2008 Fz6 S2 mirror problems

Brando73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, has anyone out there had any problems with their mirrors where the reflective material keeps wearing away to leave a grey spek or spot, it looks as if this is behind the glass?

I have taken bike back to dealer 3 times and I am now on my 4th mirror in total and only had bike since October 2008 from new! Dealer said he didn't see this problem alot but had a few come in like this! This is getting silly though as dealer is nearly 40miles away and I ride the bike everyday to commute to work! Both mirrors have been replaced alternatively and now the right side mirror seems to be back to its old tricks where its wearing away.

I am thinking of writing Yamaha UK to express my discontent of this problem. Is it perhaps moisture ort water getting inbetween the glass and reflective material in the mirror?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Brandon

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
my mirrors have the same thing, never bothered complaining really as it happens on alot of mirrors (not just FZ6 or bikes) and i dont really care that much for appearance lol.

Brando73

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah at least I am not only one then! Thought I was having bad luck with the bike as everything else seems to be going on the fritz like my hot grips, but that is another story! Thanks dude!

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, has anyone out there had any problems with their mirrors where the reflective material keeps wearing away to leave a grey spek or spot, it looks as if this is behind the glass?

Yes, mine went on the first winter, looking more like ice crystal patterns spreading from the edges of the mirrors than specks or spots. I could have changed them on warranty then I guess, but not now. Not too fussed as I can still get a good view in them. Would be interested in some good aftermarket jobbies (fairing version) if anyone has any suggestions.

Brando73

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude thats funny, Im from San Diego but live in England with my Fazer! Didn't think the California sun would be doing that to your mirrors! All this rain in England, the bike is already getting rusty in spots!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Just went out and took a good look at my '05's mirrors..... no spotting, or fogging, or discoloration like you describe. Maybe this is a production lot sort of issue, in a more recent year's mfg. Seems like all the complaints center on 2008 models....

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude thats funny, Im from San Diego but live in England with my Fazer! Didn't think the California sun would be doing that to your mirrors! All this rain in England, the bike is already getting rusty in spots!

Yeah! I don't know what causes it, maybe a bad run on the 2008 year with the reflective material. Mine seems to be near the outer edge of the mirror. It's not bad, but it is getting more noticeable as time moves on.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited: