2006 fz6...good deal???

canaan1919

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I was wondering what your thoughts were on a 2006 fz6 ( ive never ridden one). A little background first though. I used to ride a 2006 vfr800.. and i absolutely loved it and honestly if i had a little more cash, i would have completely have overlooked the yamaha. Things i liked about the vfr

- riding position ( more upright than my 04 cbr600 )
- personality of the V4 ( lots of low torque )
- vtec ( 2 motorcycles in one package )
- loved the fact i could ride all day and not get sore

based on that info, how do you think i will like the fz6?
The one im thinking of buying is $3500.Its a 2006. Red in color. 5600 miles. I would rate condition as 9 out of 10. Stock as can be. Comes with 2 hjc helmets which i could probably get $100 for both online, and a joe rocket tail bag. Not too many on the market in my area to compare to. Will the bike depreciate in value with average riding over the next year or two?

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I came from a VFR to the FZ6. Night and day difference. Now keeping in mind that my VFR was a 1998, it was a 5th gen. The engine was absolutely AMAZING in the VFR. Loved everything about it. Good torque, gear driven cams, the exhaust note sounding like a pissed off small block V8. But that bike was heavy, rode like it was heavy. The FZ6 is like losing 100 lbs in a bike, and having more top end power. The VFR's power came on lower in the revs, but kinda fizzled out on top. The exact opposite occurs with the FZ.

I also had fits with the fuel injection on the VFR. That thing was so twitchy it was very annoying and difficult to be a smooth rider. Ive ridden bikes of all kinds and for many years, and I mis-shifted, over-revved, and was the twitchiest I have even been with the throttle.

Also keeping in mind that I went from a VFR that was older with 30k miles to a 2007 FZ6 with only 5k, it was like getting a NEW bike compared to an old one.

I do not at all regret moving to the FZ. Wouldn't go back for a second. Although if I owned a 6th gen VFR it would be one tough decision!

Hope that helped a bit?!

canaan1919

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I loved that bike! That being said... the fz6 is half the price compared to a vfr in the same condition. Everything ive read about the yamaha leads me to believe that in this price range the fz6 is damn hard to beat. Do the numbers add up to being a good deal?

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that every market is different so it's hard for me to say if it's a good deal or not. Mine is an 07, which has a small refresh from the earlier years. They revised the front fairing, updated fuel injection, updates swing arm, and different paint on the engine/frame/swing arm, etc.

I think the price is pretty fair given the miles and condition. Does the seller have the service history? How has it been maintained? Does it need tires? All of those factors should go into thought on the purchase price.

If it were me I would probably offer a few hundred less and see what happens. It's the dead of winter here so not too much sells right now.

Good luck!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
KBB retail value shows the price higher at 3945.. but who pays retail?

2006 Yamaha - Kelley Blue Book

The FZ6's I see are in good supply. I have the '06 and love it but paid 3700 for it 2 years ago with 2800 miles.

Since you are getting a bike that is now 6 years old, I think there is room for price negotiation

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That price is pretty much dead on but I would still offer him 3000 to start with so you have more room for negotiation. But the fz is also kind of like 2 bikes in one a pretty docile commuter bike below 8k and above it's pretty close to a 600cc super sport bike. It's been called the Swiss army knife of bikes, meaning it's a well rounded capable of taking you anywhere and doing anything, I don't have any experience with vfr's so I can't compare the two but I'm sure you will love the fz

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
What I love about the FZ6 is it's a whole lot of motorcycle for not a lot of money. The riding position is very comfortable and the low end makes it easy to cruise around town. You get it over 7k and it comes alive! This thing flies at higher rpm's. I've never ridden a vfr but have always liked the styling and capabilities. My advice is get it you won't be disappointed!

keith w

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with callmegandi above. I bought my 2008 FZ6 with 14K miles in excellent condition for $3,350 in November. My last bike sold year ago was an FJR 1300. The FZ is tame in the low rpms and has good power in the 7-8K and up rpms. I didn't really have to use that many rpms on the FJR and am getting used to this. It has plenty of power, just need to get used to the different powerband. I also would start negotiations lower, but I don't know your local market. Good luck.

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with callmegandi above. I bought my 2008 FZ6 with 14K miles in excellent condition for $3,350 in November. My last bike sold year ago was an FJR 1300. The FZ is tame in the low rpms and has good power in the 7-8K and up rpms. I didn't really have to use that many rpms on the FJR and am getting used to this. It has plenty of power, just need to get used to the different powerband. I also would start negotiations lower, but I don't know your local market. Good luck.

I bought mine about a month ago in TN for $2800. It's a 2008 FZ6 had 9800 miles on it. It had been dropped though. Minor damage. I felt like it was a good deal.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
one of my friends has an 03 vfr800 and after riding it i loved the low end but it did fall on its face at high rpms. like mentioned, it is a night and day difference, the fairings are nice at times but add to the weight. I could definitely feel the extra weight when cornering and especially when breaking.
my 05 fz6 I got in november for 3k with another rear tire and 16kmiles
I think the vfr is more cruiser oriented the the FZ personally
:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:canaan1919
I also like the concept of the VFR and the sound of that motor is so good! But.....the FZ6 is just and awesome combination of engineers and quality for the money. Also there are great things you can do to the FZ6 that can improve it in all the areas yo might like. FZ6 all the way!