400% brighter? I don't think so.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I made a video of my new rotating, pulsating, LED tail light.
The manufacturer claims that it's 400% brighter then a regular incandecent light, I think it's not. It may be even less bright then the stock one. What I like better then the stock is the rotating all the time changing directions every 2 seconds and the pulsating constantly when the brakes are activated.
That makes the bike more visible and I like to be seen.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmo11gxIcJI]YouTube - LED rotating light[/ame]

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
get a full LED tail light replacement, Mine is smoked plastic with red LED's and it is still three times brighter than my stock taillight, and it has integrated amber LED turn signals.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think of that.
Where can i find out if it's legal in NY?:confused:

The DMV website for your state should have the motorcycle law "manual". The law books are often strangely worded so it may be difficult to find exactly what you are looking for. I would try Google searching "modulating", "Strobe", and "motorcycle lighting" with "New York Motorcycle Law".

Hope this helps.

Edit: Check out "Emergency Vehicle Lighting" as well. I know the issue in Maine and Connecticut is that flashing lights are only for emergency vehicles (Fire, Police, etc..).

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't waste your time on those worthless bulbs. If you want to attract attention for those Morons who are behind you, get some Hyper Lites!

Hit the search tab if you're not familiar with their product. I along with several other members have them installed on our bikes.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I've tried several of these, none are actually brighter. A big part of the problem is that LEDs themselves at this level can be brighter, but need focusing to actually realize any additional real improvement.

The Clear Alternatives replacement taillight, whether smoke or clear, really is brighter, but to just add to the visibility, I added a 5" focused LED lightbar just below my tag that's wired into the brake light circuit. Picked it up on fleaBay for about $10. Works well. Didn't want to wire it into both the running taillight and the brake light, as I wanted it to be more noticeable when it came on. Too many soccer moms and cell-phone junkies around here. I'm sure you have many of the same there in NYC, or worse.

2 wheels in Brooklyn? You're braver than I am :rockon:

Good luck

PS: As noted above, Hyper Lites are incredible, a little pricey for me at the time, but I'm reconsidering

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
It looks more anoying in the video than what really is.
No no, it is. Trust me. I had this exact bulb for a short time. Not only is it illegal, my riding mates would also get confused by the constant movement of the light. They said it was confusing and distracting. After they said that I took it out as if other bikers are confused, I can't imagine WTF most cages would be thinking. Bad idea.

Get those BMW type brake lights that flash for several seconds then stop when you apply the brake. Those are effective.
I had a 40 LED brake Light plus additional brake light LED pods that also helped with visibilty without being confusing:

http://www.bonemanfz6.com/Mods/mod_ledbrake.htm

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
No no, it is. Trust me. I had this exact bulb for a short time. Not only is it illegal, my riding mates would also get confused by the constant movement of the light. They said it was confusing and distracting. After they said that I took it out as if other bikers are confused, I can't imagine WTF most cages would be thinking. Bad idea.

Get those BMW type brake lights that flash for several seconds then stop when you apply the brake. Those are effective.
I had a 40 LED brake Light plus additional brake light LED pods that also helped with visibilty without being confusing:

Boneman's FZ6 Site - LED Brake Lighting
Yup. I gotta agree with this! A few flashes catches your attention. Constant flashes is just distracted and annoying. Just follow a cyclist with a flashing rear light at night!

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are units out there that will do what you want..

Products

ive seen a few 2009-10 cars with brake flashers as ive been driving/riding around (mainly Jap cars )

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I made a video of my new rotating, pulsating, LED tail light.
The manufacturer claims that it's 400% brighter then a regular incandecent light, I think it's not. It may be even less bright then the stock one. What I like better then the stock is the rotating all the time changing directions every 2 seconds and the pulsating constantly when the brakes are activated.
That makes the bike more visible and I like to be seen.YouTube - LED rotating light

A constant, never ending pulsating light is just a PITA when stuck behind a bike or cage with those installed. :( You should look into some of the other brake light modulators that stop flashing after a few seconds.

I got the Kisan Technologies' TailBlazer, and am very happy with this product. It flashes for 4 seconds in a decellerating speed and then switching to a solid light.

My only negative comment is that I would like a 10-15 seconds delay that prevents the flashing cycle from starting over every time I brake in stop-and-go traffic. Other than that, it works like a charm.