ABS brakes

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
In the US the insurance companies have been asking the government to mandate ABS brakes on motorcycles. The American Motorcycle Association (AMA) has been collecting information and supporting testing to determine what position they should take. Last summer, I, along with a few folks from the AMA, and a couple of chief Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) instructors were invited to Robert Bosch testing grounds just outside of Detroit to participate in a demonstration. Bosch developed the ABS systems that several of the manufacturers have in production today. We had access to the BMW 1000 (wth traction control), BMW 800, a Can-Am Spyder (with traction control and tip over control also developed by Bosch), and a Buell Ulyses with outriggers and an on\off switch for the ABS. I must say this was an eye-opening experience. With the Buell we drove down a lane of ceramic tiles flooded with water at about 45 mph. The first run was with the ABS turned off. We were asked to come to a brisk stop. Almost as soon as you touched the brakes on the very slippery surface the Buell would fall over onto the outriggers. Then, we would repeat the run with the ABS turned on and the bike came to a near perfect quick stop without anything weird happening or anything that required any additional inputs or thought. There is absolutely no way that I could apply the brakes without ABS to the degree that I could with the ABS turned on without locking up the front. We also did the same exercise in the dirt\gravel. In slippery conditions I would be very surprised that anyone can stop in as short of a distance without ABS as they could with ABS. In dry conditions I think a skilled rider could possibly come pretty close. I am a firm believer that ABS definitely helps in less than perfect conditions. You are far less concerned over traction when agressively braking.
The other cool thing we were able to experience was the Spyder's anti-tip over control. I could turn the handlebars full lock and pin the throttle and the traction control and anti-tip over work harmoniously to prevent the inside wheel from coming off the ground. Pretty cool stuff!
BTW, the AMA had an article in their magazine, American Motorcyclist, last September with pictures, interviews, etc. of our visit to Robert Bosch in case anyone keeps old issues.
My $.02. :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the US the insurance companies have been asking the government to mandate ABS brakes on motorcycles. The American Motorcycle Association (AMA) has been collecting information and supporting testing to determine what position they should take. Last summer, I, along with a few folks from the AMA, and a couple of chief Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) instructors were invited to Robert Bosch testing grounds just outside of Detroit to participate in a demonstration. Bosch developed the ABS systems that several of the manufacturers have in production today. We had access to the BMW 1000 (wth traction control), BMW 800, a Can-Am Spyder (with traction control and tip over control also developed by Bosch), and a Buell Ulyses with outriggers and an on\off switch for the ABS. I must say this was an eye-opening experience. With the Buell we drove down a lane of ceramic tiles flooded with water at about 45 mph. The first run was with the ABS turned off. We were asked to come to a brisk stop. Almost as soon as you touched the brakes on the very slippery surface the Buell would fall over onto the outriggers. Then, we would repeat the run with the ABS turned on and the bike came to a near perfect quick stop without anything weird happening or anything that required any additional inputs or thought. There is absolutely no way that I could apply the brakes without ABS to the degree that I could with the ABS turned on without locking up the front. We also did the same exercise in the dirt\gravel. In slippery conditions I would be very surprised that anyone can stop in as short of a distance without ABS as they could with ABS. In dry conditions I think a skilled rider could possibly come pretty close. I am a firm believer that ABS definitely helps in less than perfect conditions. You are far less concerned over traction when agressively braking.
The other cool thing we were able to experience was the Spyder's anti-tip over control. I could turn the handlebars full lock and pin the throttle and the traction control and anti-tip over work harmoniously to prevent the inside wheel from coming off the ground. Pretty cool stuff!
BTW, the AMA had an article in their magazine, American Motorcyclist, last September with pictures, interviews, etc. of our visit to Robert Bosch in case anyone keeps old issues.

Bosch also developed the anti lowside control for the new KTM Adventure 1190R.

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

as a rider you should be able to feel the slick surfaces before applying the breaks and know to avoid the slick sh1t. also abs is unnerving and when you grow accustomed to it it weakens your skills. personally i dont like how it feels and unless they make drastic improvements to the linked systems ive used. i will disable them on any future bike that has it.