Agonizing choice of touring windscreens: GIVI ??

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha_FZ8_Fazer_01.jpg

You can see the FZ8 has a hole in the windscreen, of sorts.....

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay,so I just re-installed my Givi tall windscreen after riding with the stock windscreen installed for the past 2 weeks. The Givi definately takes the windblast off my body, but the wind blast is a lot louder around my helmet than with the stock screen installed...at freeway speed.(between 70 mph and 100 mph, but mostly @ 80 mph) Shoulda brought my earplugs!

I cut the holes in my stock windscreen because the windblasts from side to side were pretty bad. When I cut the hole in the windscreen all that went away. I will be trying a wind deflector on the back side to bring the air right along the backside of the windscreen to push the air up and over. Like an internal Laminar lip. At first I will tape it in place, but if it works I will glue it in.

The hole in the stock touring windscreen did not work as well. The air is a little bit more stable, but still has ear piercing pressure. Even with earplugs. I hope I did not cut it for nothing. I will keep working on it. Changing out the screens on a 05 is pretty easy, about 3 minutes.

As for cutting the hole in the screen, I used a forestener bit to cut the radiuses, then used a saber saw to make the straight cuts (use tape on the bottom of the saber saw to minimize the scratching). Once done with that, just sand to 800 grit. Works out pretty well.

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha_FZ8_Fazer_01.jpg

You can see the FZ8 has a hole in the windscreen, of sorts.....

I like the look of that shape. The emblem in the center is a nice touch, hmmm. Maybe a bigger hole on the touring screen is in order. I think I will copy this look and see what happens to the wind on my ears.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of that shape. The emblem in the center is a nice touch, hmmm. Maybe a bigger hole on the touring screen is in order. I think I will copy this look and see what happens to the wind on my ears.

looks like you need to remove the entire front, pointy, nose section.
give your screen a rhinoplasty, stat!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 07 and I am gonna go with the Givi because it gives a liilte coverage on the grips. Only problem is they have been on backorder for 3 months now! They say July so we shall see. :confused: Cal-sci wont make one for you?

mine shipped today. :cheer:
you might want to contact these folks
HelmetHead Cycle Motorcycle Accessories
and see if they can send the screen you want sooner.

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
So I cut the touring screen up a little bit more. Make the cut more like the Fazer 8.
IMG_4189.jpg

I then put a piece of cardboard behind the screen making a duct that the air could be directed to the upper edge. My thinking was that the air coming from the hole could be directed up to the lip and push the air up and over my head. It definetly pushed the air up a little bit but still had the light head pounding. I can follow the air coming off of the screen with my hand and feel the air arc up higher. I was hoping that this whole idea would act like an internal Laminar lip, not so much. I ripped off the cardboard during the ride to see what it was like without the duct. This was taped up after the ride so it was kind of rough.
IMG_4186.jpg
IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

I thought since I was messing around with the touring screen, I made a make shift laminar lip. This kept all the wind off of me with a minor noise in my ears. This is probably the best thing I have found but the look is not so good.
IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4193.jpg

So I need to try the double bubble mock up on the standard windscreen. Thinking that might push it around me instead of up and over. There might not be an answer for this wind popping issue in the ears, but I want to try everything I can think of. One of these days I will try without a screen all together and compare the noise.