1986 FZ600 issues

Had this issue on the above mentioned bike for a while. It was a cracked insulator boot. As I said, you have a lot of rubber on those old bikes. Old rubber gets hard and brittle, especially when exposed to a lot of heat - such as a carb insulator (the rubber between the carb and the engine). At idle, there was no problem. Once the engine got hot, the insulators leaked air and the idle did whatever it felt like that day, which was typically jumping to 3k-5k RPM's. It took me forver to find the issue because I would take off the carbs (assuming it was a carb issue) and then put them back on. It would seal for a bit, and then leak. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have taken off the carb insulators and carb boots first and checked them - and maybe noticed the hairline crack on the insulator between carb banks 2-3 (which is virtually impossible to see while on the bike).

The issue was espeically wonky because the crack was on the inside of the #2 insulator. The #2 on the Honda is the carb that all of the other carbs are sync'ed to. When it's not perfect - none are right.

Anyway, it seems like a pain now but start by checking anything that could be heat damaged (and take it off for full inspection). After everything not inside the carbs, between the engine and the intake hole forward of the air filter, is checked, then start on the electrical system. Verify the charge rate of the alternator at the battery. If that's good, check the spark plug wires. If they're brittle, replace them (with a used set of modern supersport coils and new wires, preferably). If the wires and plugs are fine, go to the pet**** and check the fuel line. Make sure that a new, high quality filter is installed in the fuel line to the carbs. Then drain the entire fuel line and remove the carbs. Re-clean the carbs with brake cleaner and use an appropriately sized guitar string (probably high E) to get down into all of idle passages (sometimes rust from the tank clogs these). Do not use carb cleaner - it kills your rubber seals.

While you are doing all this, check the valve lash just to be safe. If ALL of these things are good - call a priest...your probably going to have to drive out the demons the hard way.

If you had the carbs off, the cable is easy enough to check for binding. Just look as the side plate where the cable attached to the throttle shaft look/listen for the closing.

+1 on the above post as it very likely your head to carb boots may be cracked causing it to lean out, those rubber boots have gone thru a bunch of heat cycles and the rubber itself just disintegrates (after almost 3 decades).

Something else, pretty much mandatory, did you sync the carbs? Its likely NOT your issue but if off, it will affect performance. If one cylinder is pulling harder than another, it'll run crappy.. There should be either on the head, or more likely at the front of each carb, a brass nipple sticking out to attach a small hose for manometer to attach to. I suspect the sync to be out by quite a bit with the age, unknown previous manitainance, etc.

Check/replace those boots, sync it, then an update please..

Thanks guys!! Im gonna head over to fiddle with it today and ill for sure check all of boots and stuff. I haven't synced the carbs yet, i was actually just going to have a shop do it since i dont know what im doing when it comes to that. haha.

Ill keep yall posted though!!

Thanks guys!! Im gonna head over to fiddle with it today and ill for sure check all of boots and stuff. I haven't synced the carbs yet, i was actually just going to have a shop do it since i dont know what im doing when it comes to that. haha.

Ill keep yall posted though!!

Its very essy to sync, especially on that bike. If their charging more than $80, you can buy a liquidless, professional tool and do it yourself.

If you can pull and re-assemble carbs, syncing them is MUCH EASIER.

The 3 screws, with the springs around them inbetween the 4 carbs, thats the adjusters. Hook up the manometer on those vacuum nipples and adjust those screws until all the slides in the manometer is even..

This is what I have and recommend:

www.carbtune.com

Its paid for itself many times over...

Those carbtune units are nice.

If you're cheap like me, you go with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaTRyHxvneY

or this (I actually made and used one of these):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGsumK-mjI

In all honesty, if you have the cash to pay to get them sync'ed ($200+ where I live) you might as well get the carbtune and learn how to do carb maintenance. On inline 4's, there's a lot of things to do before you get to syncing the carbs but it is one of those essential items you'll have to do if you disassemble the carb bank.

Those carbtune units are nice.

If you're cheap like me, you go with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaTRyHxvneY

or this (I actually made and used one of these):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGsumK-mjI

In all honesty, if you have the cash to pay to get them sync'ed ($200+ where I live) you might as well get the carbtune and learn how to do carb maintenance. On inline 4's, there's a lot of things to do before you get to syncing the carbs but it is one of those essential items you'll have to do if you disassemble the carb bank.

Just a side note. Years ago, I was having some issues with my under warranty FJR. Yamaha wouldn't touch it un-less a sync was done. I ok'ed it $125.00, (didn't fix the problem but that's fine). Bought the Morgan Carbtune sometime later for the FZ (to rid some of the buzziness.)

Later did the FJR. The "Yamaha Mechanic" adjusted one of the main throttle blade shaft screws (NOT the air screw, just like the FZ) as I could see the broken white paint that was on the spring from the factory turned 1/4 turn.. Ened up putting that screw back to the stock position and syncing correctly.

With that said, in the shop manual, its in BIG BOLD, BLACK, LETTERS NOT to adjust that screw he adjusted... Paid $125 for them to screw up my bike further.

Re the sync on your older bike, as long as the valves are adjusted within spec, clean air filter, etc, its probably easier than the FI, newer bikes as their not nearly as touchy. The last carbed bike I did with the Carbtune was a Honda CB 750. Those were way out of adjustment (the guy was restoring the bike).

I believe the carbtune is about $100 now, still cheaper than a shop. I paid $80 for mine, (years ago) shipped from England with the case.

Back