A question of weight ....

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Is there a sticky/thread or can someone point me to where I can learn how to lighten up my FZ6N ? Is there a chart on what parts you can replace and how much they weigh and what weight you can save from changing it ?

Thanks

Russell

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Russell, try using the "search" option at the top of the page.

To save weight, get rid of those heavy stock pipes to start with. I dropped my pillion pegs, stock fender, stock bars and levers. Anything carbon fiber helps.

Nice to see another Perth rider :D Where abouts are you?

BTW :welcome:

Last edited:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Kazza,

North of the River :) How about you ? Also about the search function I was actually wondering what I should put in to search for it has come up with a few things but nothing what I wanted. Also isn't the whole fender thing illegal now with the cops picking up on them ?

Did not think of the handle bars and levers, they really weight that much ?
(And sounds like a cheap mod to do :)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Kazza,

North of the River :) How about you ? Also about the search function I was actually wondering what I should put in to search for it has come up with a few things but nothing what I wanted. Also isn't the whole fender thing illegal now with the cops picking up on them ?

Did not think of the handle bars and levers, they really weight that much ?
(And sounds like a cheap mod to do :)
I'm in the beautiful Chittering Valley :D

Try this link - Bikbiz posted it a while ago.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/30560-how-lose-1-3kg-no-cost.html

I think it's pot luck with fender eliminators. My plate is vertical and clearly visible. I don't think I have too much of a problem. Other FE's I've seen, you can hardly read the plate from behind. That's where you have a problem.

I've just bought Rizoma bars, grips, bar ends and Pazzo levers. The stock bar and levers were heavier than the replacement. cjmoto.com is pretty good for Rizoma - and free world wide delivery - just takes about 7-10 days. My pazzos were on special last month from bikegearwarehouse.com.au - $209. There are other cheaper ones available - try searching moto-777 - I think a few guys have bought them (ebay)

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that will look into it :) That bikegearwarehouse is pretty good :) Just need now to search around and see what parts you can get for the bike and see if I can find some good deals :)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I replaced my crapola BT020s with Pilot pures, and dropped another 2lbs (about 800g) of unsprung weight. Nice :)

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
The heaviest thing on the bike is the rider, - so maybe you should look into shedding some body weight instead of spending a fortune in the futile attempt to lighten the bike itself ......

Just my 2 cents :)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The heaviest thing on the bike is the rider, - so maybe you should look into shedding some body weight instead of spending a fortune in the futile attempt to lighten the bike itself ......

A thread a while back did come to the same conclusion the greatest weight loss is often that from the rider!
Aftermarket exhausts generally do reduce the weight, but you aren't exactly going to be seeing huge gains in power or performance, without a rediculously large amount of investment. Investment probably better spent on more performance on a larger bike if thats what your really after.

I love my aftermarket exhaust, but only because its loud :)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Body weight. This is a ridiculous comment. When someone asks a question about how they can take weight off their bike, how is "lose some weight yourself" a solution? Some of us are content with our weight, and are not going to manipulate it for riding's sake. Also, the lighter you are, the less effect that losing weight becomes.

If someone decides to lose 5kgs, then let them lose 5kg and they can also remove weight from their bike. The net result is greater than 5kg loss.

If someone asks how they can ride faster for free and without learning how to ride better, then losing weight is a possible answer. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh here but I'm tired of seeing this as an answer to a completely different question. And I'm grumpy that I have to get up at 5am tomorrow :)

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest,you're on a hiding to nothing as far as shaving a few ounces off the FZ unless you're racing it.Then its a case of thin fibreglass panels,race tail unit,lose all the lights,magnesium wheels,cases etc,which isn't exactly practical for the road ;)

spend the dough on some bling,stand back and admire..;)

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replys and I asked about the lowering of weight of the bike for better handling. And yes I have read the thread about the weight loss thing but looking at the bike losing weight not me. Also was reading about exhausts and someone asked about the low slung exhaust of the xj6n does anyone know of a system like that for the FZ6?

Thanks

(Oh and I have been looking for wheels however they all seem to be for the sports bikes and not the FZ6)

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple people have mounted stubby R6 exhausts that mount low but it leaves a big ugly hole under the seat where the cans used to be. If you were handy you could probably make a fiberglass piece to replace the round rubber piece that normally surrounds the exhaust with a flat piece that would make it look much better.

This piece:
exhaustcover.jpg

You would also have to figure some other way to mount your license plate and turn signals.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Dropping 1.3kg on my bike took me about 60 seconds and cost zero. Dropping 1.3kg of body weight takes a lot more effort than this.

But the reason I keep arguing here is that there may be people like me, who don't need to lose body weight. Why sacrifice my health when I can drop bike weight (which is permanent!).

And for those of you who believe weight reduction for bikes is a waste of time, go and ride a DRZ400SM around a few corners (around 130kg dry) then tell me you feel the same way. I carved up a mate on his ZX-10 on the tight wind around Mt Hotham last year on one and we're both very close in lap times on the track on similar bikes. 32hp vs 170hp, you do the math.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't lose any bodyweight either, without health issues. It doesn't make it an invalid comment for many.

The point is actively trying to lower the weight on the FZ6 unless your racing it is a total waste of time and the money is better spent elsewhere.
Oh and don't compare different weights on different bikes, thats just retardely stupid, when you show me a 130kg FZ6 modded for a reasonable price, then that will be a valid arguement, comparing different bikes is like comparing apples and oranges, especially when rider skill is the biggest effect on riding and overall speed.
Also I hope your employer doesn't see this post, claiming the only difference between a DRZ400 and a ZX-10 is the rather large difference in weight (since apparently HP* has no effect) and was totally the reason that you could go almost as fast is pretty laughable.

ALOT of riders could lose a bit of body weight, with a little effort AND for free, and it will be a much larger difference than all the mods under the sun (that would cost the sun too).

Its obviously hit a sore spot for you, so man up and get some perspective.