Anyone add secondary headlights? Driving/Cornering/Fog?

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How much the dual headlight mods improve the light coverage?

I'm noticing that the low beam is pretty poor out to the sides and I was considering adding some driving/cornering lights to the bike. Has anyone done this? If I got some small ones it looks like I could mount them on the underside of the front faring.

D

D-Rock

i have been thinking about doing the same thing.. it will be intresting to see who responds. i have had my eye on some PIAA's

W

wrightme43

Good bulbs help.
the dual light mod helps.

PIAA bulbs rock.

Did you know that the bluer the light is the less good it is to you at night?
I have a very yellow low and a very blue high. Combined they make for very good night visibility especially in misty, rainy, nasty weather.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried bluer bulbs in my car once. They were terrible! I took them out and went back to stock. I try to pay attention to the temperature (degrees K) now. My bike still has the stock bulbs. I definitely won't be using blue bulbs in the FZ6.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not ride so much in the dark so i find the dual headlight mod for my needs.

I always think people with more than one set of headlights are afraid of the dark.

I don`t think it would look good on a sports bike.

Steve

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I've asked this question in previous thread. My concern adding lights is based on what a few Yamaha mechanics have told me...the electrical "rectifier" will not handle the extra "draw" and burn up i.e. designed from sport bike components not touring.
However have heard of some that have extras and no problems.
My commute starts early so the better I can see or be seen is that much better. If it does not quit look right by some Oh-well!
Ed

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not ride so much in the dark so i find the dual headlight mod for my needs.

I always think people with more than one set of headlights are afraid of the dark.

I don`t think it would look good on a sports bike.

Steve

It's the mammals, especially the ones that move around from dusk to dawn that I'm afraid of. I ride in areas that have plenty of deer, red foxes, raccoons, black bears, dogs, cats, skunks, opossums, and other animals. Hitting any one of these is not high on my agenda.

I'm concerned about the look of driving lights on the FZ6 which is why they'd be small and placed as inconspicuously as possible.

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
I've installed a set of Moto Lites on my wife's FZ6. They look great, bolt onto the caliper, matching black. Only trouble is, with 35W bulbs, the draw was too much and the battery eventually died. I've got a set on my FJR, they work great, HUGE amount of light for night driving, and very noticeable/safer in the daytime. The company was nice enough to swap out the bulbs with 20W, but I haven't had the chance yet to change them out to see if it fixes the problem.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've installed a set of Moto Lites on my wife's FZ6. They look great, bolt onto the caliper, matching black. Only trouble is, with 35W bulbs, the draw was too much and the battery eventually died. I've got a set on my FJR, they work great, HUGE amount of light for night driving, and very noticeable/safer in the daytime. The company was nice enough to swap out the bulbs with 20W, but I haven't had the chance yet to change them out to see if it fixes the problem.
They bolt on to the brake calipers? Do you have a picture? If the extra draw is too much for the electricl system I wonder if there's a mod to change the alternator for increased output. I know some electrical engineers. I'm going to ask them about the rectifier and the draw on the system. Maybe there's something that can be done.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Good bulbs help.
the dual light mod helps.

PIAA bulbs rock.

Did you know that the bluer the light is the less good it is to you at night?
I have a very yellow low and a very blue high. Combined they make for very good night visibility especially in misty, rainy, nasty weather.

+! to Wrightme! I did the opposite though and went with a Silverstar low beam (lots of brighter light & WIDER too...or at least more light on the sides where it was dull before so it has the illusion of being brighter) and a yellow highbeam for nighttime canyons or what not...

I typically drive daytime with my highbeam on anyways and I also put +1 on a cool factor to the look of the bike...people notice it a LOT more and move out of the way and also I get looks from people when I park.

before spending over $100, try the replace bulbs route and spend no more than $100 (if you buy the $80 PIAA) ... I spent $40 for the Silverstar and Nokya yellow together! Very satisfied...THANKS WRIGHTME!!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's the mammals, especially the ones that move around from dusk to dawn that I'm afraid of. I ride in areas that have plenty of deer, red foxes, raccoons, black bears, dogs, cats, skunks, opossums, and other animals. Hitting any one of these is not high on my agenda.

I'm concerned about the look of driving lights on the FZ6 which is why they'd be small and placed as inconspicuously as possible.

Its the same in Denmark...I think they wait until they hear the bike and then say to each other "Lets get the B#####d"

I saw on e-bay that you can get whistle type thing to fasten to the bike which scares animals away as you approach them...I almost thought of getting one for the FZ6.....NOT.

Tractors are another hazard around here. I was riding towards one the other night and it was coming towards me. It was pitch black and because of the lights on the tractor I could not see what it had on the back. I slowed almost to a stop and pulled as far to the right as I could....we ride on the right in Denmark.

It turns out the tractor had double wide tyres on the back end and was pulling a plough which took up nearly all the road. There were no lights on the plough so I would have probably ran into it.

Steve

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
They bolt on to the brake calipers? Do you have a picture? If the extra draw is too much for the electricl system I wonder if there's a mod to change the alternator for increased output. I know some electrical engineers. I'm going to ask them about the rectifier and the draw on the system. Maybe there's something that can be done.

Here's a link to the Moto Light site. The ones they show are like a brushed aluminum, but they come in a sort of flat black--they match perfectly on FZ6. I'm on crutches right now, or I'd go out and snap a pic

https://www.motolight.com/index.php...xt=&lastsort=ItemName&lastdir=ASC&moreinfo=13

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Dual Headlights Mods are great. But Hid kits are better. I love night riding and ever since I added H7 4300K, its was like night and day difference.
HID kits are the bomb....:rockon:

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
Dual Headlights Mods are great. But Hid kits are better. I love night riding and ever since I added H7 4300K, its was like night and day difference.
HID kits are the bomb....:rockon:

I'm sure the HID kits are great. I don't know if the HID's replace the normal headlights?, but what I like about the Moto Lights is that the lights are mounted on the calipers, and having the 2 small but very bright lights come from a different location really makes the biker visible, both in nightime and daytime driving conditions. Lots of folks drive with their high beams on all the time, but I don't like to do that, I think it tends to blind the people in front of you, even in the daytime. :thumbup:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org

mojan

Reaction score
Visit site
Dang...you paid THAT price for lights????????

People spend THAT price for a new set of cans--just for fun! To me, it's strictly a safety issue. An awful lof of cars hit motorcycles because the cagers "don't see" the motorcycle. I'm in favor of anything that changes that equation. I originally bought them for my Harley Sportster. You could get more light from a 4 D cell flashlight than the headlight.:D

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to the Moto Light site. The ones they show are like a brushed aluminum, but they come in a sort of flat black--they match perfectly on FZ6. I'm on crutches right now, or I'd go out and snap a pic

https://www.motolight.com/index.php...xt=&lastsort=ItemName&lastdir=ASC&moreinfo=13

I would also like to see some pics whenever you're able to get some.

Hitting a deer/elk/bear/moose/etc is also not on my agenda.

I've found the PIAA driving lights for around $240, but I think they just clamp onto the forks. These Motolights would probably look nicer.