520 Chain Conversion Question

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For all that have converted to a 520 chain/sprocket set-up:

Does the 520 Rear sprocket maintain the outside edge (Green), center-line (Blue), or inside mounting edge (Red) (Photo attached for reference)? Essentially what I am asking is, when you mount a 520 sprocket, which line of the photo is in the same position as the original 530 sprocket. I am fairly certain that an aftermarket sprocket does not have a stand-off or spacer that offsets the center-line: This leads me to believe that the mounting edge would be the same for both a 530 & 520 sprocket.

That's my opinion, we welcome yours :)

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure your correct, about the mounting surface remaining the same on both. Are you concerned with the difference in width between the 530 and the 520, causing a offset between your sprockets? Or a change in the path of the chain?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure your correct, about the mounting surface remaining the same on both. Are you concerned with the difference in width between the 530 and the 520, causing a offset between your sprockets? Or a change in the path of the chain?

Well, my concern/issue is two fold:
First; I am in the process of a ZX6R fork swap which has lead into a ZX6R rear-wheel swap. The rear wheel of the ZX is very close to the same dimensions with regard to the FZ wheel (rim center-line to sprocket mounting face is nearly identical). I just want to be sure my measurements are exact before adjusting the ZX6 wheel spacers.

Secondly; to add to the complication, I am swapping to a 520 chain set (FZ6 16T 520 Vortex Front Sprocket, EK 520 Quadra X-Ring Chain, & a ZX6 46T 520 Vortex Rear Sprocket). So my measurements on the FZ rear wheel are with a "thick" 530 rear sprocket while my measurement on the ZX6 rear wheel are with the "thin" 520 Rear sprocket.

Clear as mud..right?!:confused:

Moral of the story; Just want to have all my ducks in a row before making a big alignment mistake with the ZX6 rear wheel.

Thank You for the Feedback!!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my concern/issue is two fold:
First; I am in the process of a ZX6R fork swap which has lead into a ZX6R rear-wheel swap. The rear wheel of the ZX is very close to the same dimensions with regard to the FZ wheel (rim center-line to sprocket mounting face is nearly identical). I just want to be sure my measurements are exact before adjusting the ZX6 wheel spacers.

Secondly; to add to the complication, I am swapping to a 520 chain set (FZ6 16T 520 Vortex Front Sprocket, EK 520 Quadra X-Ring Chain, & a ZX6 46T 520 Vortex Rear Sprocket). So my measurements on the FZ rear wheel are with a "thick" 530 rear sprocket while my measurement on the ZX6 rear wheel are with the "thin" 520 Rear sprocket.

Clear as mud..right?!:confused:

Moral of the story; Just want to have all my ducks in a row before making a big alignment mistake with the ZX6 rear wheel.

Thank You for the Feedback!!

From my experience, if you pull that rear sprocket off there are no spacers, therefore if you put another sprocket on it bolts up to the same surface, which would suggest, that your red line remains unchanged (of course the front would have to match the rear). This is not from any factual scource, but just from memory (have changed over a few FZ6 sprockets on 3 different FZ6's), and deductive reasoning. Hope it helps:thumbup:.

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I gather, I think as long as your kawi rim is "exactly"(spacers included) the same width as the old fz rim, then you should be ok. :eek: Maybe someone who has done a similar mod can confirm that for ya. Good luck!!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From my experience, if you pull that rear sprocket off there are no spacers, therefore if you put another sprocket on it bolts up to the same surface, which would suggest, that your red line remains unchanged (of course the front would have to match the rear). This is not from any factual scource, but just from memory (have changed over a few FZ6 sprockets on 3 different FZ6's), and deductive reasoning. Hope it helps:thumbup:.

My thoughts exactly; again, with no factual background information :)

They only thing that would throw a wrench in my spokes is that if the 520 sprocket had a "stand-off" machined on the mounting surface. Without having ever held one manufactured for the FZ6, this thread is the only way I would know (Aside from some distanced photos in my searches).

It seems from your response, and others, that the 520 sprocket is flat, without a stand-off, and without spacers.

Thank you!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I gather, I think as long as your kawi rim is "exactly"(spacers included) the same width as the old fz rim, then you should be ok. :eek: Maybe someone who has done a similar mod can confirm that for ya. Good luck!!

Luckily, the critical dimensions(rim/wheel center-line & the distance from the rim center-line to the sprocket mount) are similar enough to not need machining. The overall width (including wheel spacers and caliper mount) is not identical, but that is why I am measuring so I can have a few wheel spacers machined for the swap.

I have done a significant amount of research and have yet to find a swap from a similar wheel Kawasaki to a similar wheel Yamaha. Actually, the only helpful information I have found was a CBR600RR which installed a set of R1 wheels.

Having both the ZX6 and FZ6 wheel in my hands makes the comparison and necessary modifications easier to establish. I will create a thread once I get all the parts and pieces figured out.

And Thank You, I may need the luck!:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They only thing that would throw a wrench in my spokes is that if the 520 sprocket had a "stand-off" machined on the mounting surface. Thank you!

Can't remember any standoff's or peened areas. Was flat as a tack from memory. I'm popping into Wolfman's joint tomorrow morning, and I'll pull one down off the side of his shed and have a look for you.:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You sir..are a gentleman and a scholar; I don't care what Wolfman says! ;)

Thank you again! As soon as I get the rest of my stuff together I will throw up a post.

:thumbup:

No, No1 It's true what Wolfman says about me...lol...every word of it:eek::BLAA:

Glad I could help.:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You sir..are a gentleman and a scholar; I don't care what Wolfman says! ;)

Thank you again! As soon as I get the rest of my stuff together I will throw up a post.

No, No1 It's true what Wolfman says about me...lol...every word of it:eek::BLAA:

Glad I could help.:thumbup:

Lol....Funny thing was, he picked up a Z1000 sprocket first! :D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol....Funny thing was, he picked up a Z1000 sprocket first! :D

Actually I picked that one up second:Flip::BLAA:. It's not my fault your shed wall looks like the armoury at a Ninja training school...lol

I seem to remember it was flat on the back also.....are you sure it was ridged?

Don't suppose we could impose upon you to take another squiz?:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I picked that one up second:Flip::BLAA:. It's not my fault your shed wall looks like the armoury at a Ninja training school...lol

I seem to remember it was flat on the back also.....are you sure it was ridged?

Don't suppose we could impose upon you to take another squiz?:D

Yeah, you are actually correct! My Bad! There is a ridge, but it is at the outside edge of the sprocket, not where it mounts to the rear wheel, rear axle...

I thought it was both on the outside edge, and the inner edge of the sprocket...