Another 'front end clunk' thread...

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Looks like I need the input of the collective hive again;

I have font end clunk (feel like its in the yoke/steering stem). I've tried everything I've read;
-Check for bearing looseness/grab forks check/etc... all seem 100% fine.
-Checked for loose engine bolts (sound travels), triple clamps tom/bottom, brake bolts

It is apparent toward the very end of the brake procedure (2-3 seconds from complete stop), and I CANNOT reproduce while neutral/straddling the bike, only when coming to a stop from riding.

Now, I did not remove the bars, etc and physically look at the bearings yet, I'm hoping someone will share another nugget of wisdom first. ie. can it be from the forks themselves? Too little/much oil, springs backwards, etc...? Dealer serviced them last season, thus my inquiry.

Thanks!!!!

P.S. WRT my other temp issue; if anyone cares, radiator is fine, hoses fine, coolant clean/topped off, haven't removed thermo yet, going to do that after a coolant flush next weekend if necessary.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Subscribed! I noticed a sound from my front end when braking this morning, never heard a sound before, might have to do the bearings earlier than later.

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Subscribed! I noticed a sound from my front end when braking this morning, never heard a sound before, might have to do the bearings earlier than later.

The bearings were my first thought, but the bike has about 10k miles, been in rain, but not THAT much, and steering falls side/side perfectly w/ NO play of the forks. I've read on other forums about completely misc things causing the sound, but I'm out of ideas (ie. subframe being lose, engine bolts, swapped pads).

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Does yours do it every time you brake hard, or only sometimes?

Mine only did it once in 10 miles so maybe it was a fluke.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just throwing this out there: I've found the rear shock top bolt loose on 3 different bikes. If you're running stock springs and oil up front, the nose drops so far the rear unloads and clunks during heavy braking.

If you have it on the center stand, push down on the rear until the rear tire touches. Do you feel or hear anything? Do this several times. If it clunks, place your hand on the top of the shock and push down again, you may feel the shock move in relation to the frame.

The other thing I'd check would be the front sprocket nut. There should be no red rust and do keep in mind that even though the nut may be at torque, that doesn't mean the sprocket is not moving on the shaft. The hint will be red rust coming from the splines. Take a look there too if nothing else shows up.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure when you are checking for play you give the forks a good yank with someone holding the back to prevent rolling off the stand. My first time with the clunk had me fooled because I was not tugging hard enough. Small movement makes a big clunk at speed. Also make sure the front disk buttons are not bound up. Delboy has a good cleaning method on YouTube.

Good luck and keep us informed.