Air Injection System (AIS) removal - quick ?'s

sleepymas

Reaction score
Visit site
cool thanks for the description on how it works, i can see where some very small gains and taking away the pop can come now but minimal is what i would assume, but every little bit helps if it makes a rider more confident!!

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
The AIS on our bikes has no air pump, it relies on vacuum in the exhaust port to draw air in vs. vorced air by a pump. The goal of the system is similar to cars though...provide excess-air so that any unburned fuel in the exhaust stream is burned esp. at cold start or idle. This is good for emissions and also good for the health of the catalytic converter.

I'm not sure how removing the system is going to make any performance gains. Granted on a race bike it eliminates some weight and components and there may be some thermal advantages. I suppose that by removing it you'll be affecting what the O2 sensor sees at certain conditions, which may cause a fuel trim shift on 2007+ bikes. It is probable that the O2 sensor is ignored when AIS is commanded active though...so maybe no change there.

I don't think it does a test (like downstream O2 monitoring) other than a continuity check on the solenoid. That is more of a OBD2 requirement for cars.

*EDIT* I reviewed the error code table for a 2007, and do not see one listed for AIS solenoid. So, it may be possible to simply disconnnect it if you are so inclined and not see a fault code.
There is only an output test listed:

48 AI system solenoid
Actuates the AI system solenoid
for five times every second.

Illuminates the engine trouble
warning light.

Check the operating sound
of the AI system solenoid
five times.

This is where i worried the most since i owned a 2008 FZ6.Assuming the original ECU was programmed to integrated with the O2 sensor,blocking the AIS with only indicate a slightly richer mixture to sensor and this in turn "unintensionally" lean the mixture.
I guess this will not posted a problem for pre 2007 model since that is no closed loop feedback on the ECU.
Have anyone with a 2007+ fz6 done this mod?

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hazy,

I removed my AIS this summer when installing autotune/PC5. Used Circuit1 block off plates and plugged the airbox inlet with a valve cap.

No code, no issues. Less popping, and the autotune has been reading well and was double checked at dyno.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Okay, so I removed my AIS yesterday. I used Roth's Smog Plates to block everything off, used the cap that came with the plates on the hose outlet on the airbox, and ripped everything out.

Put everything back together, bike wouldn't start. Completely forgot that somebody said *not* to just unplug the electrical connector that goes to the AIS system, so ripped everything apart again, plugged just that one piece back in, and wrapped the (now empty) hose ports on it with electrical tape.

Everything works great now, no codes, no light. I DO still have PLENTY of popping though, although I do seem to have a bit better throttle response. The only thing I can think of is my Two Bros is causing me to run really rich and even though there is no AIS system there is enough unburnt fuel in my exhaust that it is combusting just from hitting regular air?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems if someone can tolerate the CEL being on. You could either unplug wires to do a test and see if adds anything to the performance. Then open it up, plug it back in and make another run with it active.

Just a thought. . .

Does anyone have any proof it comes on at idle or is just when the throttle is closed and there is high engine vacuum?

A hand held meter or an LED with a tiny resistor could be used to get a reading on when its active.

Just thinking out loud. I'll stop now. :D