1st service question

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Just wondering where you get your bike serviced. Was thinking of taking it back to the dealer were I bought it from (Also received a $20 off voucher as well) but it is quite far and know of at least one company that comes out to you. But should you do it for the first service ?

Thanks

Russ

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
You can come to my dealer, Maastricht - Netherlands.. hurry hurry!

Well.. I don't think it matters where you do your first service. They change fluids, tighten chain, check bike (or atleast they are supposed to haha) and that's about i! I think any half decent dealer can do that!

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
on a new bike, first service, I'd bite the bullet and pay the dealer to
take care of it...after that, do it all myself, less money, more care...

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing that special about the first service that I'd take it to the dealer for that service in paticular.

Go through all the items in the service manual and save yourself some money if you are a DIY type. If you are not the DIY type, find a reputable local shop and save some money.

2wheelie

Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing that special about the first service that I'd take it to the dealer for that service in paticular.

Go through all the items in the service manual and save yourself some money if you are a DIY type. If you are not the DIY type, find a reputable local shop and save some money.

+1
Agree with Maverick

revapi

Reaction score
Visit site
if you dont get it serviced by a dealer and do it yourself you might void the warenty if somthing goes wrong with the bike

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if you dont get it serviced by a dealer and do it yourself you might void the warenty if somthing goes wrong with the bike

As long as the service is done correctly and you can prove it (receipts), its not going to void the warranty.

I've never had a warranty not honored after doing my own first (and all) service... 35 years worth of bikes (I'm 51). Warranty work was done on my current 04 FJR, my old 2004 Goldwing, my old (1985) Honda VT1100, current KLR 250...

If your capable of doing it, do it, then you know its done right...

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
the first service is just like any other, except when it's different,
the bike came out of a crate, got a quick PDI and now you've put the
first few thousand miles on it bumping down the road, there are many
things that can show up after this happens that may never happen again,
your dealer is certainly more familiar with the machine than you are at this
point so if it were me, I'd let them do this one, but to each his own

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For a 1st service i'd go back to the dealer that you bought her off... You have the $20 voucher so you may aswell use it & if its a little distance away then it is a great excuse for a days ride :D

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I just hit 600 miles today and after looking at the manual there was nothing special about what they were going to do at the dealer, other than charge me over $200 to essentially change oil + filter, and adjust/lube chain. That's baby stuff. I changed oil and filter this morning with full synthetic Shell Rotella T-6 and K&N filter, and lubed chain (didn't need adjustment) and then checked all fasteners for tightness (none needed adjustment). Total cost, less than $30 and I know it was done right. Your choice. My experience with Japanese bikes are they are pretty bulletproof if ridden sanely and maintained with timely oil and filter changes.

The only tricky part is getting off the factory filter if it was put on too tight. I had a devil of a time with a previous FJR getting the filter off, but no problem with the FZ6 this morning. Just be sure to have a good filter cap wrench fitting, if it isn't a good fit, or wrong size, and rounds the points off of the filter cartridge you'll have to resort to a strap wrench and there isn't much room down there to fit that type of wrench. That's why I like the K&N aftermarket filter, it has a very convenient 17mm nut attached to the can, the same size as the drain plug. Only one tool needed to do the oil change, a good closed end 17mm wrench. Filter bought through Amazon, the oil at good old Walmart. Simple.

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My advice is to buy the oil and oil filter yourself and do the oil change (asap) then get any dealer to do the rest. This way they really can't justify charging you much at all. It's basically an 'inspection' of your bike; checking everything's still taught and tight. DIY the oil change and you save on oil markup and the labour (they can charge 0.5hr which is maybe $40-ish, plus markups, you could end up paying over $100 for the oil change alone.

I especially hate it when you know your oil capacity is 2.8 litres, and they charge for a 4-litre bottle.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have had problems at most dealerships in Perth, no matter what bike. I'd say this is standard throughout the forum. We do all our own servicing, except for first services and if anything major needs doing. Dealer for first services.

Last major work done to XJR was at North City Motorcycles, Joondalup - warranty though.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys, the dealer principle of the bike place said it will cost between $130-$150AUD which I thought was cheap(Is it?), but was thinking of getting them to put my shock on and change the fork oil as well.

And how did you go with Northside Kazza ? Just went there today, got quoted $50 to put on the rear shock.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys, the dealer principle of the bike place said it will cost between $130-$150AUD which I thought was cheap(Is it?), but was thinking of getting them to put my shock on and change the fork oil as well.

And how did you go with Northside Kazza ? Just went there today, got quoted $50 to put on the rear shock.
They seemed ok. No probs to report.

Both Mike and I bought our bikes from there. We've bought quite a few spares from there too.