1st post everyone

For a kid that is just learning to drive a car on public roads, adding a powerful bike just seems like a bad idea. That's all we're just looking out for yir kids well being. He'll have just as much fun on a smaller bike and he will learn the basics of street riding better. He can always buy a bigger bike later on...

I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of the MSF ridercourse. I started on an FZ6 and still have it 3yrs later and am in no hurry to get rid of her. I highly recommend the course, i'm sure some of the instructors on here will chime in to, and not only for your son but for you both to take it. Having come from a dirtbike background myself, the first part of the introduction to bikes and the clutch was a little boring but the classroom education and suggestions were very helpful.

Besides the insurance discount or the Basic Ridercourse certificate translated directly to me being able to get my motorcycle endorsement in NY. That meant I didn't have to go through the hassle of the DMV road test since I did not have a bike at that time. Some more info on it specifically related to TN. Motorcycle Rider Education Program

investing in knowledge is just as important but not a substitute for proper gear.

I think you're the world's coolest Dad! I don't think my parents know I even ride a motorcycle.

I strongly urge that your son takes the basic rider course. Even though he may know how to ride, he will soon find out that there is a lot of classroom training involved teaching him to utilize more of his mental skills rather than his physical skills. Knowing How, Where and What to look for. You're dealing with Traffic! It will also make him a better driver!

How about a refresher course for you? Father and son combination is a popular one. Consider taking the class with him, I bet you have picked up some bad habits that you might not be aware of that a RC can point out. Personally, I love the mother daughter combo:Flash:

It seems no one on here wants my boy to have a FZ6....

:(

I don't think everyone here wants him NOT to have one, I think we're all aware of what the bike is capable of and we remember what it is like to be 16 years old and have that much speed beneath us.

But, having said that, I'm excited for you and your son. I hope to do the same thing with my children some day.

Personally, I think what you're doing is incredibly smart. Hold on to the reins for a year or so until he can handle it himself, take him on some trips. That sounds awesome!

And, good luck with the FZ6 it is a great bike!

Are you going to use a bluetooth system so you can talk to each other on rides!

It seems no one on here wants my boy to have a FZ6....

:(

I put in a long post and then decided against it. Simply because it recounted in some detail a few of the experiences I've had over the years from 1971 onwards when people got in over their heads. And it wasn't pleasant reading.

So please take my advice and ensure your boy has something smaller! He should not be unleashed on an FZ6.

My son has been riding dirt bikes for years, and is a natural. I'm not going to turn him loose when he's 16. He's going to follow me for a year before I let him ride by himself.

He should not be unleashed on an FZ6.

He's not. And this really is his father's decision. I would have trusted my son on an FZ6 at 16...it really depends on maturity.

Last edited:
this my be the beer talking but i say let him have it. dont let him ride at all without u. and when yall r out slowly push him more and more. dont cross the line a do anything dangerous but let him learn what the bike is and what it and he can handle. what i mean is once u turn him loose on it by himself he is going to do all the stupid stuff we did at 16 and maybe still do now nothing u can do about that but at least he and you will know he can handle the bike. but i will say if your going to get him the bike its up to u to make sure he respects it and what it can do before u hand him the keys and say " have fun son, be safe".

thats just my opinion.

I'd also recommend the msf course. If you feel your son is ready for basically a crotch rocket on stilts then that's your call, nobody here can decide that for you. My opinion is start out a little smaller, you can buy a used ninja 250 which is a great starter bike, learn to ride it for 4-5 months, then sell it at the same cost you bought it at, and upgrade. I know at 16 entering the world of vehicles and traffic it takes a while to get used to it, mistakes get made... Mistakes just happen a bit faster on a 600 is all.

Like I said it's up to you, everybody here is just here for opinions! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting... I was hoping someone was up.

My son has been riding dirt bikes for years, and is a natural. I'm not going to turn him loose when he's 16. He's going to follow me for a year before I let him ride by himself. That's what my Dad did and I'm still alive so I'm going to make him do the same. I want him to learn good lines, now where gravel usually is in turns. practice panic braking, watch for cagers....ect

But I also want his to keep up with me when we ride brisk in the curves.

I want him develope good habits, and not develope bad ones that takes years to break.

The FZ6 from what I read is a kitten till the revs get up. With him following me I can gradually break him in and keep the revs down till he's ready.;)

your son sounds like me exactly. i've been playin in the dirt since i was a halfpint, and ive been raised around cars and bikes and racing (turning both ways) since before i could walk. i got my FZ at 18 but it was my first bike. the old man didnt let me ride without him for the first year or so. i still usually only ride with him but i cant take the bike to school so its only when i come home anyway. honestly i think it should be a good bike.

HES YOUR SON YOU SHOULD KNOW HIM AND HIS CAPABILITIES BETTER THAN ANYBODY HERE.

*just a note that the FZ is a Jekyll (0-7500RPM) and Hyde (7500-13000RPM) Machine

Edit:
Where in TN are you?
Take him to a parking lot and have him do emergency stuff.
have him:
-run over a curb
-slam the brakes randomly on YOUR COMMAND
-tight turning in parking spots
-anything else you can think of really

Last edited:
your son sounds like me exactly. i've been playin in the dirt since i was a halfpint, and ive been raised around cars and bikes and racing (turning both ways) since before i could walk. i got my FZ at 18 but it was my first bike. the old man didnt let me ride without him for the first year or so. i still usually only ride with him but i cant take the bike to school so its only when i come home anyway. honestly i think it should be a good bike.

HES YOUR SON YOU SHOULD KNOW HIM AND HIS CAPABILITIES BETTER THAN ANYBODY HERE.

*just a note that the FZ is a Jekyll (0-7500RPM) and Hyde (7500-13000RPM) Machine

Edit:
Where in TN are you?
Take him to a parking lot and have him do emergency stuff.
have him:
-run over a curb-slam the brakes randomly on YOUR COMMAND
-tight turning in parking spots
-anything else you can think of really

I don't want him jumping curbs.........lol.....;)

I'm in Columbia. I'm hoping by the middle of summer I will be able to get him a FZ6. I've been riding for 37 years and street bikes for 27. I still read articles and books on riding techniques to improve. I'll bring him along slow. I don't really trust instructors. I know a few Harley riders that took the course and are terrified of their front brake.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll be lurking and reading, and let ya know when he gets one.

Oh...to the poster that mentioned Bluetooth. It's ok for riders with a lot of experience, I don't want him distracted. I want him focused. I don't even listen to the radio when driving a car.

I would also recommend the MSF beginner course. It also gets you a discount on insurance.

I remember reading a statistic that said people without formal training are more likely to be in a crash.
Actually, just found it, List of findings in the Hurt Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
24. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

Oh...to the poster that mentioned Bluetooth. It's ok for riders with a lot of experience, I don't want him distracted. I want him focused. I don't even listen to the radio when driving a car.

Fair enough. Just didn't know if you planned on walking him through instruction while on the bike. Just a thought.

I'm going to echo just about everyone here and say DO THE MSF course and GO FOR A 500!

Dirtbikes are not analogous to road bikes, he's learning the rules of the road, etc. The FZ is a hog compared to a dirtbike (heavier). It will teach him better technique to ride a smaller bike first.

It's not that we don't want him to have an FZ6, it's just that we don't want to see a fellow rider get hurt. I started on a ninja 500r, and the next year got the FZ6. I was a little bored with the power of it after a few weeks, but I wasn't nearly as ready as I thought when I got my 6. And I grew up on dirtbikes too. It's just a different animal. Good luck and stay safe out there.

Oh and preach ATGATT to him.

I started out on dirt and my offroad ride right before i started street riding was a YZ426F... I started learning on a 250 Rebel. I wanted to just go get a 600 and was even considering learning on my dads Concours 1000... but boy am i glad i started on that Rebel. On a 250cc everything happens much slower, which is great for learning, it's a predictable, even torqued bike so it's hard to get in trouble.

Also i'm not sure what your riding but if you want your son to keep up in the twisties, bigger doesn't always mean faster. a 500cc will keep up fine if you teach proper technique, and as a first year, you don't want to push him to the "all out" phase of twisties yet.

Another thing you might consider is the Ninja 650cc...It's got a more linear and predictable torque curve than the Fazer and has a bit less power, but it's still a multi year bike, I own the Kawi Versys which has a slightly modified ninja 650 engine in it, excellent bike, and one of the only bikes i'd consider "newbie friendly" in the 600+CC category, but most people don't like the look of it, so i usually suggest a 650r or a 500 ninja, both will get you from A to B without taking boring hours.

Sounds like you have your mind set on the FZ, so i'll quit blathering, just make sure you take it slow, and keep in mind in addition to learning how to ride a street bike, at 16, he's also learning the basics of street driving (cage or 2 wheeled)

Good luck!

I say let him have it!

Then again, I'm probably closer in age to him than most of the people here, at 24. I learned on the FZ and love it. (Had a bit of experience on dirt bikes and 150cc Chinese made POSs in West Africa.) I've had my close calls, navigating Cleveland rush hour and pot holes that can eat a civic, but I don't expect you guys to be going out in conditions like that.

Having you to guide him and the ground rules established, the FZ is a great starter bike.

My only thoughts are how high the seat is and that it is pretty heavy, but that's something that, depending on size, anybody will battle with on the FZ, regardless of age, and I'd argue that a 16 year old is in better shape to wrestle that weight if he makes a mistake and steps on gravel than a 45 year old.

TL: DR
Yes, and you rock as a parent.

Back