Another question for my Aussie friends

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
As I posted earlier my son is going to Perth soon. He will be bringing his computer and other devices that will need electricity. From what I have read you have 240v and a 3 prong plug vs our 120v and 2 prong plug. Are adapters available so he can use his computer, etc.?
Thanks for the help, Doug

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this Electricity Around the World and you should be able to find transformers to take care of all your 120 volt stuff. There is a difference in frequency but that shouldn't relate to any of the new electronics today unless you were using some old electronics that used 60 cycle for clocking through a power supply. Probably Radio Shack has what you need.

muck_mahone

Reaction score
Visit site
What you will need is an "isolation transformer", sometimes they're called "step up" or "step down" transformers. We recently were given a japanese breadmaker (110V) and I got a step up transformer so that it would work on the 240V we have in Australia. The Australian electonics market is a backwater on the global scale and we don't get the really cool stuff thats available to larger markets, like Japan or the US. We've found that getting the right transformer is well worth the effort.
Oh, you'll need to consider the watts consumed, the general rule of thumb is 3X.
So if your device uses 330watts to operate, you are going to need a 900/1000 watt transformer to get it running.