Air Compressors

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here's a different one....Air Compressors :BLAA:

I am looking to buy a small 15-30 gallon portable compressor (120V) for the house. It'll be used for basic needs maybe a few times a month. Tools being used would be 1/2 impact wrench, air rachet, and maybe an air sander.

The question is (since there's a mind blowing number of options :eek:) what do you use/suggest and why?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. :thumbup:

Nick

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a sucker for a Dewalt/Emglo or a Makita for portable use. Not sure about the air sander, but 5+CFM @ 90PSI should handle the impact and ratchet well enough for home use. If I were in your shoes (and I sort of am- I want a portable compressor, but don't need that much tank) I'd probably get a 2.5-5 gallon portable, and find a big old tank to stick in the garage/shop for stationary use.

ChaosCrayons

Reaction score
Visit site
a month ago I would have suggested Ingersoll Rand as a brand but seeing as I, along with 399 other IT positions, were just outsourced and basically told as of june we will be out of a job. So stay away from them ;)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
There are lots of good comressors out there, both oil and oiless models. The thing to always consider is how much air, (not just psi but scfm), do you need? While filling a tire requires practically nothing, some good impacts, ratchets, and sanders/side grinders require 80 psi and something like 30 cubic feet of air per minute - or more. It's not just about the pressure but the volume as well. Check your tools and see what they require before buying! Good luck!

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
some good impacts, ratchets, and sanders/side grinders require 80 psi and something like 30 cubic feet of air per minute - or more. It's not just about the pressure but the volume as well. Check your tools

I've never seen a hand tool rated over about 15 cfm at 90 that a non-pro would need. I've got a nice 25 gal craftsman on the off site storage program. (my friend can't keep it at his apartment, his wife has to much junk so we just work here) It will change about 8 car tires unplugged with my fairly high output Impact gun. its rated at about 4 cfm and the impact pulls 6-7 doesn't complain but the duty cycle on impacts and rachets isn't high; now air drills, sanders, and fullsize spray equip. you need less portable sizes.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Within the last year, I purchased a Porter Cable, 25 gallon-horozontal, oil pump (for longevity), 150PSI (wired 110 volts) air compressor. Its an excellent compressor, not cheap although I use it about daily for big and small jobs... I also have a small PC pancake portable compressor, works good but it doesn't take long at all to empty the limited tank. The bigger the tank you can get/fit, the better IMHO.

I had replace my Craftsman (previously made by Devbliss) same size, slightly lower PSI rating as the tank began rusting out after 30 years on the bottom. I'd weld (braze) one spot (the factory welds were fine, the steel adjacent to the welds was rusting/thinning) and another would open up. Did that about a dozen times and then sprung for the PC.

The oil filled pump will last longer is a little quieter but will last considerably longer with an occasional oil change...

Last edited: