About to buy an fz6 HELP!

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, 3 options.

2007 excellent condition female owned used for touring with family only(leaning towards) 3500 19k miles willing to throw in bike cover and med hjc mens helm(i dont need) but for a passenger maybe?

2006 good condition 22 male who wants something more(thinking he used and abused?) 3000 11k miles

2005 good condition younger male owned cant say anything seemed like a nice guy but cracked fairing from a drop and dent in gas can. 2500 possibly less 13k miles

all three are basically stock

Basically i know all there is to know from reading about the fz6 as far as how the 07 got some upgrades from 05,06 thus im leaning towards the 07 because dash, brakes, swing arm, helmet lock, FI map seem to be worth the extra money.

is it better to get the 05 and have 1000 + to throw at her

or get the 06 put an r6 swing arm and brakes? im just so conflicted and need some points of view from people with experience

or get the 07 for 3500 and just be happy and gradually mod

I'm really looking for people to back me up on the 07 being the best option

(basic mechanic skills and always willing to get dirty)

I havn't ridden any of them as they are all 400ish miles away

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I'd go with the 06 or 07, but other people here might suggest otherwise.

My reasoning is simply:
-Newest age wise
-S2 version, which has improvements (Dash, brakes, swingarm, fueling, front fairings, etc)

I'd question the male rider and see why he's looking for an upgrade. It's sensible however that he could be interested in getting a more powerful bike (as fun as 97HP is, there's always the possibility of having more). If you're not 100% on the 06, shoot for the 07.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw that but i only have 4100 to spend, register and insurance included =\

+IMO

I believe a bike that's been used and maintained is in much better shape than one that's been sitting.

Kansas is even further I'm on the west slope namely Montrose

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Pricewise, they all seem slightly higher than last years market. Maybe that is a good thing and is saying something about the FZ6's continued draw/stability?

I'd go with the '07 - offer them $3000, and see if you can get them to bite, wouldn't go higher than $3200 for it. Don't be afraid of 19k on the Odo, that's trivial if maintenance on these bikes is done.

GL on your selection and purchase - a in-person visit of the 07 would be in my book, but does sound like the best one of them all. A well ridden, maintained bike is better than one with low mileage - and no love given to it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06 and love it but I would rather have a 2007 model. Mileage difference between these 3 bikes should not be a factor, how they were treated is a factor! Any 22 year old dude who is selling an FZ6 to buy something bigger has beat the crap out of that bike! Probably bounces off the limiter on every ride. A bike used for touring with 19K miles would be like a new bike. My 2006 has 25K miles, 95% used for commute and touring and my bike runs as good as it did new.

Reaction score
Visit site
Having chanced on the 2007 S2 model and found it to be an amazing little bike (little being positive - even for a 12 stone/5 foot 8 guy like myself it feels very light and inspires confidence at low speeds as well as when cranking up the throttle) I wouldn't consider any other model of the FZ6.

Just to back what others have said, mine arrived with 28K miles on the clock with flawless service history and has never given me reason to doubt it some 2,000+ miles later. Valve clearance just over a week ago revealed nothing had moved and she's good for another 28K or so before the next one. I have Pilot Road 3 set on there and the handling is just incredible, never ridden anything like it.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Pricewise, they all seem slightly higher than last years market. Maybe that is a good thing and is saying something about the FZ6's continued draw/stability?

I'd go with the '07 - offer them $3000, and see if you can get them to bite, wouldn't go higher than $3200 for it. Don't be afraid of 19k on the Odo, that's trivial if maintenance on these bikes is done.

GL on your selection and purchase - a in-person visit of the 07 would be in my book, but does sound like the best one of them all. A well ridden, maintained bike is better than one with low mileage - and no love given to it.

Already tried started the negotiation with 3300 and she said she was firm at 3500 but will throw in the helmet, cover, oil and filter lol. i've just been looking for a clean 07 i can mod to my likings for 6 months and finally i found one KBB is 3600 so 3500s not terrible if its as clean as she says apparently no scratches :cheer:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Already tried started the negotiation with 3300 and she said she was firm at 3500 but will throw in the helmet, cover, oil and filter lol. i've just been looking for a clean 07 i can mod to my likings for 6 months and finally i found one KBB is 3600 so 3500s not terrible if its as clean as she says apparently no scratches :cheer:

For the right bike, sometimes you can make an exception. ;)

Similar bikes (clean, even newer, 08, 09) will be seen for $3500 or a little less, with less mileage - but hey, when the right one finds you, sometimes it's worth answering the call, so to speak! $3500 isn't out of the ballpark, just on the higher side - it's all relative to how big the smile is that it gives you. A good cover can be $100+ too so that's a good consideration to have packaged with the bike!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Similar bikes (clean, even newer, 08, 09) will be seen for $3500 or a little less, with less mileage - but hey, when the right one finds you, sometimes it's worth answering the call, so to speak! $3500 isn't out of the ballpark, just on the higher side - it's all relative to how big the smile is that it gives you. A good cover can be $100+ too so that's a good consideration to have packaged with the bike!

++1

Key point - what's right for you vs us. No one wants remorse for paying too much. But if you feel good about it, thats what counts.

Covers... honestly, thin covers that breath may get the bike wet when it rains. However, they also allow it to evaporate daily from sun up to sun down. Sealed leak proof covers TRAP MOISTURE and things get ugly fast even in some shops. We've all been in place that sweat with temperature change, so I'm just saying, look it over. It may be rust ball and have electrical contact issues if under NON-BREATHABLE cover for extended periods.

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site

I've seen them and see them right now 07s for 3k but they are like 800 miles away. going to cost me the 500 in going and getting it

I'm screwed by my location middle of the mountians, plenty of freaking harleys for sale around here tho....

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I see these in the Denver area, not sure what part of Colorado you're in. (Apologies for this being so small, but you should be able to click on it to get it in a readable size)

View attachment 56312

That's what i got to choose from the 04 has a salvaged title so it wasn't considered every time i see an 07 come it its gone within the week and this is first one I've seen in 2 months

FLPicker

Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely be willing to pay a few hundred bucks for a really clean bike that has been well cared for. Good luck making a decision!

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what i got to choose from the 04 has a salvaged title so it wasn't considered every time i see an 07 come it its gone within the week and this is first one I've seen in 2 months

Well there is a reason for this... those in know are aware that the 07 models tend to be the best ones. I got mine at dealer price of £2,500 (literally just got the invoice in to see the price) with first service/valve clearance/new brake pads/tyre fitting time included (well over £1,000 of parts/labour), all I had to do was pay for the crash bars and new tyres plus the excess on my recovered XJ-6 which was in a bit of a state post low side. So far, worth every penny.