15T sprocket / SpeedoDRD

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I had been contemplating this mod since I got this bike 1.5 years ago.

Finally went for it. Got a JT sprocket and the SpeedoDRD calibrator.

I have done about 80 miles with it on and just tonight did the SpeedoDRD install.

Verdict? 15T is very nice. Seems to pull harder in all gears. On the highway it is much more lively in 6th gear. And maybe it is just my imagination but the Leo Vince exhaust seems to be singing quite a bit louder than before. I know it revs higher in all gears but I'm just saying, this is the part I notice the most.

Despite what others have reported about not being able to keep the front wheel on the ground I find that to be untrue which is a welcomed surprise. One thing for sure when you let the clutch out from a stop in first you really don't have to feather it at all :thumbup:. I haven't tested gas mileage yet but of course will figure on it being less by 2-3 mpg..we'll see.

All in all very happy with the conversion and soooo easy to do. No exaggeration 20 minutes to swap out the sprocket. I spent a little more time adjusting the chain. The only undersirable part of the job is cleaning all the crud that collected off of the plastic shroud that protects the sprocket.

SpeedoDRD is plug and play. Programming was a cinch once I viewed the correct youtube video. Apparantly there was an earlier version that required different programming. I have V3.4M

And when I do another 1000+ mile tour I wouldn't hesitate to either swap the old 16T back on or even go up to 17T for better gas mileage over the long haul.

Considering the costs of going up to a higher cc bike with out of pocket investment $ and higher insurance, this is a super nice compromise. I just may have made it easier to keep this bike for a much longer time.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the conversion too ...

It's one of the best mods you can do, if you don't mint a slight increase in fuel consumption- nothing major though.

And I like it for long distance too, because the 6th gear is powerful and usable...

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
As the speedo reads a little high anyway (according to my satnav about 7%) wouldn't lowering the gearing from 16 to 15 ( a change of about 6%) make the speedo accurate?

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you need a new chain with this mod? I just got a new chain, if it fits the 15t sprocket even better :)

Pretty sure a standard length chain will be long. You can use it but your adjustment won't be as much or you can take a link or 2 out if you've got the tools and make it a little snugger.

I can't find a speedo healing device in the Uk for less then £80.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.967906,-0.035491

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
1) speedodrd is a bit less $ than speedohealer. get it at motomummy. $70 shipped to states

2) you do not need to replace the chain. the stock chain works fine. you just have to make sure the chain is adjusted properly and that takes longer than the swap itself. (for me at least it did)

3) getting consistent mpg of 46 per gallon with 15t. My mileage range had been 48-52 with typical mileage being around 49-50 mpg before the swap.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
shoot, ordered the sprocket (JT 15T)from ebay they sent me a JT 16Teeth instead of the 15teeth...crappy. but I called them & supposed to be in the mail either tomorrow or the next day. Hoping that they send me the right one this time.
Next , hopefully, with enough $$$, I would like to have a Leo Vince Slip on...;)

I didn;t purchase any SpeedOhealer or what...I'll just use my GPS for the correct speed...I hope there won't be any issues not having those... electronically