Ack! Bolt just spins! Help!!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok....this sucks.
I'm trying to put a topcase rack on my bike.
The spacers and washers are aluminum and the bolt and threads are SS.
At least, I hope the threads are SS.
I'm trying to remove the bolt (to do another configuration) but the bolt keeps spinning in place.
I think on the way down (tightening), the threads on the bolt picked up some aluminum and now the gaps between the threads are covered.
The threads the bolt goes into are SS (I hope) and so I don't think I stripped them. I'm pretty sure I didn't cross thread anything and I definitely didn't over torque the bolt.
As I was tightening down, the bolt got hard to turn. I used a bit more strength and got it to go down. That's when it probably picked up some aluminum.
^^^That's my theory, at least.....
How do I get this bolt out????

OH GOD!!!!!
HELP!!!!:eek:

Beer goes to the winning (correct) answer.
This sucks so bad......

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I know what you've gotten the bolt in but I'm not sure from the picture.

Check this pictorial out from Ron Ayers.com Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2006>FZS6V FZ6>FRAME

Is the bolt passing through the part marked #41 and into the subframe?
No dude!
I sold my fz6! I have a bmw f800gs now!!
But I looked at the microfiche. It's the equivalent to that. It's the subframe.
I think the threads the bolt are going into are SS or brass.

I'm pretty sure if I wiggle the bolt enough while spinning it may come free.
Or, I need to really press down while spinning (left).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No dude!
I sold my fz6! I have a bmw f800gs now!!
But I looked at the microfiche. It's the equivalent to that. It's the subframe.
I think the threads the bolt are going into are SS or brass.

I'm pretty sure if I wiggle the bolt enough while spinning it may come free.
Or, I need to really press down while spinning (left).

Sorry I missed that it wasn't the FZ6.
If the threads are in the aluminum itself you may have very well stripped the threads out. If that's what happened don't push the bolt. Pull the bolt while rotating counterclockwise. Put some Vise Grips on it, pull and turn. It may come out. It could be a threaded insert Sort of like a rivet with threads in the sub frame. If it is you may have pushed the leading edge of the bolt's shoulder into the insert and now when you turn it the insert is spinning in it's mounting hole. If it's the insert I'm imagining it to be you might be able to get to the under side of it and using a center punch tap the rolled edge in enough places that the edge gets dimpled to the metal it's mounted in and will hold enough for you to spin the bolt out.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the microfiche. The holes are the topmost/right-most holes.
The holes have an insert that look like #3 in the box (scroll to the right).
When I use vice grips, etc. the bolt and that #3 insert just spin.
So the insert and bolt spin, that's the problem. I'm not sure what this means as far as threads, but now I think I need to start removing pieces until I can get some vice grips on the #3 insert.

MicroImage.aspx

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
oh wait...i cant remove the tail assembly. you have to pull it out, instead of lifting up....i guess i cant get some pliers on the insert......:(
the bolt is in #6 here:
MicroImage.aspx

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you may be able to slide the rear light unit out, it has two bolts holding it under the seat, then it "looks" like it can be slid out to the rear of the bike, hopefully then you can get to the sub frame from underneath.

Worth signing up to UKGSer  ::::  For BMW GS Enthusiasts you may be able to get some help there.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the microfiche. The holes are the topmost/right-most holes.
The holes have an insert that look like #3 in the box (scroll to the right).
When I use vice grips, etc. the bolt and that #3 insert just spin.
So the insert and bolt spin, that's the problem. I'm not sure what this means as far as threads, but now I think I need to start removing pieces until I can get some vice grips on the #3 insert.

MicroImage.aspx

That's exactly what I was thinking and described. A threaded rivet! It looks like it's in a tough spot. #3 is an insert into the hole in that square channel. It looks like that part of the sub frame may be surrounded by the tail section. Sunny Beach Man!!!! Try an impact wrench while applying upward pressure. Good thing is, you should be able replace that insert easier than if you had a welded in, threaded aluminum insert.
Impact with upward tension. The heat from doing this may seize the bottom expansion of the rivet nut to the sub frame enough to get the bolt out. If you can accomplish this you can then take the tail section off and repair/ replace the rivet nut.
Also...Don't let anyone ever tell you different....a few well placed curse words help....:rof:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
ok...i got a dremel and chopped of the top part of the bolt.
out came the spacers, etc. that the bolt was through.
i'm going to carefully make another cut so i can take off the plastic assembly.
right now the bolt is in the way.
hopefully i can make a short enough cut to flex the plastic up and over the left over nub. that will give me full access. i dont want to start cutting up the plastic, so i'm going to find a large washer to add some protection as i cut.
it looks like the threaded rivet tore itself into two pieces: the threaded part and the collar.

sucks. what i wouldn't give for my fz6 right now. lol. j/k.:spank:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
The part is called a rivnut. Look it up. On the fz6 it would have been a welded steel nut instead of this fancy thing.
Anyways, I got it out: I had to pry up the plastic and cut the bolt from underneath (between the frame and the plastic).

photo6.JPG

The plastic is slightly marred from me poking around, but it looks brand new from 10 feet away......
photo5.JPG

Having a Dremel kicks so much azz!!
I'll stop buggin you folks about it now....

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The part is called a rivnut. Look it up. On the fz6 it would have been a welded steel nut instead of this fancy thing.
Anyways, I got it out: I had to pry up the plastic and cut the bolt from underneath (between the frame and the plastic).

The plastic is slightly marred from me poking around, but it looks brand new from 10 feet away......

Having a Dremel kicks so much azz!!
I'll stop buggin you folks about it now....

I also know it as a rivnut but didn't know if that was a trade name or not so didn't call it that. Good job!!!! :rockon:

Remember, a rivnut can be pretty easily changed out! :D

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha I don't know who won. There will be plenty of beer Thursday for March Madness, though! :iconbeer:
Why would they put a rivnut there? Seems kinda dumb. Over at ukgser there is someone else with a similar problem.

Thx for helping me out. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha I don't know who won. There will be plenty of beer Thursday for March Madness, though! :iconbeer:
Why would they put a rivnut there? Seems kinda dumb. Over at ukgser there is someone else with a similar problem.

Thx for helping me out. :thumbup:

Actually the rivnut is probably just right for the application. If it was a welded insert you would have more of a problem if the threads got boogered. There are no great forces there so there is no need for the grade bolt used for heavier applications. Just have to pay attention to torquing. I don't have a scale reference but that bolt looks pretty heavy duty. Put a new one in and by the way you don't need the special tool for that. You should be able to spin a nut up the bolt, insert the bolt through all the rivnut thread and tighten the nut down while holding the head of the bolt. This will expand the new rivnut in it's new home...You'll probably have to remove the plastic tail cover...

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually the rivnut is probably just right for the application. If it was a welded insert you would have more of a problem if the threads got boogered. There are no great forces there so there is no need for the grade bolt used for heavier applications. Just have to pay attention to torquing. I don't have a scale reference but that bolt looks pretty heavy duty. Put a new one in and by the way you don't need the special tool for that. You should be able to spin a nut up the bolt, insert the bolt through all the rivnut thread and tighten the nut down while holding the head of the bolt. This will expand the new rivnut in it's new home...You'll probably have to remove the plastic tail cover...

oh god did i ever remove plastic!
it's all over the garage!

ok....maybe i should get a new rivnut.
how do i put it on?
i can't access the bottom of the bolt to put a nut on.
why? because the plastic is in the way.
the bolt goes through the plastic.
catch-22.
any ideas?

edit: found this http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/rivnuts.htm

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
My nightmare is finally over. What a pita it was to replace the rivnut!
Completely my fault.....I think I cross-threaded a bolt for my top rack plate.
I tried to back the SS bolt out and the rivnut began turning in the frame. It had sheared off into two pieces.

I had to take the plastic off the tail section and then dremel through a stainless steel bolt! Sparks were flying! That dremel is actually pretty awesome!
I wanted to replace the rivnut, but I couldn't find them anywhere! There were some at Maryland Metric, but they wanted me to buy 500 of them.
I ordered a few from the UK.....
I couple of other people (online) had the same nightmare, so I'm not the only dummy.

Anyways, I finally got my toprack installed.
That's a modified pelican case. It even has an organizer velcroed inside of it. Very handy while touring!!
The square shape makes the USABLE space much greater than the contoured cases, like the givis.
photo4.JPG

photo5.JPG

photo6.JPG

This has nothing to do with a FZ6.....but whatever.....I felt better knowing you folks could help me out!!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job! What a good looking bike! Was looking at one at the BMW shop a few weeks ago...