Any advice on renting a car in Cancun, Mexico

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally the week the family and I have been waiting for has arrived. We go on vacation coming Monday to Mayakoba, Mexico for a whole week of much needed R&R. We will be staying at the Fairmont Mayakoba a few hrs from Cancun. I have some excursions planned and booked but was thinking of renting a car and driving around and exploring the area a bit.
Has anyone been to this part of Mexico and if so please share some info.
Also I have never driven myself in Mexico but want to rent a car this time.
How does this insurance thing work? I see that car insurance for Mexico is available at all the online car rentals. Any suggestions ???

Cancun Hotels: Cancun Luxury Hotel & Resort at The Fairmont Mayakoba

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been to Cancun a few times, well actually it was 1 hour South of Cancun since Cancun itself sucks big time (unless you want to feel like you're in America, surrounded by a bunch of drunk teenage Americans)... Playa Del Carmen on the other hand is AWESOME! There are lots of awesome natural parks around that area, and you can also take the ferry to Cozumel, which is an amazing little island (world famous for its diving).

Renting a car is just as easy as anywhere else in the World... either do it online or get it at the Airport or ask at your hotel... insurance works the same way as well, you just ask for it when you rent the car and pay the $25/day additional :)

I'd recommend this: Xcaret - Cancun most amazing eco park and Tulum Ruins: Mayan Ruins Tulum Mexico photos and history, LocoGringo.Com

And more info here if you're in the area: Playa del Carmen - Activities And Daytrips

Have fun!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Mexico for a week a while back. I stayed in Cozumel, visted Cancun, Tulum, playa del carmen, and a few other places. With my experience, I would suggest booking activities through your resort. They provide bus transportation back and forth to wherever you are going.

We explored ruins, went on 6 hour shopping excursions, did a safari/zipline adventure through the jungle - all with buses booked through the hotel.

If I may suggest, I would not rent a car if possible. Mexico can get confusing, you may find yourself in a part of town you don't want to be in. I'm not sure if you can read/speak Spanish fluently enough to find your way around, but if not it can get quite difficult to navigate.

Getting around in a place where you don't speak the language is not easy, I suggest doing hotel sponsored activities (on or off resort) with transportation included. It was simple, cheap, safe, and saves you the stress of driving in an unfamiliar place with poor Mexican's pounding on the windows blurting out things you don't understand.

Another thing, if you go shopping on the streets, if it is in a tent (and not a store) - NEVER NEVER NEVER pay what they ask. Offer them HALF of what they are asking for. If they laugh or say no, walk away. They want your business and will tap you on the shoulder and say ok quietly as to keep their business as profitable as possible.

And do not buy "cuban" cigars from anybody but a Cigar STORE. Every vendor from a tent will sell fake cuban cigars, swap the labels, and charge you double price. Careful shopping in the streets, they will do anything for your money.

Order drinks with no ice and don't drink the water.

If you can do the (i think it was called) Mayan Zipline Adventure - that was AMAZING. Scuba diving in caves, ziplining a hundred feet in the air, and repelling. Well worth the money.

I realize i just wrote a novel, but I learned a few things in Mexico that I wish I'd have known ahead of time. So, I hope this helps.