ABS failed today (cage)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
It wasn't even raining but the road was a bit wet and clumsily braked too late for a red light. It was uphill so the front tires didn't have much weight on them and the car slid forward in a straight line.

My beater is a '97 Plymouth Neon that is supposed to have ABS. No ABS idiot light on the dash and felt no pulsing from the pedal.

I'll be starting with cleaning the wheel speed sensors and resetting the computer. Glad I didn't cause an accident. Stupid cager! :disapprove:

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Post a pic of your master cylinder if the ABS is inoperable it should have the ABS light on!

Reason I say post a pic of your master cylinder becuase if the junction box is missing with all the syliniods and computer for the ABS then it will not have a ABS light come on!

I did not think any of the neons were still on the road esp a first gen neon lol!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Also key on the ignition and see if the ABS light comes on with the rest of the lights you know part of the system/ light check everytime you start your car!

Its possible it has a bad wheel speed sensor and a previous owner did not want to fix it and just removed the light bulb for the light as a quick easy hide to the problem seen that many times in my years as a mechanic!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Also key on the ignition and see if the ABS light comes on with the rest of the lights you know part of the system/ light check everytime you start your car!

Its possible it has a bad wheel speed sensor and a previous owner did not want to fix it and just removed the light bulb for the light as a quick easy hide to the problem seen that many times in my years as a mechanic!

Good call. Just checked and the ABS light does NOT even flash on when I start it up.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The plot thickens.. the 40A fuse for the ABS is missing and the receiving contact is missing on one side! (upper center of pic)

ikdgNYvKrXbio.JPG

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Well now you know!

On a side note no matter the situation you should never rely on electronic systems to save your life esp ABS I always go find a empty parking lot and practice panic stops or quick turn situations!

Being able to control your vehicle in a emergency situation is cruical!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ I agree. I could probably stop shorter in my old gran Torino because I don't rely on anything to save me. ABS is really overrated.

Why would not not just run it? How fast where you actually going? The red light system on a delay, best I can tell after a light turns red it gives about 2-3 seconds before the other light will actually turn green. Of course I've had people lock them up on a yellow and almost cause an accident. They get cut off with a giant middle finger.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The plot thickens.. the 40A fuse for the ABS is missing and the receiving contact is missing on one side! (upper center of pic)

ikdgNYvKrXbio.JPG

Bet the backside of that fuse box cover looks kinda like this.

13: 15A ABS (if equipped) not to mention the giant ABS pump tha runs off your master cylinder.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ I agree. I could probably stop shorter in my old gran Torino because I don't rely on anything to save me. ABS is really overrated.

I agree, ABS is really overrated and was designed to aid the 90% (my opinion) of drivers on the the road that do not understand car, excuse me cage control. Are the rear brakes discs or drums, it does not matter too much because there is not that much mass over the rear wheels. But the reason I ask is when is the last time you inspected your brakes and checked the master cylinder fluid level. If both are good, I would bleed the brakes and you will be surprised what a difference it can make. When braking normal, the rears should do most of the work. ;)

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, ABS is really overrated and was designed to aid the 90% (my opinion) of drivers on the the road that do not understand car, excuse me cage control. Are the rear brakes discs or drums, it does not matter too much because there is not that much mass over the rear wheels. But the reason I ask is when is the last time you inspected your brakes and checked the master cylinder fluid level. If both are good, I would bleed the brakes and you will be surprised what a difference it can make. When braking normal, the rears should do most of the work. ;)

Not with the proportioning valves they put in the cars in those years I have come across so many cars that the back brakes were completely trashed gone non exsistent and the owner had no clue! Even after I replaced them they still could not tell a difference! I think they have them split like 90front 10rear lol

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
On the newer say 05 and up cars I have noticed more even brake wear but they were also ABS equiped!

But anything older you go through 3 sets of brake pads before even touching the back brakes and thats just to check them most likely wont have to replace them unless they rode with the parking brake on or use there parking brake!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually the back brakes are only good for e braking. True shoes don't wear out as fast. The neon probably has drum rears, it wasn't that special lol.