Another Steed in the Stable!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
So this past weekend, the old man returned to team blue!

No pics because i haven't been home to see it yet, but it's a leftover, white '12 FZ1. Brand new, 0 miles at the time of purchase! Pretty much the same situation as my FZ6, 2 models old at time of purchase, leftover stock, running deals on other stuff (convinced dealer to do the same for the Yami)

A friend of ours is planning to buy the BMW since he sold his bike a while back, so that's covered.

We both joined the FZ1 forum and hope to learn a bit there as well.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So this past weekend, the old man returned to team blue!

No pics because i haven't been home to see it yet, but it's a leftover, white '12 FZ1. Brand new, 0 miles at the time of purchase! Pretty much the same situation as my FZ6, 2 models old at time of purchase, leftover stock, running deals on other stuff (convinced dealer to do the same for the Yami)

A friend of ours is planning to buy the BMW since he sold his bike a while back, so that's covered.

We both joined the FZ1 forum and hope to learn a bit there as well.

NICE!! See you over there! Can't wait to see pics of the new FZ1

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats, nice upgrade.

well its not my bike, and i guess its more just a change of pace for the old man. it has more power than the Beemer but it's not quite as capable in some respects.

I have been considering the Fz1 as well....its almost like I want to combine the R1 and the FZ6 :D

I haven't had the chance to ride an FZ1 yet, but i would imagine you'd be about right. Ive only ridden a CBR1000 as far as Litre SS bikes go, and not very hard or for very long, but i would imagine it would be similar, but more user friendly. its not quite as flickable as the FZ6 or the Beemer however (the BMW and FZ1 have the same wheelbase & are 1.7" longer than the FZ6). We have been talking of running a 190-55 tire instead of a 190-50 for better crown and turn in.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody here have the Ivan's FCE module on their FZ1? Ive been on Ivan's site, i know what it does, blah blah. However, he recommends to use it in conjunction with a power commander, but PCs are detrimental to fuel economy (the FZ1 has enough power, and not the greatest gas mileage ~38ish) and i was wondering if it is effective as a stand-alone mod that doesn't effect MPG.

This bike will be used for trips > 400mi. at least 3x a year. filling up every 120 miles is pathetic (i know the bike will go further...) since i can go about 180 on the FZ6 with room to spare.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody here have the Ivan's FCE module on their FZ1? Ive been on Ivan's site, i know what it does, blah blah. However, he recommends to use it in conjunction with a power commander, but PCs are detrimental to fuel economy (the FZ1 has enough power, and not the greatest gas mileage ~38ish) and i was wondering if it is effective as a stand-alone mod that doesn't effect MPG.

This bike will be used for trips > 400mi. at least 3x a year. filling up every 120 miles is pathetic (i know the bike will go further...) since i can go about 180 on the FZ6 with room to spare.

LOL. I've only got mileage that high when I was touring through Colorado and was able to get 85/86 octane gas. In AZ I was getting 35-36 with all highway and 30-31 with city riding in the summer. Right now in the winter with allowing for idle to warm up and I guess that the ECU runs rich in cold weather I got a tank as low as 26 mpg the other day. I am setup in a naked configuration but seriously I don't think it should knock that much off fuel mileage.

Best mileage I got out of a tank was 150 and usually the light will turn on pretty consistently at 135-140 when touring. Supposedly there is another 0.75 gallons in the reserve, but I don't ever want to test that.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You'll get loads of answers regarding mods on FZ1 forum. Most people do it for performance.. in fact I can't think of anyone who's done it to improve fuel eco. I typically go 130-140 between fill-ups, which takes me 10-20 miles into reserve, every time. 35mpg is about it (with very occasional higher figures).

There will be lots of things you'll love about FZ1, coming from FZ6, but fuel eco will not be one of them. 190/55 is a popular change.. most say it improves handling drastically (I've not tried this). Few have mentioned it makes center stand less usable.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been considering the Fz1 as well....its almost like I want to combine the R1 and the FZ6 :D

Without mods, FZ1 is nowhere near R1, but it is significantly quicker than FZ6. If you're used to R1, FZ1 may feel slow :eek:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
How are you getting 35 mpg on the fz1????
On my R1 I am actually getting the same (~48mpg) as the fz6. And that should be the same 20valve motor as you have....

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
How are you getting 35 mpg on the fz1????
On my R1 I am actually getting the same (~48mpg) as the fz6. And that should be the same 20valve motor as you have....

that's my thought, but most people get worse mileage than i do for most vehicles. and it cant be that im just "lucky" with them. also i dont ride around like a grandma to church, i get ~50mpg when im really getting after it on the backroads (FZ6). i truly think most people just don't ride/drive smoothly or in the correct gear for the job at hand.

also the FZ1 has no overdrive gear (which is really stupid).
FZ1 Specifications

You'll get loads of answers regarding mods on FZ1 forum. Most people do it for performance.. in fact I can't think of anyone who's done it to improve fuel eco. I typically go 130-140 between fill-ups, which takes me 10-20 miles into reserve, every time. 35mpg is about it (with very occasional higher figures).

There will be lots of things you'll love about FZ1, coming from FZ6, but fuel eco will not be one of them. 190/55 is a popular change.. most say it improves handling drastically (I've not tried this). Few have mentioned it makes center stand less usable.

I dont want to improve ECO, i just dont want to lose it. For my interests, Ivan's FCE is to smooth the throttle response. i was just curious if anybody here has done it to their FZ1. also i think a larger front sprocket has a good chance of getting installed....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that's my thought, but most people get worse mileage than i do for most vehicles. and it cant be that im just "lucky" with them. also i dont ride around like a grandma to church, i get ~50mpg when im really getting after it on the backroads (FZ6). i truly think most people just don't ride/drive smoothly or in the correct gear for the job at hand.

also the FZ1 has no overdrive gear (which is really stupid).
FZ1 Specifications

I dont want to improve ECO, i just dont want to lose it. For my interests, Ivan's FCE is to smooth the throttle response. i was just curious if anybody here has done it to their FZ1. also i think a larger front sprocket has a good chance of getting installed....

Out of 100 users on FZ1 board, 99 get ~35mpg. That's just the norm for that bike. Typically, fuel map mods which make the bike smoother make the fuel economy worse.

Larger front sproket.. that'll give you slightly better mpg, I suppose, but keep in mind that compared to FZ6, FZ1 in stock form is geared astronomically high (as in over 90mph can be seen in 2nd gear).

Ride it in stock form before you decide on any mods. That's my advice :thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think any bike technically had an overdrive ratio.... The fz6's 6th is 1.08? And the R1 is 1.15?
Those numbers were just a quick google and probably vary a tad, but it gets my point.
35mpg still SUCKS tho.... Like royally.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Don't even bother with the FCE, get the ECU flashed and be done with it. The flash adjusts the fuel map, timing, 1 - 3rd gear restrictions, fuel cut, etc. etc. The FCE only addresses fuel cut.

Look into flashes aside from Ivan as he has elected to NOT address fueling. If you get his flash you'll need to get a PCV from him with his fuel map. Kind of a PITA.

Regardless, the FZ1 is a very fun bike.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think any bike technically had an overdrive ratio.... The fz6's 6th is 1.08? And the R1 is 1.15?
Those numbers were just a quick google and probably vary a tad, but it gets my point.
35mpg still SUCKS tho.... Like royally.

the old mans BMW has 2 overdrives

even 1.000 - 5th (not quite)
around 8.7 - 6th