600 Mile Service - Dealer or Self???

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched and didn't really find any threads that directly addressed this.

I'm due for my 600 mile service in about 150 miles, or two weeks. I downloaded the FZ6 Service Manual and out of all of the steps to be performed, the only one I don't know how to do is the Fuel Injection synchronization.

When I bought the bike the salesdude said the 600 mile service was about $175! OUCH! That is a very expensive oil change. I confirmed that price with the service department too.

So I guess the question is, do I do it myself, or pony up to the dealership?

The follow on question is what tools do I need to check the FI Sync, and how difficult is it to do?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Do it your self, the money you save will prob. buy the tools you need and i think the service manual shoulld be clear enough on how to do it.

wait isn't it the throttle body sync? I remeber seeing a thread or two on here how to do it.
I think it was just a vacuum gauge/tester.

In the UK the first service on most cars and bikes is free. All I paid for was the fluids.:thumbup:

I think they used to be free back in the '80's. I remember the dealer telling save it for you 600 mile service and we'll take care of it. Maybe I'm think of a car instead???

In the UK the first service on most cars and bikes is free. All I paid for was the fluids.:thumbup:

Only if you take it to the place you bought it, I had mine delivered from a dealer 200 miles away and just had it serviced locally last week for £95 (£55 of that was labour).

I would have done it myself but its the stamp in the service book that adds value when you come to sell it.

The dealer gave me 20% off the first maintainance service - I ended up coughing up $170. I also did not have all the tools so I figured, I'd let the techs handle it for me.

Luckily where i got mine, the dealer is covering the first 2 years of maintance and any faulty parts. I save my money there by letting them do it and buy the tools they r using so i can do it myself later when my warranty ends.

well then you are a lucky S.O.B. it is going to be about $200 up in my neck of the woods. I will probably handle mine myself.

It is also free in Ireland. We dont pay anything other than the extras that are not included in the normal service. But I bought my new bike in the UK (Northern Ireland) so I had to pay a bit compared to the Republic of Ireland.

That price (170 or 200 dollars) is a RIP OFF!!! Do it yourself or make friends with a mechanic that can give you a stamp in your warrenty book (at least for the first service)

Oil, filters and grease is all that is required for the first service...at most a 30 minute job...and not worth that price your being quoted.

Cheaper to do it yourself. Although I'd start saving for the 6,000 mile service...I would certainly get a garage to do that...after that you can do your own!

I'll make you a deal. I'll help you synch your throttle bodies if you let me use the tool to synch mine.

Fred

Deal! Consider it ordered! Thanks Fred! :D

I'm think of doing the service in about 2 weeks.

I'll pm you as we get closer.

Back