturn of the last two years has been particularly hard on Yamaha; both musical instruments and gas-powered toys are not "must-haves", and both Suzuki and Honda have had their auto and other divisions to fall back on (I don't know about Kawasaki, nor do I know how much financial interdependence exists anymore between the two Yammie divisions). Suzuki in fact didn't import any bikes this past year, concentrating instead on redesign/retool, they may be back particularly strong.

Trivia Question of the Week: both the Yamaha music division and the motorsports division use a "tuning fork/ring" emblem, but they differ in one way between them. Can anyone tell me how? ;)

Easy, on the motorcycle emblem the handle points go outside the circle, on the musical one they stay inside.

For the Kawasaki question, they are big into ships, industrial plants, aerospace, etc. So, they should be able to handle the downturn in motorcycle sales.

Tim

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! Yamaha out of touch...not likely! Agree the FZ8 is a parts bin special, but a WSB championship in 09, Moto GP championship again this year, the R1, the Super Tenere, the new Vmax, etc, etc...

And of course, they got rid of the left arm rock thrower, and put another real person on their Moto GP bike for next year...Go Ben!

:rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, the R1 and R6 are rockin' bikes. From what I understand the cruiser set likes the Raider, etal.

Juan1

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are re-enforcing my point. While they may be doing great on the track, and their really expensive new bikes may be doing well, name a sub $10,000 all-rounder from Yamaha that you'd be excited to ride. The FZ1 is close, but has an MSRP of more than $10k, and at this point is a bit dated.

Meanwhile, the ugly Versys is considered to be a tossable wheelie machine, and Suzuki & Honda have new great looking 750s on the horizon with upside down forks. This isn't meant to be a rag on the FZ8 thread either, as Yamaha could produce a 600 UJM or a Versys-like dual sport that hits the price point and is exciting.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are re-enforcing my point. While they may be doing great on the track, and their really expensive new bikes may be doing well, name a sub $10,000 all-rounder from Yamaha that you'd be excited to ride. The FZ1 is close, but has an MSRP of more than $10k, and at this point is a bit dated.

Meanwhile, the ugly Versys is considered to be a tossable wheelie machine, and Suzuki & Honda have new great looking 750s on the horizon with upside down forks. This isn't meant to be a rag on the FZ8 thread either, as Yamaha could produce a 600 UJM or a Versys-like dual sport that hits the price point and is exciting.

You make a good point, and i have to agree...Yamaha has softened the focus of it's naked range, whilst everyone else seems to be going in the opposite direction...decent, higher spec adjustable suspenders, more power from their motors, etc, etc...

:thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha is the Bmw and the Mercedes of the powersports industries. They have never been known for the "cheap" machines..... That is what Suzuki and Kawasaki are for....

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess Yamaha figures the FZ6R is docile enough to be their entry level sportbike for all.

And, they have the 250cc motard and dual-sports for their small-cc bike lineup. I like the Super Tenere but think a better target might have been an 800-cc sized bike in this format. Maybe if its sales are ok, they will bring over the Tenere 660 thumper, that seems like a cooler bike. I suppose it costs them a good chunk of $$ to import a model and no doubt they are looking at the sucess of BMW in the adv-tour segment...and maybe the sales numbers indicate the bigger motor is the best (possible) seller.

Kawi (and suzuki) "parts-bin" several models of their bike lineup... ie ninja 650/Versys, and SV650/vstrom. Many of their other smaller sportbikes are so outdated (Ninja 250 and 500) but I guess they sell enough and the tooling is paid for, that it is still a profitable venture. I do like the Versys especially after the latest re-styling though. I know the buzz is great online about the bike but I wonder what the real sales numbers are like.

I tend to agree that Yamaha has the best quality of "core components"...sometimes the other brands seem like "parts hangers"...nicer fork for example, but the frame looks like it was stick-welded out of scrap iron. I rarely read about Yamahas having engine issues.