Any IS-16 experience?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
So my wife went looking for new riding gear last night, and came across the "old" HJC FS-10 that I've been wanting. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year when they went on closeout at newenough.com, but opted not to, out of lack of funds. The finding of an FS-10 got me looking for its replacement IS-16, and once again, newenough.com was checked out, and their prices are quite reasonable.

I found a few reviews online of the IS-16, and I was wondering if anyone here has one, or knew someone who does, that could give me a more personalized review, rather than the salesman's pitch.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had one for a few months before I laid my bike down last year. The internal sun shade was great, especially since I work twelve hour days and don't like carrying an extra shield back and forth to work with me. It did not fit my head exactly right but if it wasn't for hitting my head when I went down I would still be using it. I've tried 4 other helmets and finally decided to find one that fit my head right. The HJC was the best fitting one, for me, that I had before my new helmet. I didn't get to wear it in any real low temps, I think the lowest was 50 F, but I thought it vented pretty good. Liner seemed pretty comfortable. If it had fit my head just a little different I would have bought another one.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I had one for a few months before I laid my bike down last year. The internal sun shade was great, especially since I work twelve hour days and don't like carrying an extra shield back and forth to work with me. It did not fit my head exactly right but if it wasn't for hitting my head when I went down I would still be using it. I've tried 4 other helmets and finally decided to find one that fit my head right. The HJC was the best fitting one, for me, that I had before my new helmet. I didn't get to wear it in any real low temps, I think the lowest was 50 F, but I thought it vented pretty good. Liner seemed pretty comfortable. If it had fit my head just a little different I would have bought another one.

I heard reports of the top vents whistling. Did you run into any of that? From the sounds of it, the IS-16 is quite a bit quieter than my CL-15, so that's a major bonus for me.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear earplugs when I ride so no I didn't notice any whistling, or at least I don't recall it being an issue.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
To me the most important thing is the fit. I've tried on a few of the HJC helmets and the only one that I liked was the CL-SP I haven't tried on any of the newer ones, but if it fits your face and head than that's the important part.

nnowatzk

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one as my first helmet ever, so I can't compare to others, but I have no complaints at all about the IS-16. I think that the quality and features you get for the price are hard to beat. Helmet fits me great, and I can't imagine doing without the integrated sun shade. Only fogging issues have been riding at around 32 deg F, and even then only when not moving.

I've encountered occasional buzzing and/or whistling on the highway with really strong crosswinds (25 mph+), but otherwise just general wind noise. I wear earplugs on the highway so it hasn't been an issue.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It certainly sounds to me like I've found my next helmet.

Thanks guys!

Once I get it, I'll be sure to post up a review.