Alternative to Porsche 911??

Hey, i have a Ford Falcooooooooooon (falcon) XR6.... Love that Car...big heavy brute of a car, with just enough grunt to have some fun!

Nearly boughjt the "Boss" version, when i bought mine, but petrol was $1.90 a litre at the time....and was not looking like going back to "normal" prices!

:rockon:
Like I said, Ford :shakehead:

Another miata owner here...

I bought a 2003 with 30,000 miles on it that was in truly excellent condition for $8,400 in April of 2009.

I love how extremely reliable and cheap to own it is. It's a blast in the tight stuff and handles the highway just fine as well (it pulls in top gear at 80 mph).

It take a lot of skill to drive fast though...as it really only makes power over 5,000 RPM and redlines at 7,000, so. I've driven with friends that I was able to keep up with for the first few turns, but once a straight came that lead to the next set of turns, I could no longer keep up.

Another miata owner here...

I bought a 2003 with 30,000 miles on it that was in truly excellent condition for $8,400 in April of 2009.

I love how extremely reliable and cheap to own it is. It's a blast in the tight stuff and handles the highway just fine as well (it pulls in top gear at 80 mph).

It take a lot of skill to drive fast though...as it really only makes power over 5,000 RPM and redlines at 7,000, so. I've driven with friends that I was able to keep up with for the first few turns, but once a straight came that lead to the next set of turns, I could no longer keep up.

Flyin' Miata : the turbo kits "boom! Problem solved"

My buddy Wally bought this car. Um..... WOW Flyin' Miata : Project cars: The Yellow Submarine

041602_sub.jpg

Last edited:
In defense of Porsche, the 1978 thru 1983 911SC models are very durable. 300,000 miles is very common. Parts are cheaper than you might think. And since they last so long, they are cheaper to run on a cost per mile basis than most economy cars. Road and Track did a feature on the 911sc a few years ago.

If you want an older Porsche, this is the vintage to get.

In defense of Porsche, the 1978 thru 1983 911SC models are very durable. 300,000 miles is very common. Parts are cheaper than you might think. And since they last so long, they are cheaper to run on a cost per mile basis than most economy cars. Road and Track did a feature on the 911sc a few years ago.

If you want an older Porsche, this is the vintage to get.

I agree that the car overall is pretty durable and simple enough in design that repairs can be DIY. That vintage will have galvanized steel so the chance of body rot is much less. But, the engines need a "lot of love" to restore a neglected one, and there are numerous improved parts I have read that should be retrofitted to the motor to make it less likely to grenade. According to my web research, a good builder gets $10k+ to redo an engine :eek:

Back