Ahh, no problems!

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
So, as part of this year's maintenance routine, I decided to check the condition of the steering head bearings in my 2007.

From some of the pictures I have seen, I was expecting to find a rusted, pitted mess. To my surprise, both bearings and races were in excellent condition with no water contamination, excessive wear, or damage.

So, after a quick cleaning in some kerosene, I repacked both bearings, retorqued the steering head to spec, and everything moves silky smooth :)

I know a lot of people swear by the All Balls upgrade, but I suppose my logic is this - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A simple disassembly, cleaning, and repacking can make the OEM bearings last quite awhile.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious to know if the naked bikes suffer water contamination more in those areas as apposed to faired versions...???

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Curious to know if the naked bikes suffer water contamination more in those areas as apposed to faired versions...???

Unless those bikes are left outside in the weather uncovered I would think it would just be a coincidence, my bike always stays dry in that area...even riding in the rain. But then again mine is far from a stock naked setup lol

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, I just pulled the swing arm off my 09. After reading all the stories I'd thought I'd check it out....No rust or water intrusion there or in the wheel bearings. I went ahead and wiped, re-lubed and torqued to spec.

All is rainbows and unicorns, and the universe is in alignment:BLAA:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Amen to that.
I had the bike apart this winter and was expecting after 6 years and 19k miles there would be something unpleasant for steering head bearings. Not so.

I cleaned, greased and put it back together. This maintenance was much easier than I thought it would be.

While I had it apart I also changed the fork oil.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I think it may have to do with washing especially people that use pressure washers.

I repacked mine a few months ago and they looked almost new. I was thinking it was because I only had it two seasons with 14k miles. I only washed it two times but I do wipe it all down after every ride and wax it a lot.