2006 vs 2008 FZ6

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Brand new to the board, first post actually.
I just finished my riding class/certification and am now ready to purchase my bike. I have it down to 2. Both models are the FZ6. One is a 2006 with 871 miles for 3800 and the other is a 2008 with 3K miles for 5K.
My questions to those who are more experienced than myself(everybody lol) is which would you choose? And are there any significant changes in model years from the 2006 model to the 2008 model?
Any input would be greatly appreicated. I do not know much about usage on bikes yet and thouhgt I would put it to the boards for some help.
kaz

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Rob.
Right now I am looking for a commuter to and from work on back roads, no highway riding. Does the hp make that much difference in that type of riding?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd go with the 2008 model FZ6. Despite having more miles, the 2008 is 2 years newer and has 2 years worth of advancements over the 2006 model.

The difference between the speedo/ tachometer from the 2006 to the 2008 is a significant advancement just by itself. The 2008 has an analog tach instead of the hard to read digital readout on the 2006.

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 06 model, and I changed my front sprocket for $20.00 , a BIG difference in the pick up. But I think the 06 has more power, but I love the instrument panel on the 08. I'd go with the 08, and change the sprocket.

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks champ. I figured that might be a positive. I was also concerned about the 06 not being used enough in two-three years and sitting idle. Will that hurt it at all?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Basically they are the same bike with a few exceptions. Motor is the SAME. Fuel injection is changed on the 07+'s, being more smooth and a little less hesitant. New swing arm and brakes on the 07+'s again being much improved. New fairing look and shape 07+. (Yes the 07, 08 and 09 are identical)

Try searching, there should be lots of posts on this topic.

kaz

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys for all the info. I just got back from riding the 06. It looked and rode like it was brand new. The guy also said he would throw in a jacket (brand new) and two helmets for the 3800. I found the clutch/friction zone a little touchy.
Just waiting for the guy with the 08 to get back to me so I can go for the test ride and see wihich one I like more.
All I can say is that it was awesome just riding for the 10 minutes I took it out for a test ride.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Brand new to the board, first post actually.
I just finished my riding class/certification and am now ready to purchase my bike. I have it down to 2. Both models are the FZ6. One is a 2006 with 871 miles for 3800 and the other is a 2008 with 3K miles for 5K.
My questions to those who are more experienced than myself(everybody lol) is which would you choose? And are there any significant changes in model years from the 2006 model to the 2008 model?
Any input would be greatly appreicated. I do not know much about usage on bikes yet and thouhgt I would put it to the boards for some help.
kaz

are these bikes in the charlotte area? if so, both have been on the market for at least a month. the 06 has been on the market longer and he has actually dropped his price about 900 in the last few weeks. based on that (and the prices of the fz6's in the area) i don't know that you could talk him down much more. but you might be able to do something with the 08.

i hate to be this guy but i just have to throw this out there. 100 hp is A LOT for a first bike. i love the fz6. and if you're going to get it i know i won't change your mind. but you need to know that even if some have started off on it, it is not a beginners bike.

regardless... good luck in purchasing your bike. and if it ends up being an fz6 this is a great place for info to help you out.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: Ride Safe and Enjoy whichever one you choose.

Now for my preference, I have the '06, and yes the '07+ have some upgrades, but I like the '06 just fine...and it's a better deal $$$!

The truly sweet thing about the FZ is, whichever one you get, you will be happy, and I almost guarantee that at some point in the not to distant future you will be modding it to make it your own.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I'd get the 08 model. I would try to talk him down to make it a better deal.

Reasons for me to get the 2008: fairing, speedo, and the color

It's the little things.

No matter which one you get, you'll be satisfied with your purchase.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have an 06, and an 07 (same as 08) both ride exactly the same...only differences are intsruments, better brakes on 07+ plus models, new funkier looking swingarm, and detachable footpegs, O2 sensor, and a different seat finish....

:thumbup: