4th Gear Whirring

jsalman93

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, so my 2006 FZ6 has been running great since I've gotten it, but I've started to notice more often that my 4th gear sounds different than the other ones. When I shift from 3rd to 4th it makes more of a whirring sound, but stops after going into 5th. I've tried shifting at different revs, but it isn't the shifting that makes the noise, it sounds like it's coming from being in 4th gear.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this or anything. I figured that maybe it's a common thing with the fz6 since I figure we have the same r6 gearbox, but with different ratios and that might cause the noise. Once again, I'm not sure and I'm not an expert. Please help :confused:

xyy81t

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine whines in fourth aswell! I assume its a bearing on its way out as my bike has done 60k miles – shes my daily rider work commute horse though so I’m not worried, if it breaks it breaks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, so my 2006 FZ6 has been running great since I've gotten it, but I've started to notice more often that my 4th gear sounds different than the other ones. When I shift from 3rd to 4th it makes more of a whirring sound, but stops after going into 5th. I've tried shifting at different revs, but it isn't the shifting that makes the noise, it sounds like it's coming from being in 4th gear.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this or anything. I figured that maybe it's a common thing with the fz6 since I figure we have the same r6 gearbox, but with different ratios and that might cause the noise. Once again, I'm not sure and I'm not an expert. Please help :confused:

A very clean and well lubed CHAIN will help keep things much quieter down there. Having the proper adjustment (2" on the CC) seems to be the magic #.

Depending on the mileage on the chain, how the PO (if there was one) maintained the chain (or didn't), will affect the life of the chain.

Check for ANY KINKING, no straightening of the links, as it comes off the front sprocket-its a sure sign of negligence and/or wear. BTW, generally, chain wear, noise/clicking happens very slowly over time.

BTW, mine was worn out at 12,000 miles due to neglence its first 4,500 miles by the PO..

jsalman93

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain wouldn't be the issue, as I've already replaced my chain about 6k miles ago and front and rear sprockets. I also keep it at about 1 3/4" of tension and am religious about chain maintenance.

Also if it was the chain then it would make more of a clinky noise after acceleration or deceleration from the chain tension releasing. This is only in 4th gear at any point in the rev range and under acceleration or deceleration. I think it might be a bearing or something, not sure. Just wondering if this might be a common thing or something. My bike has 28k miles and i plan on taking it another 20k hopefully before buying an Fz07 (if it comes to America hopefully) :)