675R vs ZX6R vs GSXR 750

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I haven't been around much but figured I'd post here and see what you all think.

Right now I have a 2009 FZ6 which I bought new. I'm thinking about trading it in soon or selling it to upgrade to either a Triumph Daytona 675R, Kawasaki ZX6R or a Suzuki GSXR 750. The Triumph and Kawasaki would be 2014 models (13ish thousand $$) and the Suzuki is from a private seller, a 2011 with less than 1100 miles for $7,500.

The Triumph and Kawasaki have ABS, the Ninja has TC also. The Suzuki has none of the above.

I just saw the 750, it was raining though, which kinda sucked. It was a lot more comfortable to sit on than I was expecting. The Kawasaki riding position seems to put more weight on the wrists. The local bike dealer is getting the Daytonas in within the next two weeks, so I haven't been able to check that out yet.

My heart says Triumph Daytona, my wallet says 750. All of the bikes seem to be really good and get great reviews. I am stuck and not sure what to do haha.

If I get the Triumph of Kawasaki, I'll most likely be trading the Yamaha in towards one of them. If I get the Suzuki, I'll have two bikes but will list the Yamaha for sale.

Here's a video with all three of them which I found convenient.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihDLu0BRM5w]Oddball Middleweight Sportbike Shootout - YouTube[/ame]

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man - nice short list there!

FWIW, all late-model supersport bikes are all pretty impressive machines. If you were to ask this question 10 years from now (using examples from that time period, relatively speaking), I'd imagine that TC and ABS will be standard-issue OEM stuff. I personally can't wait for ABS to get there, I can live w/o TC since I tend to take it more or less easy on the throttle (and I don't ride in rain if I can help it - fair weather rider over here!).

All of that said, TC and ABS are pretty nice. THAT said, 750 cubes vs. 675/600, and for (practically) half the price ... that seems pretty attractive to me.

Tough choice man - I think you can't go wrong with any of them if the used bike is in decent shape (and assuming you're cool w/ supersport ergonomics, etc.). It's really nice to have a brand-new vehicle, as you know from owning your new '09 Fizzer. We bought a new car for my wife many years ago now and she swears she'll never go back to buying used again, LOL!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Great choices. If you go zx6r it had better be the 636 :) all three are high power (closer to liter bike) for a small frame (600). Can't go wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned, all good choices and ditto on any of the modern 600's are more than adequate.

Question is, what kind of riding will you be doing with it? Street mostly? Track days? Both?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
the 750 is not in the same class as the other 2 bikes.

675 is a 3cyl. so the extra capacity keeps it in the 600 class.

636 is the strongest 600 but still not a competitor to the 750.

plus if you can get a used 750 in good nick.... why not. i personally see no need for a liter SS bike, the 750 is the perfect size imho.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All of that said, TC and ABS are pretty nice. THAT said, 750 cubes vs. 675/600, and for (practically) half the price ... that seems pretty attractive to me.

Tough choice man - I think you can't go wrong with any of them if the used bike is in decent shape (and assuming you're cool w/ supersport ergonomics, etc.). It's really nice to have a brand-new vehicle, as you know from owning your new '09 Fizzer. We bought a new car for my wife many years ago now and she swears she'll never go back to buying used again, LOL!

Yea, ABS is a definite plus that the Suzuki has, and so is being brand-new. The 750 looked really well taken care of when I saw it and was actually a lot more comfortable to sit on than I was expected. Granted, I didn't sit on it that long.

Great choices. If you go zx6r it had better be the 636 :) all three are high power (closer to liter bike) for a small frame (600). Can't go wrong.

It would be the 636 but I think I've kinda narrowed it down between the Triumph or the Suzuki.

Question is, what kind of riding will you be doing with it? Street mostly? Track days? Both?

Mostly street, but I live 15 min from Laguna Seca and definitely want to try to get some track time before I move. From reviews, it seems the Triumph would shine on the track yet is still good on the road, but maybe the Suzuki is better on the road.

In the infamous words of DHT - "Listen to your heart."

heh That has merit. The problem is, it's heart vs. wallet at this point. :rolleyes:

the 750 is not in the same class as the other 2 bikes.

675 is a 3cyl. so the extra capacity keeps it in the 600 class.

636 is the strongest 600 but still not a competitor to the 750.

plus if you can get a used 750 in good nick.... why not. i personally see no need for a liter SS bike, the 750 is the perfect size imho.

Yea, I'm not looking to go from a FZ6 right to a SS liter bike. The only other bike I've owned was a 2007 FZ6. :D

While the 636 seems like a great overall package, it just doesn't get me like the 675R, that Triumph is sexy!

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's how I'm looking at it right now:

2014 Triumph Daytona 675R (405.8 lbs)
Pros:
-Fully adjustable Ohlins suspension front and rear
-Brembos
-ABS
-Quickshifter
-Lightest of the three
-Largest fuel capacity by .1 gal over ZX6R, .2 over 750
-Sexy as hell
-24 month warranty
-Reviews say that the triple is tough to beat and the chassis is very well sorted.
-Not as common

Cons:
-Most expensive - $13,499 (they offer a military discount but not sure how much that is)
-Haven't sat on it while actually considering purchasing one. Sat on one before but was just for a few seconds while walking around looking at all the bikes on display. (It will be about a week until they come in.)
-Maintenance/parts a little more expensive than the other two

2014 Kawasaki ZX6R (427.8 lbs)
Pros:
-Brought back the 636cc engine
-ABS
-TC
-Adjustable Showa SFF-BP front and adjustable rear
-12 month warranty
-Better top end than Triumph

Cons:
-$11,699 (they offer a military discount but not sure how much that is)
-Felt less comfortable than the Suzuki
-Not as good as Triumph before top end
-Heaviest of the three
-Prefer the Triumph
-Highest seat height (32.7") (675R is 32.6")
-Pretty common to see around

2011 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (418.8 lbs)
Pros:
-Powerband
-Brembo front end
-Fully adjustable Showa BPF up front and adjustable rear
-Cheapest - $7,500
-Lowest seat height (31.9")
-I could use the money I save to buy a new set of tires for my car so I can finally throw on my new wheels without my wallet hating me even more.

Cons:
-Used, but only 1085 miles and looks like it's in great shape.
-No ABS
-No warranty
-As of right now, previous owner has not addressed front master brake cylinder recall (2004-2013, all GSX-Rs require it to be replaced)
-Kinda prefer the Triumph, but the price makes it tempting.
-Pretty common to see around

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
750 hands down. Unless you are loaded (money wise) don't buy new as you take a big hit on resale.

Get the 750 and learn to love it OR if there is no love you can sell it without losing thousands.

Great reviews on the 750, if I was able hump a turtle I'd look real hard at the 750 but at my age that sport bike posture is out of the question.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude - the Gixxer has less than 1,100 miles, for $7,500?! SOLD! :Sport:

No doubt the others are good choices. See about the discount maybe?

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
750 hands down. Unless you are loaded (money wise) don't buy new as you take a big hit on resale.

Get the 750 and learn to love it OR if there is no love you can sell it without losing thousands.

Great reviews on the 750, if I was able hump a turtle I'd look real hard at the 750 but at my age that sport bike posture is out of the question.

Yea, that is the biggest drawback about the Triumph. The price difference and the depreciation hit.

I did update it again because someone told me, and they were correct, that Triumphs have 24 month warranties now.

Dude - the Gixxer has less than 1,100 miles, for $7,500?! SOLD! :Sport:

No doubt the others are good choices. See about the discount maybe?

I can try to talk the guy down some, it's a private seller (750) and he said the price is firm in the ad. I looked up the KBB and NADA, and 7,500 is under the low end, so I think that is probably why he doesn't want to entertain lower offers. Couldn't hurt to say "here's 7000 right now" but who knows. I'd like him to take care of the recall thing though, he has to do it for the GSXR1000 he has too. The 750 was his wife's bike but she got pregnant shortly after they got it, so the only time it gets used is when he take it out for a little just to start it up every now and then.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The Triumph isn't from Japan. I've read enough horror stories about the quality that I'd pick the Japanese bike first.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the feeling! I always went for the 1 off cage, don't care to be in the mainstream.

If you have any intention of tracking the bike, get the Jap bike cause parts are gonna cost more on the Triumph if it ever goes down.
And all though I'd love to roll up to dad's house and tell him look, its Really is the same guys that made 1968 Bonneville - I'd opt the bike that fits you and your budget.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I meant to inquire about the military discount for the new bikes. Frankly I'd take the 750, myself. That is what I was trying to say. :)

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on the video, I'd be hard pressed not to get the GXR750 as they all were quite comparable and that's a huge savings in terms of the 3 you're looking at. GXR parts are plentiful, so you'd have $$ to mod and spend elsewhere.

That said, if they were all the same price, I'd pick the Triumph just because it's so damn good looking.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden for quite a few miles a 07 zx6r and it has very little low end power, like zero. my Fz outruns it flat out until about 110...
as much as i hate the 750, assuming you dont want to go with a liter, thats where id go.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know the feeling! I always went for the 1 off cage, don't care to be in the mainstream.

If you have any intention of tracking the bike, get the Jap bike cause parts are gonna cost more on the Triumph if it ever goes down.
And all though I'd love to roll up to dad's house and tell him look, its Really is the same guys that made 1968 Bonneville - I'd opt the bike that fits you and your budget.

Well, they all fit within my budget I guess, but the 750 is the most financially responsible. Blah

Sorry, I meant to inquire about the military discount for the new bikes. Frankly I'd take the 750, myself. That is what I was trying to say. :)

Yea, I'm not sure what the actual discount is. It can't be enough to bring them that close together, probably a few hundred bucks off I guess.

Based on the video, I'd be hard pressed not to get the GXR750 as they all were quite comparable and that's a huge savings in terms of the 3 you're looking at. GXR parts are plentiful, so you'd have $$ to mod and spend elsewhere.

That said, if they were all the same price, I'd pick the Triumph just because it's so damn good looking.

Yea, I'm leaning more and more towards the 750.

I have ridden for quite a few miles a 07 zx6r and it has very little low end power, like zero. my Fz outruns it flat out until about 110...
as much as i hate the 750, assuming you dont want to go with a liter, thats where id go.

Well the 07 was a 599cc I believe, the new ones are 636 and are pretty fast. Yea, I'm not looking for a 1000cc superbike right now.

All I'm really waiting for now is to check out the 675R once the dealer gets them in. Unless it floors me with awesomeness, I'm probably going to be picking up the 750 if it's still available by then.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, was at the dealer today, the Triumphs just came in. I think Monday I'll be the owner of two bikes! CAN. NOT. WAIT. :cheer:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Went thru a similar process a little over a year ago. Thought long and hard about the 675, very sweet bike but what tipped me away was long term parts and reliability. I put 44,000 or so on my FZ6 in 4 years so wanted a SS that would last. Bought a 2012 CBR600RR and have not regretted it at all. Best ergo's of any of the 600's from what I've read. Replaced the clipon's with Heil's which raised the hands almost 2", not much but made a real difference - probably older than most of the folks on this forum. Did not get ABS but will if I buy again.

When looking at used bikes there are lots of Suzuki's out there with high mileage which says something about the bikes and their riders - they are ridden a lot and they last.

Whichever you pick it will be a big change from the perspective of the brakes and the suspension but the power is not a lot different. Today I would have to think about the 750 but not interested in a 1,000. Well maybe I could be tempted with a BMW S....