Another Bike Hauler! Inspired by ant_mb (Now modded!)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Another Bike Hauler! Inspired by ant_mb :D

Cursory search finds plenty with the carabiner on one but not both ends.... I guess I could just get the High Rollers and put a carabiner on the other end. If I put it through and leave the hook and end up with both options. The end with the hook is a soft tie as well. Bonus!

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site

I've loaded & towed a bit both with open & an enclosed trailer. Best investment we made was getting LA chocks, don't need as many tiedown straps and I can load & tie w/o help & don't need to compress the shock. Several trips before I always had to restrap or tighten quite frequently especially if highways were rough, after we got the chocks I rarely had any loose straps. Good luck & have fun

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site

Do you have a lock on the Drop Gate? I put one on one side of my trailer because we sometimes leave the trailer unattended when we go in to eat or something. I got a locking pin that works to hold your receiver hitch to your truck. Looks similar to this one. If not, they could just cut your straps and take your bikes. With this lock, they would have to either cut the lock as well, or lift the bikes over the sides. Just and idea, and I FEEL safer with it on.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site

General question: In the absence of those Canyon Dancer things, where should the tie downs normally go in the front and rear? I've never had to haul my bike but will soon. Thanks!

/threadjack

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

Awesome... I think I'm going to copy you soon!! Great job Eric.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do you have a lock on the Drop Gate? I put one on one side of my trailer because we sometimes leave the trailer unattended when we go in to eat or something. I got a locking pin that works to hold your receiver hitch to your truck. Looks similar to this one. If not, they could just cut your straps and take your bikes. With this lock, they would have to either cut the lock as well, or lift the bikes over the sides. Just and idea, and I FEEL safer with it on.

I'm doing a cable with a lock through the gate and around the post. Excellent point though!

As for the bikes, they will also be cable locked to the trailer along with the tie downs. I'll be wrapping a tie-down around the front wheel and through the chock to keep it in place regardless of the straps to the Canyon Dancers. Technically, if I had the right straps, I could do just the front wheel and leave the suspension alone (no Canyon Dancers).

So, to recap, I have the following in place:

Receiver - locked to truck
Tongue - Locked to hitch
Spare tire - Getting wheel locks for all three wheels prior to leaving.
Bikes - Locked to chocks AND trailer with cables.
Ramp gate - locked to post.
Tie-downs - Buying 4 sets of High Rollers with carabiners on one end. I'll put carabiners on the other end and leave the hooks in place.

I'll also be carrying extra tie-downs in the event some jacka$$ decides to vandalize my existing straps while we stop for the night.

I have a lock for the trailer should we have to leave it and take the truck someplace during the trip.
s7_020187_imageset_01

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

General question: In the absence of those Canyon Dancer things, where should the tie downs normally go in the front and rear? I've never had to haul my bike but will soon. Thanks!

/threadjack

If you can get the tie-down points out to the sides, you can tie at the handlebars. You have to be careful of the straps hitting the fairing because it can and will crack them under pressure.

BTW, the new Canyon Dancers II have cups instead of the sleeves.
0000_Canyon_Dancer_Bar_Harness_II.jpg

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site

Very nice. Your trailer really looks sharp.

I like the "D" rind in the middle for a tie down. I have a metal grate floor in mine, so I just hook through there. I also added eye bolts to the top of the rails of the trailer, so that I always have something to hook the straps to. At every Vertical support on the side rail, I put an eye bolt. However, I see that your trailer is made of tube so that would be a little more difficult. Mine is mad of angle, so it was pretty easy to add the eye bolts.

You are going to need one of those big Janitor Rings for all of the keys :D, but worth the peace of mind. I have a separate key chain just for the 3 locks on my trailer.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Awesome... I think I'm going to copy you soon!! Great job Eric.

The Holmes trailers aren't available in CA yet but I'm sure there are many just like it available. I liked this one for the square stock sides rather than the angle iron. All the angle iron ones could be torqued with me standing on one of the front corners and jumping. this one? Not a chance of movement!

If you're hauling two, you'll need the 6' wide beyond a doubt. :thumbup:

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com

Here's my trailer. It's a Leonard and was just a shade over $600...8x10 if I remember right. I'm about ready to throw some wood on the floor of it and add my chock for some summer camping trips. It's the perfect size for a bike and perhaps two.
IMG_1812.JPG

The car can pull up to 2000lbs. ;)

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Smaller singles (trailers) can be had fairly cheap and will haul with most any vehicle.

Check out this one: Motorcycle Trailer - 745TC-1TS76M Motorcycle Trailer

I bought this heavy duty trailer because it is going to double as a cargo/utility trailer. I plan on making the chocks removable/lockable at some point by fabricating a metal mount that will stretch side to side on the trailer.

Nice rig! I am setting up a single 4x8 trailer to haul the bike up to track days or take on vacation. I had a question on the chock. Are you able to ride the bike into the chock, get off and strap it down on your own? In other words is it stable enough? I need to be able to load/unload on my own. I think Harbor Freight has the Haulmaster chock for about $40.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nice rig! I am setting up a single 4x8 trailer to haul the bike up to track days or take on vacation. I had a question on the chock. Are you able to ride the bike into the chock, get off and strap it down on your own? In other words is it stable enough? I need to be able to load/unload on my own. I think Harbor Freight has the Haulmaster chock for about $40.

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner! Yes, I got them at Harbor Freight as well. I am able to drive on and get off the bike without issue. I can tell you that you need to stand it as close to perfectly vertical as possible because if it sways, it can fall over.

I drive it in with the Canyon Dancer laying over the tank and a tie-down over my shoulder. While still on the bike, I put the Dancer on the grips and I'll have the tie-down on the rail side of the trailer laying within reach. I put that through the Dancer, then put the one on my shoulder into the other side of the Dancer. When I get off the bike, I hold this strap so if it started to lean, I can pull it toward me. It will not fall on me because the other side is loosely tied down already. ;)

These chocks aren't perfect but to be honest, I've never had the bike tip in it. My wife's V Star has a more narrow front tire and hers tips easily so I use the same method with hers.

I've driven in and let it stand without straps and as long as the wind isn't howling and I am not jumping around on the trailer, it stands up fine.

LEt me know if you have any other questions.

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey FZinNH,

Should be setting mine up this weekend. Thanks for the tips.
I will use the strap n cinch while standing technique so the bike doesnt fall over. Maybe I can rig a wooden block that is thick enough to set the side-stand on so it's upright while I'm fiddling with the straps.

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com

I've used Canyon Dancers and other bar attachments, but I also managed to bend my bars hauling last summer. A Yamaha mechanic suggested that I instead just strap around the lower triple. It clears the plastic, is solid as a rock, and doesn't put any strain on the bars or throttle mechanism. I highly recommend it.:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hey FZinNH,

Should be setting mine up this weekend. Thanks for the tips.
I will use the strap n cinch while standing technique so the bike doesnt fall over. Maybe I can rig a wooden block that is thick enough to set the side-stand on so it's upright while I'm fiddling with the straps.

Please do share some pics of that setup!

One thing I considered is having the hooks for the Canyon Dancers in a ready position but I'm contemplating ideas on how to do it. I thought about a small pocket on each side of the trailer to prop a small rod of PVC (maybe 3/4") in that has a hook on the end? Have the tie-downs laying out flat beside where I drive in, then grab the hook and pull each up to the Dancer and attach them. Once they are both attached, it can only lean so far so I'm not worried about exiting the bike. The FZ6 is much more stable in these chocks than her narrow-tire V Star.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I've used Canyon Dancers and other bar attachments, but I also managed to bend my bars hauling last summer. A Yamaha mechanic suggested that I instead just strap around the lower triple. It clears the plastic, is solid as a rock, and doesn't put any strain on the bars or throttle mechanism. I highly recommend it.:thumbup:

Jim, that is an awful lot of tension to put on the bars... seems you had the tiedowns cinched too tight. With the chocks and carabiners, a fair amount of pressure will hold the bike even in extreme braking of the trailer. The chock prevents forward movement. The rear straps keep the back from jumping and with carabiners or snap-hooks on all ends, they cannot pop off and set the bike loose. :thumbup:

Almost all of the people who have had a bad experience with the Canyon Dancers that I've met of talked to have siad they likely could have used less tension on the tie-downs. ;)

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site

I was going to say that you may want to see if you can add some reflectors or some additional brake lights to the trailer (maybe wire up an led strip across the bottom as you see now on some trucks). Then an additional question popped into my head that I really have no answer for but you all may want to look into... how does insurance coverage work if there is damage to your bike in an accident, either your fault or another's fault, while you are towing it.

Looks great! Wish I had someplace to store a trailer.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I was going to say that you may want to see if you can add some reflectors or some additional brake lights to the trailer (maybe wire up an led strip across the bottom as you see now on some trucks). Then an additional question popped into my head that I really have no answer for but you all may want to look into... how does insurance coverage work if there is damage to your bike in an accident, either your fault or another's fault, while you are towing it.

Looks great! Wish I had someplace to store a trailer.

I have given thought to adding some strips of reflective tape on the underside of the gate. You can see it does have the third-eye brake light in the bottom center and two reflectors at the top of the gate. If I do get the tape, I want to do some on the sides as well. All the lights are LED on this rig and very bright, especially at night.

As for insurance, I'm covered for the trailer and what ever I am towing within. If would be an expensive claim to take out the truck, trailer and two '08 bikes though! :eek: ;) We did cann our agent and clarify that a while back but that is an EXCELLENT question! For those planning a similar setup, be sure you have proper coverage.

Also, east coast folks, you need to visit the local Easy Pass walk-in or call about your pass before the trip. The last thing you want is a string of tickets for blowing through the tolls on a passenger Pass and not being properly charged for the trailer as well. :thumbup:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com

Jim, that is an awful lot of tension to put on the bars... seems you had the tiedowns cinched too tight. With the chocks and carabiners, a fair amount of pressure will hold the bike even in extreme braking of the trailer. The chock prevents forward movement. The rear straps keep the back from jumping and with carabiners or snap-hooks on all ends, they cannot pop off and set the bike loose. :thumbup:

Almost all of the people who have had a bad experience with the Canyon Dancers that I've met of talked to have siad they likely could have used less tension on the tie-downs. ;)

Possibly, but my trailer also has chocks and the rear is also tied down, further forcing the bike into the chocks, so that there's little pressure on the bars. I typically cinched them down so that they used about half of their travel. I've hauled for years, so maybe I just got a weak bar. Regardless, not loading the bars is an even better solution, hence my advice to use the lower triple as the tie down points up front.