A strange noise

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been hearing this strange noise for few days now. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be> Sometimes if I rev up at a certain point it lowers itself down but mostly is always there. thank you for your help.

YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the cam chain tensioner to me. Pull that side cover and have a look, when the tensioner isn't working right the chain can start to eat its way through the guide. Also pull the tensioner itself and check that it smoothly extends and retracts. If your taking things apart its good practice to put a zip tie through the chain and snug it up so you have no chance of it being loose and skipping a tooth... something you dont want to happen without you knowing it.

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the cam chain tensioner to me. Pull that side cover and have a look, when the tensioner isn't working right the chain can start to eat its way through the guide. Also pull the tensioner itself and check that it smoothly extends and retracts. If your taking things apart its good practice to put a zip tie through the chain and snug it up so you have no chance of it being loose and skipping a tooth... something you dont want to happen without you knowing it.

thanks for your reply. Will oil drop off when I'll remove the cover?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for your reply. Will oil drop off when I'll remove the cover?

Nope, I've had it off a couple times, no problems. Make sure you're taking off the almost triangular cover surrounded by allen bolts with the circular thing in the center (for lack of a better way to describe it)... Not another cover

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, I've had it off a couple times, no problems. Make sure you're taking off the almost triangular cover surrounded by allen bolts with the circular thing in the center (for lack of a better way to describe it)... Not another cover

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
so I took the cam chain tensioner off and this is what it looked like. [video=youtube;_f4aCA9zGpo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4aCA9zGpo[/video]
From what I understand it should spring back when i release it but it doesn't. So i suppose it is done and I need a new one. So I did put it back and started the bike.
but the bike didn't start. I went on for 1 sec and then stop. sounded like the cam chain was stuck. So I removed the cover and tried to turn it around but it wouldn't move. I the fiddled with it a bit, looked like there was a skipped tooth stuck there. Back and forth and finally I manage to free the tooth. Started the bike and it worked. the tensioner somehow now doesn't make nay noise but bloody hell I have a clicking noise coming for the other side of the engine now!!!
[video=youtube;qbW_bKSpsoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbW_bKSpsoo[/video]
Did I mess something up while trying to free the cam chain?
:-/

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so I took the cam chain tensioner off and this is what it looked like.
From what I understand it should spring back when i release it but it doesn't. So i suppose it is done and I need a new one. So I did put it back and started the bike.
but the bike didn't start. I went on for 1 sec and then stop. sounded like the cam chain was stuck. So I removed the cover and tried to turn it around but it wouldn't move. I the fiddled with it a bit, looked like there was a skipped tooth stuck there. Back and forth and finally I manage to free the tooth. Started the bike and it worked. the tensioner somehow now doesn't make nay noise but bloody hell I have a clicking noise coming for the other side of the engine now!!!

Did I mess something up while trying to free the cam chain?
:-/

It sounds like you may have a little too much clearance on one of your valves. The cam chain noise probably masked the noise and now that that noise is gone you can hear the other sound. How many mile are on the bike and have you had the valve lash checked? A mechanic's stethoscope will help localize where the sound is coming from.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
If it has skipped a tooth or the tensioner is not working, the clicking sound may be a valve making contact with the top of the piston: - this happened to one of your ex-pat mates here who rides an FZ6 when his tensioner failed.

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
22000 miles and I haven't check the valves yet. I want to get a new bike soon so if I can avoid that expense I gladly do so mbut I need to get rid of the noise. :-/

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
If it has skipped a tooth or the tensioner is not working, the clicking sound may be a valve making contact with the top of the piston: - this happened to one of your ex-pat mates here who rides an FZ6 when his tensioner failed.

so by changing the tensioner with a new one it should be ok. Have you seen the video of my tensioner? it should spring back, am I correct?

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never checked mine, but here's a guide: -

CHECKING THE TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER
1. Check: timing chain tensioner
Cracks/damage: Replace.
2. Check: one-way cam operation
Rough movement _ Replace the timing chain tensioner assembly.
a. Lightly press the timing chain tensioner rod into the timing chain tensioner housing by
hand.
While pressing the timing chain tensioner rod, wind it clockwise with a thin screwdriver 1 until
it stops.
NOTE:
b. Remove the screwdriver and slowly release the timing chain tensioner rod.
c. Make sure that the timing chain tensioner rod comes out of the timing chain tensioner
housing smoothly
. If there is rough movement, replace the timing chain tensioner.
3. Check:
_ cap bolt
_ aluminum washer New
_ gasket New
Damage/wear _ Replace the defective
part(s).

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks, I've already had a look through the Haynes manual. Mine doesn't come out at all. stays in place if you screw it in and in place if you screw it out. looks like the spring may be broken.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
22000 miles and I haven't check the valves yet. I want to get a new bike soon so if I can avoid that expense I gladly do so mbut I need to get rid of the noise. :-/

The valves are easy to check if you're handy with a spanner, just time consuming. I did mine just following the instructions thread on this forum. May take 5-6 hours with a few tea breaks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine doesn't come out at all. stays in place if you screw it in and in place if you screw it out. looks like the spring may be broken.

You need to PITCH THAT TENSIONER as hard and far as you can...

If you haven't already caused additional damage by putting it back in, you WILL..

Plus 1 on post #12, (by Sandy also)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct, you auto tensioner (CCT) is defective and the ENGINE SHOULD NOT BE RAN!

I had mine out at 20,000 mi for valve adj. It snaps back faster than you can say rattlesnake. So, ya, Yours is messed up.

As Cliff pointed out, it was stuck and not properly tensioning the chain (too loose), and now it different so you hear new noises. A stethoscope, a long screwdriver, or even a wood dowel can be used to listen to the engine and pinpoint where the noise is.

I would default to NEW CCT and then listen to the engine.

In another thread I stated that bent valves result in engines that don't idle at the same speed and they'll sputter out the port with the damage. Although yours may be out of time, I doubt it bent a valve (YET).

Meshuggah

Reaction score
Visit site
I've bought a new CCT today (not easy to find in the uk!!) , it should arrive in the next few weeks. I will need the bike to go to work (short distance). Hopefully will solve the problem. To check the valves ( i wouldn't mind doing it myself) I would need a garage but here in London i don't have one :-/

Last edited: